1st team oppotunities

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

1st team oppotunities

Post by Darc Tiger »

With so many players leaving this season, I can see a healthy development in feeding some of our academy/development XV players into the 1st team this season, especially during internationals.

Here are a few players I think shud get some game time this season. (Apologies in advance if a mentioned player is on loan)

Manu/Vavae Tuilagi
Greg Gillanders
Greg Sammons (Need hooker cover)
Ben Youngs
Matt Smith
Dan Cole
Ben Pienaar

Who would you give the opportunity?
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

Darc Tiger, of those players, Greg Gillanders is no longer at Tigers as he signed for Bedford over the summer.

Greg Sammons is also at Bedford next year on a season-long loan, along with Ben Pienaar.

I agree that Dan Cole (who won't be at Bedford this season) has the ideal opportunity to step up towards the 1st XV, along with Ben Youngs.

My guess is that once again, Matt Smith may spend much of this season on loan in ND1 though.

I think Vavae will be a development team regular but is still too raw for the 1st XV & Manu, while well built, is still far too young & needs another year in the Academy & Dev XVs (It's easy to forget given his size, but he's still only 17!)

Ricky Aley & Mitch Culpin would be two of my outside bets for more chances this season (in addition to players you've already mentioned like Cole, Smith & Youngs of course).
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Gillanders is at Bedford for the whole season - not just a loan move.

Ben Youngs is the obvious one - he should be third in the pecking order and get plenty of games with Ellis away.

Expecting good things from Dan Cole, and a 10-game season would be a good start.

Matt Smith is one I'd like to see some more of. Like Cornwell, he seems to have been in the first team squad for a while without getting any opportunities. If he is ignored this season, then £10 says he's off by this time next year.

Among the others I'm keen to see in oine or two games are a couple of the lads in the U18 England squad - the likes of Forsyth, Cobden or Hurrell. Not asking for too much, just a bit of time to let them taste first team action.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Ah rite thnx for clearing that up.

Maybe its just the wish to see more Tuilagi's in the squad. :smt003

Agree on Aley and Culpin, but I think maybe the England under 18's wouldnt quite cut it 1st team at the minute.
sammy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sammy »

Rickie Aley has signed for Nuneaton on loan this season.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Hurrell with a hatrick against the junior pumas I see