Seru gets 9 weeks

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Sorry jg. Me being niaive again!! :smt016 :smt016 :smt016
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Actually, being very serious, I think this is one where th Club owe us, the shareholders, season ticket holders, members and fans an explanation.

Did the club know the Seru was playing in these games? Did they condone it? Did they check with RFU? Names should be named and responsibility apportioned.

RAndrew had no code of conduct in place in NZ and so he escapes scot free and the guilty get a slap on the wrist. What code of conduct (for playing non Tigers games) do Tigers have in place for their players? From whom do they have to seek authorisation?

It is fairly obvious to me that (in the absence of specific authorisation from the RFU) Seru should not have played. But it is also fairly obvious to me that even in the absence of a specific ban the activity of the five was equally stupid.

Transparency please Tigers. Let the full facts be known!
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

And presumably he is OK to play from July 7 to Aug 15!!!

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
billy_hyslop

Post by billy_hyslop »

obviously i think seru was stupid for going against the ban, which is entirely unprofessional, but at the same time i feel for him, because he loves to play rugby, hes not just in it to earn money, and thats what he did, he played in a few sevens tournements.

dont get me wrong i strongly disaprove of what he has done, and also think if tigers did know (which im sure they must of) it should of bin them paying a fine, not seru having a ban, but i do feel sorry for seru as its now another 9 weeks of him not being able to do what he loves!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

A very reasonable view billy hyslop. And one we can all identify with.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

Can I assume that Seru will not be paid by Tigers for the duration of his ban?
adam789

Post by adam789 »

Not saying anything about the ban at all, just the timing.

This is a ban which has been given to Seru as an individual, which has nothing to do with Tigers as a club - he even got the ban for playing with a different team. But the ban has been set for the time which hurts Tigers as a club the most, even though the club were in no way guilty of any crime.

This seems absolutely appalling to me, and completely without reason.

What next? Are they going to start banning players and instead of allocating an amount of weeks just choose a handful of the games most pivotal to the club's campaign? :smt013 :smt013
Formerly known as LeisurePirate...
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Why would you assume that Pete? But perhaps the club will tell us, along with who in the club authorised him to play etc etc

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

adam789 wrote:Not saying anything about the ban at all, just the timing.

This is a ban which has been given to Seru as an individual, which has nothing to do with Tigers as a club - he even got the ban for playing with a different team. But the ban has been set for the time which hurts Tigers as a club the most, even though the club were in no way guilty of any crime.

This seems absolutely appalling to me, and completely without reason.

What next? Are they going to start banning players and instead of allocating an amount of weeks just choose a handful of the games most pivotal to the club's campaign? :smt013 :smt013
Only if the club is Tigers! For Wasps it will be the other way!

I know, I know - red green and white tinted spectacles!!

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Several points here.
1)The club alone should be held accountable as Seru's employer and allowing him to play.
2) RFU have no idea - it's OK to set a bad example to young supporters when on tour but you get a life sentence for a reckless act.
3)Based on the decision in Seru's case when he does play he should carry the ball near his face so that no one will be able to tackle him as they would know that they may catch him in the eye and then be cited for being reckless.
4) Leave the guy alone he is an awesome player and puts in a 100% for the tigers.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Excellent points fat one!!

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Bill W wrote:Nonetheless, play in charity sevens and get an (effective) 12 week ban. Screw the local totty and get fined £1000 seems hard to align.
Non comparabel events surely? One is for a misdemeanor off the pitch, the other for breaching a ban resulting from something that happened on the pitch. There would always be different types of punishment for different types of offence.

But that's off topic. On topic, I've got no sympathy for anyone on this one. The club may have a responsibility to its players, but players have to meet them halfway. Seru is an adult and needs to be able to look after himself. As everyone has said, we don't know whether he got advice, got bad advice or ignored the advice, but he must take the lions share of the blame for this one.

He has a responsibility to the people who pay him a very fair wage to play rugby and he has, IMO, failed them.
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Can't disagree westy.

To play whilst serving a ban is extremely serious, and potentially brings the whole game into disrepute. Were the RFU to 'go easy' on him then it would send out completely the wrong signal. I feared that he would get the book thrown at him ... and he has. It could have been even worse. Talk of any anti-Tigers bias is way off-beam, IMO.

Of course, its inevitable that that the club are also punished, but what other sanction is available? The RFU can hardly issue a stiff sanction without affecting his employer (by default). If Seru did act without consulting the club, then I would expect Tigers to punish him further; whether it be by a suspension of wages, fine or compulsory contribution towards the MHT is up to them.