New Maul Laws

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Good, got rid of them - We don't need mauls - lineouts next and then all that silly pushing in the scrum - if fact I think there are too many on the park anyway lets take a couple away from each team and do away with rucks as well a shove back through the legs would be a good way to restart. but let's not overcomplicate things for the semi numerate - lets only have 6 tackles at a time...............I was never much struck on the name union either - I'm sure we could come up with a catchier title for a game!!!!!!!!!
triage

Post by triage »

you wont see me in court as i am neither a member of the IRB or the RFU that was one of the members ratifying it.....from what i understand the WRU, RFU, SFU and IRU all didn't want this law so must have accepted it as a bargaining for a different law.

However most of the concerns raised by that post have been already answered by the IRB (with the exception of the SA trials). Also the document posted earlier http://www.irb.com/mm/document/newsmedi ... l_5097.pdf was posted after that of the RFU posting you have shown me. What the outcome will be I don't know...however the IRB are (I should imagine) going to go out on a limb for this one as they have already made concessions to the northern hemisphere....england would also not be able to compete in the age grade home nations tournaments as this would be played under IRB laws and not the RFU laws. With these Laws only being in the game for a year how do they plan on introducing them at a later date? I can not see most of the unions (especially the RFU) agreeing to the maul collapse being legalised in 12 months time.

However one thing is for certain I will not be in court and I am guessing you will not be either.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
Albert Einstein 1879-1955
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Triage

I ham not renowned as a supporter of either the RFU of Mr. Baron. On this one, however, they both have my support.

A collapsed maul, an 18 year old with a broken neck and the ref (i.e. the RFU) face a criminal negligence case?

The IRB cannot even legislate for non crooked scrum feeds!
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
triage

Post by triage »

Bill W wrote:Triage

I ham not renowned as a supporter of either the RFU of Mr. Baron. On this one, however, they both have my support.

A collapsed maul, an 18 year old with a broken neck and the ref (i.e. the RFU) face a criminal negligence case?

The IRB cannot even legislate for non crooked scrum feeds!

As a referee I totally agree with it being a nonsense law....the top level may be able to cope with this but youth rugby, local teams and seconds teams is a big no no. I can not see them having the skill level or the want to do this properly. I can't believe the RFU would have the court case though as it is the IRB that are forcing these laws through.

As for non crooked feeds at the scrum...legislation is there
law 20.6
(d)The scrum half must throw in the ball straight along the middle
line, so that it first touches the ground immediately beyond the
width of the nearer prop’s shoulders.
Penalty: Free Kick
However it has been said by some that in the interests of entertainment at top levels of the game leeway is given....This should not be the case any more as I know that in the last world cup the riot act was read to referees allowing scrum halves to put the ball in practically at the second row...this year i have seen far more strikes against the head as a result (at top level rugby).

the law is there it depends on whether it is enforced.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Triage

I don't think the IRB would get cited in the English Law Courts. The RFU control (and insure) the referees.

With regard to scrum feeds the law has been clear for years. And Paddy O'Brian emphasized it. And the vast majority of top class refs ignore it.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
triage

Post by triage »

Bill W wrote:Triage

I don't think the IRB would get cited in the English Law Courts. The RFU control (and insure) the referees.

With regard to scrum feeds the law has been clear for years. And Paddy O'Brian emphasized it. And the vast majority of top class refs ignore it.

ironically lower down if we miss the ball going in not straight our assessors go to town on us :)
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Daily has said the same!

Good for your assessors!

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007