Marcelo GONE. Its official.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

boondock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boondock »

there are some people at tigers who should hang their heads in shame (though i dont suppose they will).

loffreda is not one of them.

glad to realise that some of you understand that this kind of action will damage the perception of the club as far as the rest of the rugby community is concerned. particularly not good in terms of recruiting as the subtext is clearly fit in and succeed straight off or ship out...

i solemnly promise never to start a chant of 'are you chelsea in disguise?' but cant promise i'll always resist joining in if someone else does :smt002
"I don't recall Boondock posting inflammatory comments on here. I can see nothing wrong with him, except for him being a Saint..." westy154 18/03/08
fogba
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by fogba »

Dave wrote:I can't believe tigers have done this.

One thing that comes to mind is who on earth will want to come and work for the club after this display.

Is Brian Ashton still available ??
Irish by birth, Munster by the grace of God, now living in Leicester for my sins.
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Dave, spot on, but then the people upstairs haven't got the sense we have.

Nik, sorry to say this and don't want to sound smarmy, likes of yourselves were conned into buying a three season option by those upstairs. More should have seen waht was coming and not bothered to renew their season ticket like myself.

This sacking of the head coach and by those below him, will do wonders for sales of new season tickets, I don't think. Says he in heavy sarcasm.
Tiger Ant

Post by Tiger Ant »

Long time Tigers fan who rarely posts here, but I have to say I am shocked - he should have been given a full season at least. I hope the next coach/director of rugby/whatever is given the opportunity to select his own coaching staff, so that he can implement his own vision without being undermined.
maskedsquid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by maskedsquid »

If we appoint someone who proves to be a success, people will soon begin to overlook the ML sacking incident. It will only reflect badly on us in the long term if we fail to find a suitable replacement.

If we do get a successful replacement, I think today's decision will prove to be justified. If we don't, then the board will have some serious soul searching to do.
It's only cheating if you get caught.
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

I very much doubt it. Likes of Cockers will be allowed to stay. That's if we manage to get anyone else.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

simon redshaw wrote:Even you, Jan, as a moderator, must admit that the board have treated ML wrongly.

I am sorry but this sacking has got many people more then upset, and with high feelings, you are likely to get some strong language.

I hope mine has not been that derogoratory, but it is understandable that people are going to be less then complementary about this board.
I have said all I am going to say on my earlier post.

Strong language is expected (swearing will obviously be edited out) and there is a big difference between derogatory and defamatory. I'm just trying to give a global explanation for everyone, it's very time consuming for us to edit out potentially legally defamatory stuff. You can go ahead and complain all you like in strong terms, but anything considered potentially legally defamatory will be edited.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

I agree with the majority of views on here - a shameful day for Leicester Tigers. ML was never properly supported by those who had only recently appointed him. Shame on them.
Questions now:-
1)After the extremely rapid review of the playing staff, when is the review of the Board taking place?

2)In looking to appoint a successor, in quick time, who on earth does the Board expect will want to be employed by such turncoat, unsupportive, and short-termist bosses - would have to be either a very brave, or very stupid man, and whichever it is, he will demand an absolute fortune - unless of course they give it to Cockerill :smt009 .
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I must say I am a bit suprised at the vitriol and condemnation of the board. Also in the way members are suprised.
1. None of us actually know the whole story behind the scenes. ie How do you know Cockers and Back were at fault? Pure supposition.
2. Clearly all was not right behind the scenes.Diabolical selections etc.
3. The board have acted decisively and timely to arrest the drift.
4. Sorry for Loffreda who kept his dignity.
5. The truth will out eventually and you just might be suprised at what has transpired behind the screnes.
A life long Tiger
adamv6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by adamv6 »

I feel this decision has been made since the EDF final, but the board have deciced to wait till the end of the season.

I hope that they also give Cocker's the Spanish Archer as well. The fowards this season have looked monumentally sedate at times. Wasps won because they used classic rucking and counter rucking. If Cockers was coaching the forwards correctly, this would never had happened. The coachs at South's teach the colts better rucking than we have displayed this season.

I think Backy will stay, whatever anybody says, our defense has been as solid as ever, and we again never gave away a try bonus point all season.

All in all, I am deeply saddened at the pathetic handling of the situation this season by the board and Loffredas co-coaches.

This could have a major impact on our perception in the rugby world and also Peter Wheelers standing within the PRL.

A sad but (as many of you have eluded too) inevitable day.
JGriffin - "The outright winner was the ref who blew himself inside out."
http://incoherenttwaddle.blogspot.com/
maskedsquid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by maskedsquid »

I think I'm with Smudge on this one.
It's only cheating if you get caught.
WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WirralExile »

This is not a good day for the Club and the credibility of the board. ML was and is a World Class coach and was secured after a global search by our Board of Directors. His start date was always going to be dictated by the progress that Argentina made in the World Cup and as such he did not arrive until November last year, already a number of games into our season. Admitiedly, he has had a mixed remainder of the season with some very inconsistent results, but there are other Coaches on our staff - Backy and Cockers - who must take some of the flak for our inconsistency. We cannot forget that, taking everything above into account, we have also reached 2 finals this Season and on both occasions the team did not deliver. Marcelo has not been given enough of a chance to prove himself in the post. The rumours about personality conflicts and training ground bust-ups must be true, but at the end of the day, he was the Head Coach and the other coaches needed to accept this and support him and work with him and not against him.

The question now needs to be - who would take up the post, given the way we have treated this honourable and capable man?

There have been numerous posts on this forum about how there would be much criticism of the Board should Marcelo not continue in post, some even suggesting that they would not renew their Season Tickets if what has just been announced happened. I wonder if the timing of this announcement is tied at all to the renewal deadline?
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
Stuart A
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Stuart A »

Smudge wrote:I must say I am a bit suprised at the vitriol and condemnation of the board. Also in the way members are suprised.
1. None of us actually know the whole story behind the scenes. ie How do you know Cockers and Back were at fault? Pure supposition.
2. Clearly all was not right behind the scenes.Diabolical selections etc.
3. The board have acted decisively and timely to arrest the drift.
4. Sorry for Loffreda who kept his dignity.
5. The truth will out eventually and you just might be suprised at what has transpired behind the screnes.
I have to say I'm with Smudge on this.

Whilst I strongly feel it is a very sad day for the club and oviously for Marcello and his family, I suspect many of us are making comments based on heresay and inference, rather less fact.

We never really got to the bottom of what happened when Deano left, and I suspect we might be in the same position here. What cannot be denied is that when Deano went things weren't right at the club and the same can be said now.

Where we go from here however, is anyone's guess however. We have fast run out of suitable candidates that can be promoted from within, unless anyone wants to take a punt on untried people such as Gibson, Greenwood or even Austin (!)

As sad day though, very sad.
Tigers; Number One Club Side in the World
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

Does anyone think that those responsible for appointing him, and now sacking him, will be putting their hands in their pockets for the compensation payment?