goode - mr tigers, mauger - mr money

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

My thoughts on Aaron Mauger are littered healthily around this forum. No real need to repeat them here. The guy is superb and has been our best back for the last few weeks. Anyone who thinks otherwise isn't watching the game properly.
JTW77

Mauger, Goode and Co

Post by JTW77 »

I agree with Ian. Mauger is class and is the most skill full back we have. He needs time and may be with a dedicated backs coach the 10, 12, 13 partnership can gell and flourish. We were too slow to the break down and this cost us the game loosing too much turn over ball. Defensively we weren't as agressive as Wasps and this showed. Back Lofreda let him bring his staff in and back the players. We have magnificant stadium plans and a good team to build on. Roll on 2008/2009. Lets get behind them!!!
Mat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mat »

Masuger is just too good for Tigers thats the problem!!!!

We cant play the fast open offloading game that he is outstanding at. Most of th emon come form those fans who feel the only way to win games is to have mamouth centres who punch holes. YEs in unfaid contests it looks good but when a defence is strong enough to stop that as the Wasps defence proived again this weekend and last years Euro final you have to have skill!"

Mauger has it in bags not to mention inteligence (sadly not like those who moan about him on here)

Mauger has ahd to deal with a slow static lumbering kicking game that leaves hime rescieving man and ball often yards behind the gain line.

Our forwards dont clear out fast enough and Harry and the rest ( since the demise of Bemand) just cant pass! slow ball made slower by out 9s.

I suspect we wil have to change witht the new rules next year.

It also takes time for a class player to bed in. It time for Howard to setel for us to learn to play off him, it took time for Greenwood etc.

I suspect if mauger was palying for Bath or Gloucs or Wasps we would be all aamazed by his talent.

As ofr comments of no effort justhear for the money did you not watych the number of tiems he took the ball on inthe last 30 minutes he made several half breaks sadly noi support left him havign got go to ground and wasit for slow lumbering Tigers.
brooksey101

Post by brooksey101 »

I thought aaron played one of his best games this season he seemed to put a few players in holes kicked intelligently and made a few half breaks. But defence was abit suspect. I also think that the alochol has clouded your judgement
:D TiGeRs RuLe!!!!:D
weewatto

Post by weewatto »

SabreTooth wrote:Agree Goode could do with some help with the kicking.

His kicking didn't lose us the game. We were slow, and our defence sucked. :smt009
Yes we were slow, yes our defence did suck, royally, and we can begrudgingly admit that Wasps deserved the win, but the fact remains that if Goode had nailed his kicks (as he frequently has before) we would have won the match. Fairly straightforward really.
enthusiastic rather than knowledgeable :)
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Brutally honest post by Mat about the team as a whole. It seems to be so hard for others to see this. You can also say the same about England.

AG should really have had 6 of the 10 points he missed.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Iain wrote:markrobbo: welcome to the forum.

Such a shame your first post is wrong.

Better luck next time.
Iain, sorry mate but that is completely disgusting!

Just because someone doesnt agree with you they are not simply wrong. If thats what they think, fight your arguments not just refer to people as 'wrong'
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Oh lighten up for heaven's sake! The man makes a drunken rambling post that is littered with inaccuracies and I'm supposed to give him War and Peace looking at the finer points of his post?
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Perhaps give him a reason for being wrong?
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

Ok, here's why the initial post was "wrong":

No player is willing to "die" for their club - that's just silly. Yes, players put their bodies on the line and get hurt - including Mauger, as markrobbo states he was bloodbinned.

If Mauger was purely about the money, he would have more likely gone to France where he could have earnt more. His decision probably had more to do with Tigers' prestige and history, as well as advice from Gibson.

All players play for money - to think otherwise is naive.

Goode messed up on Saturday, Mauger didn't.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I'm with Iain and K1 on this one.
Valhalla I am coming!
bulko-tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by bulko-tiger »

I think mauger is class and i think people on this forum are making him a scapegoat for an alround poor season.

People think he is an easy target because not from a tigers background and is on alot of money.

It doesnt matter how commited someone is if they are performing below standard. it can help but i think that goodey has let us down 2 many times this season to people considered a first team regular. it doesnt matter if hes a nice guy or tigers through and through if u dont perform u dont play, a harsh truth of the proffesional era.
super danny hipkiss

LFC CCFC WCCC
boondock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boondock »

rugby times rate mauger as making the least contribution of the big name all blacks who joined the gp. they rate mcallister and jack as top, which i would say is a fair call. when i've seen tigers this season he either wasnt playing or did seem a bit anonymous.

what i will say is that bruce reihana had a pretty indifferent first season at saints, arriving late off the back of a southern hemisphere season and the commonwealth games 7's. after a proper rest and pre-season though he was a very different prospect.

you may well find the same thing with mauger.
"I don't recall Boondock posting inflammatory comments on here. I can see nothing wrong with him, except for him being a Saint..." westy154 18/03/08
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

bulko-tiger wrote:I think mauger is class and i think people on this forum are making him a scapegoat for an alround poor season.

People think he is an easy target because not from a tigers background and is on alot of money.

It doesnt matter how commited someone is if they are performing below standard. it can help but i think that goodey has let us down 2 many times this season to people considered a first team regular. it doesnt matter if hes a nice guy or tigers through and through if u dont perform u dont play, a harsh truth of the proffesional era.
Good post, bulko. This attitude that it's ok to play inconsistently and, at times, awfully, PROVIDED you are a "committed Tiger", is ridiculous.
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

boondock wrote:rugby times rate mauger as making the least contribution of the big name all blacks who joined the gp. they rate mcallister and jack as top, which i would say is a fair call. when i've seen tigers this season he either wasnt playing or did seem a bit anonymous.

what i will say is that bruce reihana had a pretty indifferent first season at saints, arriving late off the back of a southern hemisphere season and the commonwealth games 7's. after a proper rest and pre-season though he was a very different prospect.

you may well find the same thing with mauger.
Fair points, boondock. McAllister has certainly had a better season - but he's also had a more settled coaching setup and a backline that suits his style of play. I also think he's remained injury free and Mauger has been hampered since he arrived.

I think you're spot on about Reihana, and the same could be said of Howard