Marcello speaks to the French press

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Marcello speaks to the French press

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

I took some time for a rough and cranky translation of an interview of Marcello Loffreda, published in monday's "Midi Olympique", the French authoritative, inaccurate and full of gossip rugby Times.

Could you elaborate on how you were sacked by Leicester management ?

It was a shock, very sudden. Peter Tom and Peter Wheeler have scheduled an emergency meeting to decide of my fate. It is all the more hard to take as for four days I had prepared at their request a report on the season and the season to come. I handled it the 5th in the evening and the morning afetr I was told I was sacked. So the report wasn’t read.

Didn’t you expect it, with the results shown by the Tigers ?

I still had two years of contract and the decision was made in less than 4 hours.When I arrived I made no promise of instant success. Today I know I can face myself in the mirror. I gave a 100% day after day.

We’d like to understand, was it hard to work ?

Let’s put it this way : I never felt totally easy at the club. The coaching staff : Neil Back, Richard Cockerill, Andy Key and Jamie Hamilton were always polite, but the atmosphere was rather cold. They always kept their distances. My mistake was perhaps not to have found soemeone I could be close to and whom I really trusted. But as I joined the club after RWC, much had been done without my help, there was always this kind of (I can find a better translation than “discrepancy”), so things were more complicated.
[.....]

Did the fans welcome you inside the Tigers family ?

They were always great, especially on the club’s website, not only were they nice to me but to my family. Al this is all the more regrettable that Dolorèsn my wife and our five kids had found their landmarks there and began to feel good in Leicester.
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
BenWL
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by BenWL »

Good to see he read the forums...!

If he did then it can hardly have been a "surprise" when he was sacked.

Also, it is fairly obvious about the intentions of the back room staff, almost as if they had been plotting for ages. Something we had all suspected.

Let's hope the new coach is welcomed much better and not stabbed in the back before he even arrives.
I'm the one in the Tigers shirt on the 22. You can't miss me...!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

We can argue forever whether or not he was the right man for the job or not - BUT the way he was treated within the club - by his back room staff, the players and his employers - the Board - was an absolute disgrace and will be a mark of shame on the History of Leicester Tigers for years to come.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Hmmmm!!!! As we suspected!
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

THEY HAD TO GO

Post by smalldell »

Do not know how Cockerill can stay, he is clearly part of the whole thing..

As for Peter Tom and Wheeler the sooner someone ousts them the better...they are only interested in themselves...

Hope the new head man realises the mess he has stepped into...
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Re: THEY HAD TO GO

Post by kornboy130 »

smalldell wrote:As for Peter Tom and Wheeler the sooner someone ousts them the better...they are only interested in themselves...
you dont have clue.
sammy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: THEY HAD TO GO

Post by sammy »

kornboy130 wrote:
smalldell wrote:As for Peter Tom and Wheeler the sooner someone ousts them the better...they are only interested in themselves...
you dont have clue.
Spot on Kornboy. Marcelo was a nice bloke, and I feel sorry for him, but I'm more than happy with what has happened this Summer.

We fluked into two finals, and we were comprehensively beaten in both. We were poor.

Wheeler and Tom have done a huge amount for the club, and will continue to do so. They have my full support.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Wheeler & Tom may have the best interests of the Club at Heart if so why hasn't Cockerill been shown the door, the board must take responsibilty for the way Tigers name has been dirtied by the whole affair, Good Luck ML & I hope you get the chance to take your revenge on the pitch in the future.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote:Wheeler & Tom may have the best interests of the Club at Heart if so why hasn't Cockerill been shown the door, the board must take responsibilty for the way Tigers name has been dirtied by the whole affair, Good Luck ML & I hope you get the chance to take your revenge on the pitch in the future.
Firing him would cost money. Accepting his resignation is free.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Coby

Post by Coby »

Perhaps they know things that we don't, Cockerill may not have played such a great part in Marcelos departure as we think. If the board acted as quickly as he says then it must have been playing on their mind for some time. Both Tom and Wheeler have my full backing.
Its No7 nature to never give in, give up or settle for second best.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Sammy, we "fluked" into 2 finals ??!! So we were lucky to demolish Wasps in one of the games of the season in the EDF semi-final then ?
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Bill W wrote:Hmmmm!!!! As we suspected!
What, that a disgruntled and fired ex-employee chooses to paint himself in a positive light in the media?

And that his former employers choose not to engage in a pointless and far too public a discussion about his (alleged) failings.

Astonishing.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Come on dw...let's move on from this...let's look to the future !! ;)
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

dailywaffle wrote:
Bill W wrote:Hmmmm!!!! As we suspected!
What, that a disgruntled and fired ex-employee chooses to paint himself in a positive light in the media?

And that his former employers choose not to engage in a pointless and far too public a discussion about his (alleged) failings.

Astonishing.
Actually I do not think he did paint himself in a positive light.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

You are right Bill but never let the truth get in the way of the facts eh?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.