Fastest man in rugby

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:30 pm

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote:
Bill W wrote:Two players both with identical 100m times.

The player who reaches his terminal velocity earliest will score the try/catch the other player even though his terminal velocity is lower than that of the other player.
Going to be a pedant, scoring when starting behind your own try line? running at an angle across the pitch? corner to corner a pitch can be about 160m including in goal areas...
Starting behind your own try line may make the distance more than 100m and therefore, should the player with the earlier terminal velocity be slowing down (relatively) he could be disadvantaged. You would only run at an angle to increase the distance the other player has to run - not necessary if you have the earlier terminal velocity. As a tactic against the player with the earlier terminal velocity it will not work - he will already have tackled you!

But, in any event, the 100m time (or 120m or 160m) is not the most significant factor.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007

Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:45 pm

Bill W wrote:Starting behind your own try line may make the distance more than 100m and therefore, should the player with the earlier terminal velocity be slowing down (relatively) he could be disadvantaged. You would only run at an angle to increase the distance the other player has to run - not necessary if you have the earlier terminal velocity. As a tactic against the player with the earlier terminal velocity it will not work - he will already have tackled you!

But, in any event, the 100m time (or 120m or 160m) is not the most significant factor.
Agree that the 100m time is not overly improtant but the distance could easily be more than 100m. Tigers defending a yard out, turnover, Flood boots the ball the length of the pitch and Tom V is sprinting from the opposite wing should Flood fail to find touch

I'm also surprised no-one has mentioned Zeno's Paradoxes - the person that manages to take the first step will always win the race therefore reaction time is the only thing that matters although I suppose that due to his dicchotomy paradox no-one would ever reach the try line

Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:58 pm

'The slower when running will never be overtaken by the quicker; for that which is pursuing must first reach the point from which that which is fleeing started, so that the slower must necessarily always be some distance ahead.'
Zenos "Archilles"(If I remember rightly).

In other words just score the tries, the more points scored by one team will win the game. Basic requirement of winning. Deanos law.

the stig
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by the stig » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:59 am

about lol not being the fastest in a reasonably priced car it was actually stated that if he had been a couple of stone lighter he would have set the fastest time!! :smt023

Rizzo

Post by Rizzo » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:55 pm

Indeed it did, Stig, but the optimum word there is "IF" - and even then Rory and Tony Underwood would have beaten him for speed.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother

KingKong(2.15)
Tiger Cub

Post by KingKong(2.15) » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:44 pm

Dont know that hes the quickest, but probably not near the likes of Habana.
But, honourable mention for Mike Pike a Canadian.
Had the gas to outpace the Kiwis over 80m for an interception at the 2003 RWC(i think). Cracking score.

Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:52 pm

The point is, what can you do, in terible conditions, with your boots on, a few seconds after being banged to the ground by your opponents and given a bit of a duffing up for good measure?

And can you swerve around and evade tackles?

For me, Tom Varndel is the man, because he's used his pace to become the Prem's top try scorer whilst playing for a team notorious for not getting the ball out to the wing.

Tom has proved himself. The rest of the current batch are just pretenders at the moment.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!

the stig
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by the stig » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:47 pm

austin was a bit of a speed freak on the pitch and the track!! so i've heard. but i think tom vandell has got to be up there as one of the fastest men to have played and mathew tait isnt far behind did anybody notice how he nearly caught habana from the opposite wing last summer and he is "the fastest man in rugby" as they say!!! :smt023

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:56 pm

Front Row Union Member...yes....Tait catching Habana from behind in the summer....nasty business !!

I vote for Jordan Crane ! He's quicker than most think !

...in the Tigers warm-up, when they run across the pitch...Tom Varndell always wins, followed closely by Tom Croft, although I appreciate that the players are not flat out !

Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:34 am

It always makes me laugh when Tom's on the subs bench.

The subs will come down in front of the A&L for a bit of a runabout.

When it comes to a "sprint" some of the players are really giving it some, whilst Tom just starts off at the back and then glides past them all at an easy canter.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!

CharlesStuart
Top Cat
Top Cat

Bryan Habana no doubt at all about his speed, a real Ferrari

Post by CharlesStuart » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:28 am

No doubt that the fastest rugby player is Bryan Habana from the Boks, I saw him in Paris playing against England and Argentina, and he was amazing, he runs like a cheetah or a leopard, really unbelievable. Sergio Parisse the Italian captain is quite fast as well, but too heavy to run and compete with Habana, do you know that 9 of the “Italian playersâ€￾ are born in Argentina and had played here for almost all their lives, including Sergio. :smt023
When you make a mistake, don't look back at it long. The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power.

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:39 pm

Hmmmmm....I think you'll find that Crane would take Parisse in a foot race any day of the week young man.

SkippyTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by SkippyTiger » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:19 am

Steve Booth was fairly rapid in his day :smt003 I seem to recall an incident where he was given offside on the basis that the Ref said he HAD to be offside in order to get to the ball that quick...

.. replay showed him to be about 20 meters onside :smt043