Marcelo GONE. Its official.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

If this is based on the rugby we have been playing then it is a really bad call. Having accepted he needed time to bed in and get settled when he was appointed it seems a ridiculous decision.

If he had truely lost the dressing room beyond redemption and things were very bad behind the scenes and this definitely was Marcelo's fault then fair enough.

I just don't know. Seems far too hasty for me.
VamosLaTablada!

Post by VamosLaTablada! »

I just want say thank you to Marcelo.
I can't asses his job, (obviously 6 month is a short period, only our "very clever" board can do that)but the one thing I can asses in this period is that he is a real gentelman. He never gave a stupid excuse in defeat or took the merits in victory. He believed in the team until the end (may be he was the only one!!) and he worked hard with his ideas. He supported the players all time,(like goode or white's case). He was backstabbed by Tigers foward coach, but he supported it with dignity. He reached two finals in six months and he deserved a full year trainning chance.But will be in another club, you should have won the three cups !!!!

I wish Marcelo the best for his future.

We use to say "once a Tiger always a Tiger", but I'm not sure you want to carry with this after the treatment you have received. But real supporters will always remember you as a real Tiger !! as I will do.
Thanks
It's better in Cordoba (ARG)
Hairy Egg
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Hairy Egg »

dailywaffle wrote:westy, what it does demonstrate is that we appointed (in the board's view) the wrong man.

If the board are correct in sacking him, then its the hiring, not the firing, that's the problem.
DW I agree with you there and I hope that they hold themselves accountable for the that misjudgement.

I've expressed my disappointment and calmed down a bit now and, as I don't know the full facts, will watch and wait for further clarification!

I shall then get behind whoever takes over...
georgierockssocks
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by georgierockssocks »

I have to say i was a little surprised that they didn't give ML a bit more time but i guess its all about the win now :smt012

Nothing we can do now but winge and moan but whats done is done and we have to move on and look forward to the next coach.

I hope for their sake that they get a trophy next season :smt002
Shogun
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Shogun »

Obviously ML's attitude, thoughts and coaching methods must have changed over the last year, or Peter Tom has to admit he made a mistake.

From Apr 2007

"Marcelo has done a marvellous job in taking Argentina to the top ranks of the international game.

"He is recognised as a top-class coach, and has developed a squad of quality players to the point where they have reached number six in the world rankings.

"I have been impressed by his thoughts on the game, his approach to coaching and his ideas on how to take Leicester Tigers forward."

"We look forward to the fresh input from Marcelo, as well as the continued development of the existing staff and players at the club."
Easty

Post by Easty »

I keep seeing the phrase "it's a business decision"

If that's the case, then the next "business decision" will be to sack the person who so obviously 'failed' in recruiting the wrong man for the job.

Of course assuming that it's the right decision this time
KingKong(2.15)
Tiger Cub

Post by KingKong(2.15) »

This is a disgraceful decision.
Not only did Tigers spend a lot of money getting him, he deserved way more than eight months in charge. He is such a good coach. The problem is with the club not the coach. If there is a big issue of player power and other personal issues behind the scene then the management board (above Loffreda) should have knocked player's heads together and brought them into line. The board should have stuck by the coach. And two finals, and although it has not been consistent, there has been the odd occasion when the team has played some fantastic rugby. With a full preseason the consistency would have been worked, especially if the players and other staff had been brought into line by the board.
chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chappie »

Ok, so when shall we see Jake White as our new head coach? :smt023
Sorry to see ML go,but never thought he was right for us in the first place, at the time we should have gone for Robbie Deans before he decided to take up the offer from OZ. :smt002
Franck Tournaire Number 1 fan.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Easty wrote:I keep seeing the phrase "it's a business decision"

If that's the case, then the next "business decision" will be to sack the person who so obviously 'failed' in recruiting the wrong man for the job.

:smt024

Absolutely agree. I hate to see good people's lives ruined by poor recruitment. The phrase hanging people out to dry springs to mind as well. As has been said, the board are culpable, and a good man has suffered through what I perceive to be incompetence and weak management. I too would not want see either Cockerill or Back put in charge. I also agree 100% with the need for new blood, new ideas, which is why I am so disappointed at the decision to sack ML.

ML: Good luck to you; I hope you can bounce back.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

westy154 wrote:I keep coming back to the same conclusion though: Sacking or not, right man/better coach or not, the board of Leicester Football Club made a very serious error in his appointment (in it's own implied admission) and someone must pay the price with their job.
I agree that the club's recruitment process should now be subject to serious scrutiny. Particularly when you also consider the JMH / Nick Evans business.
Haze

Post by Haze »

I am beginning to regret paying for my three year season ticket. The Board take it for granted that they will have the loyalty of the fans, players and other personnel, so perhaps they should have reciprocated with ML. There is obviously more to this than meets the eye but perhaps it should be Peter Tom and Peter Wheeler who step down (but then, who is it behind the new stand development and grabbing as much money out of the true fans as they can?) Am I alone in thinking that most true supporters of the club and the game believe that ethics and sportsmanship is more important than money?
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Haze I think your point explains why so many people are against this decision. Many seem to be offended and hurt by this, and I hope that the Board takes note.
dangough

Post by dangough »

We had this when Deano went. There is clearly fault on both sides but only one side seems to be taking the blame. The board, Cockers and Back need to take a long look at themselves. Whether it is hiring the wrong guy in the first place or back stabbing, they all must share the blame and face the consequences.

Good luck to Mr Loffreda. As someone else said on another thread, he is not a bad coach, just a square peg in a round hole. I wish him and his family well.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

OK, I've skimmed through the last 5 pages of posts, but most seemed against the decision.

Who do we get? Popular opinion is Jake White. He'll be used to it. "What have you won?'

'The World Cup.'

'Is that all? Sod off.'
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.