Marcelo GONE. Its official.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

GS wrote:OK, I've skimmed through the last 5 pages of posts, but most seemed against the decision.

Who do we get? Popular opinion is Jake White. He'll be used to it. "What have you won?'

'The World Cup.'

'Is that all? Sod off.'
That made me smile. Thanks.
hughes

Post by hughes »

:smt009 Keep it simple,M.L should not of been pushed,others should of! :smt013
Do not go where the path may lead,go instead where there is no path and leave a trail for others to follow!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Whoever is appointed, IMHO opinion, has to make three immediate decisions:

1. Fire Cokerill and Back;

2. Demand that Cohen reports to him and him alone.

3. Ban all Board members from the dressing room and all players from talking to Board members.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Bill...agree with Number 1....undecided on 2 & 3.
penfold
Tiger Cub

Post by penfold »

Sad day to be a Leicester and a rugby fan. Maybe I'm stuck in an "ELV's make the game like netball, give a decent bloke a chance" emotional, romantic timewarp, I dunno, but when 2 finals in a first season doesn't equal a solid return, I guess I'll look at drawing a pension.

So the next poor sod gets 9 months to win something or he's gone. I wish him all the best. I hope we have the balls to appoint an outsider that sticks up for himself, which seems to have been ML's greatest weakness. Id've walked.

I'll go and cry with my videos of rucking, backwards passing and rolling mauls....
disgusted_tiger

Post by disgusted_tiger »

fear i have to call us the chelsea of rugby, with great disgust im afraid. peter tom and wheeler are a liability to this club. they are no longer wanted, they are drilling this club away from success. he can put a medioca side 3rd in the world, attract the ronaldo of rugby (hernandez) to the club, within inches of signing him had he not been sacked, and showed promise and ability, even with the pain of the useless cockerill and back! sack the board, sack back, and grow some backbone! cockerill can slate the team and get away with it, yet greatness eludes the boards eyes! pathetic! disgraced to call myself a tiger!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I have edited a post on the previous page showing a personal email address for Peter Tom. You should all be well aware that open forum is not the place for anyone's personal email address, and the one I have edited in WILL work.

I have personally checked emails to
[email protected]
[email protected]

both of these worked. You could also use [email protected] and put the person you wish to address in the subject line. Many of you will know that emails to the Club or to the two Peters do get replies - although since there will be bound to be a deluge of emails for them, you may have to be patient.

Reminder: personal emails (anyone's) should not be posted on open forum and any Tigers' people's personal email addresses posted will be edited.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
gman

Post by gman »

I wonder how we would have felt about this whole situation if TV hadn't scored that injury time try against Quinns. On reflection, we were within a nats chuff of coming 7th which probably would have been a fair reflection on our performance, it certainly would have made this change of direction far easier for the board. I can't believe they hadnt made their decision ages ago.

I really dont like how Marcelo has been treated, wrong appointment in the first place it now seems and a lack of support from his fellow coaches.

I'm sure he and family will be considerably compensated however.
Last edited by gman on Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

At least Loffreda has carried himself well and in a dignified manner both in front of the press and when he was coach, which is more than can be said for the disgraceful behaviour of certain other people connected with the club. I think that Loffreda is better off out of it to be honest and who in their right mind is going to take the job on having scene the debacle of the last few months ?
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

What a load of idiotic morons the tigers board are. They should look at themselves, plus Back and Cockerill who I suspect had alot to do with this. :smt018

I think there should be a change right through the club from top right down to the bottom.

I have lost all respect for these numpties and are so glad I don't give them my hard earned cash anymore.
scouse tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by scouse tiger »

You can't tell but I'm Mooning here :butthead:

(ps that is at the Board by the way)

Apologies but most things have been said in the above posts.

Good luck in the future ML.
My Wild Oats Have turned to Shredded Wheat
Deeeeano

Post by Deeeeano »

A really good and brave decision by the board, I applaud them.
Marcello clearly couldn't cut it at a professional club. Whilst we managed to reach two finals, the performances throughout the season have not been good enough. We have played some shocking rugby at times and there was no sign of any improvement throughout the year. Ok he was taking time to settle in but you would have expected to see a steady increase in playing quality. This coupled with the fact that most off the players seem miserable and hacked of makes me think Lofredda had lost the dressing room an that is definitely was the right decision to get rid of him.
It was clearly too much of a learning curve for him. I was always struck by the naivety of his comments in the press. One example was saying that he now realises the Heineken cup is a tough competition - oh really, glad you finally sussed it after we go knocked out. He also seemed to struggle with managing the big squad and the rotation policy.
He is undoubtedly a nice bloke and I do feel sorry for him, but in the interest of seeing Tigers win some trophies next season he had to go.

As for the two Peters I think they do an absolutely outstanding job and have been responsible for making Tigers the great club that it is. I believe they always act with the best interest of Tigers at heart and whilst they have made a mistake in appointing Lofredda in the first place it is difficult to know for certain how a coach will work out so I will forgive them for that.

Backy and Cockers, two outstanding players, both of whom would die for the club. They seemed to be up to the job last year when we won 2 trophies and got to a third final. Additionally they seemed to be doing ok at the start of the season with half the squad missing at the RWC. I can't believe people are blaming them for the poor performances. Anyway, rant over.

Looking forward to next season. I'll be there on the terrace with bells on cheering the boys on! Just please oh please can we beat Wasps in a final next season!!
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

If Back and Cockerill are in charge next season then god help us. What good has Cockerill done this season with the forwards? Absolutely nothing he has got them playing boring predictable stuff which other teams can easily read. Back seems to have done naff all on the defence side this season as teams have just waltzed through the players at will.

I cannot see these two taking us forward if they are appointed and I hope they fail as it will show the board of directors that they are just as incompetant as the coaches they have hired.

I really do believe that Back and Cockerill will get the positions I hope not for the future of the club.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="dailywaffle"]westy, what it does demonstrate is that we appointed (in the board's view) the wrong man.

[b]If [/b]the board are correct in sacking him, then its the hiring, not the firing, that's the problem.[/quote]

So, in summary, Messrs Tom and Wheeler have hired, at huge expense,then 8 months later, fired ,presumably at huge expense, a Head Coach. To get him they took months, they scoured the globe, and they interviewed, and rejected several other candidates.
End result of this unfortunate series of events - embarrassment,significant financial cost,untold damage to the reputation of the Club, and the need(and cost) for another coach to be appointed,(and get used to the players and the set-up etc before the new season starts).
In short, a total c**k-up.
The only person to pay for this mess so far is ML, and his family.
As it is the same people who did both the hiring and the firing, they are culpable.Are they honourable?
gman

Post by gman »

controversial Deeeeano!... I suspect in time a lot of us might be inclined to agree with you when the bad taste has disappeared