Super User
Super User

Guinness A League: Tigers v Sale Jets

Post by dailywaffle »

Anyone else see tonight's debacle?
ashtiger

Post by ashtiger »

Yes,
I saw the last half couldn't believe it.
TIGER
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Dreadful, wasn't it?

I can't remember the last time I saw such a woeful display by a Tigers side at Welford Road, absolutely shocking. Fortunate to score nil points and only concede 28.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

I'd agree with you on Sam Harrison (our best player tonight), and to some extent on Rickie Aley who showed a lot more composure than a desperately disappointing Vesty. I thought Hurrell was poor TBH; he may be quick but if he deals with the high ball as though its a hand grenade then he cannot make the step up.

Other big names who failed to impress were Youngs and Erinle (Oogie couldn't catch a cold tonight) and what was, on paper, a good front row.

Scrum getting wheeled at will, lack of power in the boiler room, beaten at the breakdown, a back line that couldn't catch and a whole series of dumb penalties conceded. The ref got a fair bit of stick, but our handling in the ruck was blatant and was quite correctly, and regularly, penalised.
Phil anj
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Phil anj »

Did any1 c how the 2nd row James Gaskell play for Sale as i see he is an england under 20 hopeful??
Tigers r the best! Forget all the rest!
smith482
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by smith482 »

didn't see anybody really put their hand up for a first team starting spot - bit of a worry when we come to lose players to internationals.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Phil anj wrote:Did any1 c how the 2nd row James Gaskell play for Sale as i see he is an england under 20 hopeful??
In fairness I didn't really focus on the Jets' individual players, but I don't recall him having an especially influential role. Apologies if I'm wrong, but their 2 jumper (which I think was Alex Shaw ?) caused us more trouble.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

smith482 wrote:didn't see anybody really put their hand up for a first team starting spot - bit of a worry when we come to lose players to internationals.
I agree, which I think is also the point that 'Hinckley member' made. Harrison was decent enough, but he's hardly likely to be getting ahead of Dupuy, Ellis and B Youngs anytime soon. In this context, the centres, Vesty and front row were especially disappointing.

Of the more established players I would say that Brett Deacon featured most. Carried well enough and made his usual tackles.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I agree, I thought Brett had a pretty good game all things considered. Am considering whether I am now the kiss of death to the development lot, since the last three times I've gone, they have lost.

It also seemed like hardly anyone was there, when one bloke yelled "come on Tigers!" near the start of the game it actually echoed round the ground like it was empty!
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Phil anj
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Phil anj »

Dailywaffle wrote:
In fairness I didn't really focus on the Jets' individual players, but I don't recall him having an especially influential role. Apologies if I'm wrong, but their 2 jumper (which I think was Alex Shaw ?) caused us more trouble.

Erm Gaskell normally jumps at 2 so cud of been him-only takin a special interest cos he is my mate lol and cudnt get down there to watch 2nite sounds like we (tigers) let r selfs down though!
Tigers r the best! Forget all the rest!
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

If Gaskell was jumping at 2 then he was solid on his own throw and disrupted ours. I'm sorry, I'd be stretching it if I said I noticed their locks any more than that, other than to say they helped wheel our scrum like a catherine wheel.
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

Sale were much quicker and more powerful than Tigers. They seemed bigger too. Tigers were outclassed.
Tigersfan90
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigersfan90 »

Rizzo wrote:It also seemed like hardly anyone was there, when one bloke yelled "come on Tigers!" near the start of the game it actually echoed round the ground like it was empty!
Haha. Any idea what the attendance was roughly? I thought it might of been ok considering the match was free to anyone who filled out a form. Although it only seemed to be advertised to the fans and not the general public.
Guinness Premiership Champions & Heineken Cup Finalists 2009
Tigers never give up !
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

I'd doubt it was much, if any, more than 2,000. One of the poorest attendances for an 'A' league fixture that I can remember.