Conspiracy Theory #1

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rubymint

Conspiracy Theory #1

Post by Rubymint »

I could not believe the decision (made by Cockers in my view) for Goodey to kick for goal rather than for a lineout with about 8 minutes to go.

Both given that we were on an attacking roll and Goodeys boot was mis-firing badly (although his field play was awesome), we were 4 points down and he had even lined up to kick the ball out...

...I may be wrong (and it would not be the 1st time) but it seemed to me that it was Cockers rather than Corry who told him to kick for goal which, true to form today, he missed leaving us still behind at a very crucial time.

Obviously TV's try saved the day (Phew! :smt023 ) but who in all honesty could have expected that given the way the rest of the game had gone?

I'm also confused :smt017 at why there is often defference to the bench for critical decisions such as these rather than the captain taking responsibility (I always thought the point of having a captain was to make this type of decision?)

I (and a number of people I've spoken to) do feel that the coaching team wanted this game to be a losing self-fulfilling prophecy following those unbelievable comments on Sky during the week but thank goodness the players pulled us through.

Discuss!....
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

Don't know about conspiracies, but on a purely empirical basis, the crowd were yelling for Goodey to kick for touch and a five-metre lineout, even Gate Junior with all the wisdom of his 9 years was yelling "kick it over here", Goodey looked like he was was going to do it, there was some discussion and then Cozza went across, had a fair old discussion with Cockers, then Cozza came back and instructed Goodey to go for goal.

Looks like Cockers' call, but why? Indeed, "WHY?" was what most people were shouting where I was.
georgierockssocks
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by georgierockssocks »

I did seem rather an odd decision to go for goal :smt012 , (i think at that point i said same rather naughty words my mum didnt appreciate :smt016 )

But why would they want us to loose? Surely it would have been better to prove the critics wrong (which we did) and get rid of all the speculation :smt017 rather than go through all the embarassment etc.

Hummmmmm.... its a tough call
Tigris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tigris »

Rubymint - he may have displayed a lack of judgement unusual even for a former hooker when talking on the Rugby Club, but trying to loose us the game?

You are joking right?

There have been some odd/questionable decisions, but I suspect that's all they are.

Regardless, as you say, the players got us out of it - has to be one of the most exciting finishes to a game I've heard for a good while :smt023
Mr_Ben
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr_Ben »

As I commented about the penalty decision during the live match discussion...

Go back a few seasons to when Johnno was captain. With 8 mins to go and facing a 4 pt deficit, I'd have bet plenty on Johnno taking the chance for the 3pts over the kick for the corner.
Crivvens
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crivvens »

So you'd rather us have lost today then? :smt011

Lets have a bit of perspective - no team has ran away with the league this year. Its the most competitive league possibly ever. Don't you think Corry may have been getting the scores from the other games so he could judge what we needed to do with that kick?
Blimey...
GeddingtonTiger

Post by GeddingtonTiger »

In a strange way, I wish that we had lost today. It has to some extent painted over the cracks that have formed in our performance over the current season. Maybe that is what Cockers is trying to point out but is going the wrong way about it.

My view is that he should be released, he has been great for the club but it is time to move on and let ML bring in his own people, so that ML can have a fair go at carrying the great traditions of this club on into the next decade.
Is offended that he is a senior member.
uzapucas

Post by uzapucas »

Hi guys, this is my very first post here.

I have to say that i am just a one year old Leicester fan. I always followed International Rugby but did not know very much about English and French rugby unions clubs.

I became fan of Leicester Tigers when I came to live to Spain (where is kind of hard to follow the tigers) and also when Loffreda became the main coach. As you can tell i am a Pumas fan. At the beginning i just watched the games and did not care very much about the results, but those Tigers are like a drug and a couple of months later i started to suffer the games as is as was born right by Welford Road. Is funny but i live the Tigers in one year with the same passion as my whole life football team.

Anyhow, i am a bit confused, i read that there seems to be a real turmoil within the coaching team or is with the players. Could somebody let me know what is really going on??? Why a part of the coachd are so reluctant to accept Loffreda? or are the players?

I guess in all big clubs there always seems to be this fight for power. Anyhow, if you see Wasp, for example, which is also an important club, there seems to be more harmony within the coaches and players. And with Wasp there are also some very hard core guys like Dallaglio.

Please send some info on that.

I hope this great victory will gives us the confidence we need to face Glouscester!

Cheers, :smt003
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

uzapucas wrote:Hi guys, this is my very first post here.................

Anyhow, i am a bit confused, i read that there seems to be a real turmoil within the coaching team or is with the players. Could somebody let me know what is really going on??? Why a part of the coachd are so reluctant to accept Loffreda? or are the players?..........

:smt024

Welcome. Hope you post often from Madrid.

Maybe someone could let you know what is going on, but I fear only those who are closest know the real truth. I think Neil Back is a follower, not a thinker and a leader. Cockerill I rated highly when I heard him speak at a player's evening, and stupid he is not. However he may think he is clever enough to play political games, who knows? Marcelo seems such a nice guy - maybe a sheep penned in with Wolves at the moment, and his lack of English would seem to be a problem to him, as he can't get his thoughts across without maybe appearing foolish?. But, as to what really is going on, I wish I knew the truth as well, and if there are factions in the club working against Marcelo, then I hope they are dealt with appropriately. :smt067
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Loffredas English is quite good, listening to him on radio leicester that is.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Johnno would have made the exact same decision. I agreed with the decision then and I agree with it now. That Goodey missed is immaterial to the decision.

Seriously.... do you believe that or are you just trying to be controversial for the hell of it?
uzapucas

Post by uzapucas »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info on the current events.

I thought that Cockers was a nice guy. Well actually i saw an interview long ago the "Rugby Club" on sky sports when Marcelo arrived to the Tigers. He was happy and enthusiastic to work with him. Well, i guess since his arrival many things might have happened between both of them.

I hope people within the club will work out their different point of views and only focus on the games ahead. In sports good projects need time to develop. It always interesting to see some of the Football Premiership coaches like in Manchester or Liverpool with some years on the team.

By the way, is there any website within the club website or outside where i could see more images from yesterday´s game? It kind of sad that the official website just put only one image.

I guess to be at the stadium yesterday had to be Fantastic! and nerve wrecking as well....

Cheers
from Spain
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

Iain wrote:Johnno would have made the exact same decision. I agreed with the decision then and I agree with it now. That Goodey missed is immaterial to the decision.

Seriously.... do you believe that or are you just trying to be controversial for the hell of it?
So you know Johnno that well you know for a fact that he would have made the exact same decision!!!! :smt015
Life was like a box of chocolates - until I ate them! :smt061
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

No Nik, I remember from coming to see Tigers from a young age that in countless similar situations Johnno would take the three and then leave us in a good situation to take the win with a drop goal / penalty / try / anything we can get. I'd have liked us to have gone to the corner but when the posts were pointed at I just went "okay, thats sensible".

That Goodey missed was neither here nor there when it came to the decision making.
Capricorn
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Capricorn »

The whole point is, that it's the captain's decision.
Corry is a weak captain, and makes bad decisions.
He should not need to consult anyone else, just go for it.
I hope he isn't the captain next season.He should bow out gracefully.