In defence of Loffreda !

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

In defence of Loffreda !

Post by mike »

He has only had 6 months in charge and has not been able to choose his own support staff . The main areas of decline this season have been tackling ( Back is defence coach)and slow ,predictable forward play (Cockerill is forwards coach).Our back play is non existent but given the long absence of Ellis and the presence of Goode this is not surprising - however Loffreda could have improved this area by picking Humphreys at 10 - at least we would have seen some attacking back play .
The 1st half was dreadful yesterday but in the 2nd half we did show spirit and fight. We need to attack matches from the beginning of the game and play with momentum - the slow old Leicester way is dead but nobody seems to have told Cockerill and Co .
Give Loffreda time , his own coaching staff around him ,and a few new players he will be o.k .Given the 2nd half showing last night I think this is the best team for saturday - a real 5 pointer.
Ayerza,Kayser,Castro
Corry,Kay
Croft,Crane,Herring
ellis,Humphreys
Mauger,Smith
Varndell,Tuilagi
Murphy
No point playing Goode - we need tries .
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Good post..........here.......here

:smt023
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Dave W
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave W »

I hear you Mike but whilst we dominated possession in the 2nd half, we rarely crossed the gain line and when we did, we made too many handling errors and poor decision making (maybe a confidence thing). I guess you cannot direct these issues at Marcello as its the players who make the call on the pitch but for me the last few games have lacked passion and fight and i do believe it his ML and RC who are responsible for injecting this in to the team.. Fingers crossed for the rest of the season :smt002

Earlier in the season I was very much of the opinion that it doesn't matter if we don't win anything this year or qualify for Europe next season as we have a new coach who needs to settle in, new players doing the same with a number of stars said to be joining us but the performances over the last few games have caused me concern and again, I think it comes back to passion!

I think before, teams feared tigers but after the last few showings I bet they can't wait to play us which, imo, puts us on the back foot straightaway...
Last edited by Dave W on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never move faster than your guardian angel can fly...
jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rest of season

Post by jack »

Some sense here, but I think Goode must play. Humph made too many fwd passes and weak tackles (not the only one!) what a pity AG is so lacking in consistency!
Tigers - true Champions!
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

TEAM

Post by smalldell »

I think Smith and Mauger in the centres would work well. Have to say I think Erinle looked good last night and I would play him on the wing in pace of Tualigi and let Smith ad him interchange throughout the match.

My team for Saturday would be:-
15. Vesty (J. Murphy probably injured)
14. Erinle
13. Smith
12. Mauger
11. Varndell
10. Goode.
9. Ellis
8. Corry
7. Herring
6. Croft (Thought he was really god against Bath)
5. L. Deacon
4. Kay
3. Castro
2. Kayser
1. Ayerza

Replacements

Hipkiss, Chuter, Blaze, White, Crane, Tuilagi, Cornwall (played well against Bath)
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

You can't have Mauger and Ayerza in the same team Smalldell. Foreigners and all that.
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
chevs4992

Post by chevs4992 »

Unfortunatelt Ayerza and Herring cant play in the same side due to the foreigners ruling - maybe put Boris in there (can't spell his surname!) as i think he looks good
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

Mauger isn't a "foreigner" as he has a French passport.

It's Herring & Ayerza that you can't have in the same team.
cooke-1
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by cooke-1 »

All good points but hasn't aaron m been a massive dissapointment to anyone so far.
After having a shocker on saturday, he should be dropped to the bench for at least on game.
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Yes sorry Dave, that's what I meant. It's (relatively) early morning and I haven't had a bucket full of caffeine yet...
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

cooke-1 wrote:All good points but hasn't aaron m been a massive dissapointment to anyone so far.
After having a shocker on saturday, he should be dropped to the bench for at least on game.

Wasn't he dropped to the bench last night? :smt017
Snowdrop

Post by Snowdrop »

Could someone explain the foreigner rule to me please. We have Herring(NZ), Ayerza(ARG), Mauger(NZ), Kayzer(French) and others. How do some qualify to play and others don't. How do they conflict with each other?
sjwoodman

Post by sjwoodman »

Snowdrop wrote:Could someone explain the foreigner rule to me please. We have Herring(NZ), Ayerza(ARG), Mauger(NZ), Kayzer(French) and others. How do some qualify to play and others don't. How do they conflict with each other?
Adamv6 gives an explanation on this thread:

http://www.tigers.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... ght=kolpac

(Ignore the fact that it's covering different players). In essence, you can only have one player per game from outside these countries:

1. EU
2. South Africa
3. South Sea Islands (Fiji, Samoa, Tonga)

The only exception is during international periods when you're allowed three players from outside the list above.
Snowdrop

Post by Snowdrop »

Thanks for that. The mud is clearing.