Neil Back - "Front Runner" !

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Neil Back - "Front Runner" !

Post by mightymouse »

According to the Mercury (I know it is not the font of all knowledge but sometimes they get the inside track) - Neil Back is the "Front runner"

The same Neil Back who name is mentioned at the departure of Dean Richards - the same Neil Back who was invisible when it came to supporting the boss in a crisis this season?

The Same Neil Back whose defensive coaching led to leaking more tries that a sieve?

Is this serious?- - great player in his day - yes - but proven coach -Idon't think so - have you heard the bloke?- they said the team sniggered at Loffredas English in the team talks!- Master tactition - this is the fellow who could not understand the rules in Gladiators!
Last edited by mightymouse on Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:10 am, edited 8 times in total.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

mm....I think the time for finger-pointing etc has now gone. It will all come out in the wash (someone's book !) about what REALLY happened. I am not a huge fan of what Neil Back has done over the last few months, but what I do know is that he was and still is a Tigers legend, respected by ALL players, including the current squad I suspect. If that is the case and we're all driving towards a common goal, then I'm all for it.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

If this is true then we're doomed, doomed I tell yee. The man was an abject failure as a captain, what on earth makes anyone think he'd make a manager?

I'm more and more convinced that he and Cockers must have some incriminating photos of one or more board members.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by 1966 »

If true what a disaster.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

I question his judgement, ever since he went on TV after Bob Dwyer had been sacked and announced that "Well he didn't have a lot of experience, did he"? This was AFTER Dwyer had previously coached Australia to World Cup victory in 1991!!

I will be shocked if he gets the job, especially as I think, of the 2, Cockerill is the more, let's say, eloquent.

I still hope for a clean sweep.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Well if it turns out to be true then I'll give one more season as an ST and if as Peter Tom says the new coach does not make the grade then he will be gone just like ML and so will I.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
triage

Post by triage »

rugby heaven is quoting gibson as being front runner...they seem to think that he has been talking for awhile.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
Albert Einstein 1879-1955
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

I personally believe that Director Of Rugby would be a good job for Back. Allows him to not worry about coaching, but more sorting tatics, and from his playing days we all know he has got a tactical mind.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
BrianB
Tiger Cub

Post by BrianB »

Am unimpressed with the news in the Mercury today about how the sacking was done.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Think i might prefer EOS over Back....that tells you all you need to know on my opinions!
To win is not as important as playing with style!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Steady on now - you'll be suggesting Dallagliaglio next!
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Bashton's available. or how about Andy Robinson?

(I can hear the howls of protest already)
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

I think Backy should have a role in the coaching set up but not as head coach - I don't think he commands respect in the way that Deano and Paddy did. I also agree with the comments about our defence - it's been abysmal this season and he is largely responsible for that and what he knows about back play you could probably scribble down on the back of a postage stamp.
tigerben
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Neil Back - "Front Runner" !

Post by tigerben »

mightymouse wrote: The Same Neil Back whose defensive coaching led to leaking more tries that a sieve?
ok, we let a lot of tries in this season, but bare in mind we were the only side that no-one else could score 4 or more tries againsts throughout the entire season, even away at bath when they'd got 3 tries in the first half and could of easily got 4 or even more in the first half altogther. Thats got to stand for something

this means less points to other teams in the table, not just on the match score
Leicester Football Club.
First Back to Back European Champions.
First Club to win an Away Guiness Premiership Play-off Semi-Final.
British by Birth - Welsh by the Grace of God
BrianB
Tiger Cub

Post by BrianB »

Does Backy have any management qualifications?