Ignacio Mieres makes Tigers Debut

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Ignacio Mieres makes Tigers Debut

Post by kornboy130 »

Young Argentine Fly-Half Ignacio Mieres is set to make his Tigers debut since joining us last week for a trial period with the academy.

http://www.tigers.co.uk/29_11092.php
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Good luck to the young man! Who needs JMH when we've got Iggy M?!
hughes

Post by hughes »

:smt006 Keep the good news rolling in,other good young prospect in the making. :smt023
Do not go where the path may lead,go instead where there is no path and leave a trail for others to follow!
bwightman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by bwightman »

Hate to sound ignorant of the facts but who is this guy? I've gathered he's an Argentinian flyhalf, but aside from that I know nothing of him! Has he been playing his rugby in Arg?
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

bwightman wrote:Hate to sound ignorant of the facts but who is this guy? I've gathered he's an Argentinian flyhalf, but aside from that I know nothing of him! Has he been playing his rugby in Arg?
ideed, at the same club Hernandez used to play for. They recently won the Buenos aires cup and from what i can gather from Argentine posters on other boards - he was instrumental in that. Though none of them rate him as the best prospect at 10 in Argentina - that belongs to a lad named "Fernandez" at Hindu club. However, none had a bad way to say on Mieres - hopefully he will develop nicely here!
Hoorah_Henry
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Hoorah_Henry »

Where are Tigers young English Fly Halves? We dont want to become the Arsenal of Rugby poaching everyones young potential!
Face Your Fears, Live your Dreams!
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

Fear not! Ricky Aley is developing nicely as a FH (though this website still lists him as FB) and is also honing his kicking skills as well!

Ricky is Tigers, young, English & a fly half so don't wiorry, we are still developing our own players in-house.
Cliffeclimber
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cliffeclimber »

Mieres has played well for the Pumas, where he was coached by Lofreda, who you will recall was replaced by Les Cusworth. If they both think he's good enough for Tigers, then who am I to argue.
maskedsquid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by maskedsquid »

Hoorah_Henry wrote:Where are Tigers young English Fly Halves? We dont want to become the Arsenal of Rugby poaching everyones young potential!
I'd rather bring in a good-quality foreigner than an average guy just because he's English.

Plus, if he's good and English, we won't see him for half the season anyway!
It's only cheating if you get caught.
Hoorah_Henry
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Hoorah_Henry »

Cheers Dave Angel you have eased my worries! Because if we dont develop the talent here and bring in swaithes of overseas players our international team will suffer like the football team does where as at present in Rugby our academys are producing such raw talent thus aiding our poorly coached england side! It just depends whether your club like you obvioulsy are or country! Personally im for the benifit of both and feel if we nuture excessive amounts of foreign players we will only be biting the hand that feeds so to speak
Face Your Fears, Live your Dreams!
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Hoorah_Henry wrote:Personally im for the benifit of both and feel if we nuture excessive amounts of foreign players we will only be biting the hand that feeds so to speak
They don't feed though! The RFU gives clubs money proportional to how many England internationals they provide, but now the PRL have stung the clubs who provide most players by adjusting the TV and competition money so that all receive almost equal funding after accounting for RFU payments (it used to be split equally 12 ways after deducting running costs)
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

Cliffeclimber wrote:Mieres has played well for the Pumas, where he was coached by Lofreda, who you will recall was replaced by Les Cusworth. If they both think he's good enough for Tigers, then who am I to argue.

I don't recall Loffreda being replaced by Les Cusworth!
Loffreda was actually replaced by Santiago Phelan as I understand.

Les Cusworth is Argentina's Director of Rugby and was in that position during the Loffreda coaching period as well.

Also, I don't think that Mieres won any caps under Loffreda as he made his one appearance to date for Argentina in December, by which time Loffreda was already at Leicester.

The closest comparison in Engand rugby to Les' position is the role that Rob Andrew is supposed to be doing, not the one that Ashton has (wich was Loffreda's old post).
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

I have seen Ricky Aley play a few times. He definitely has potential as 10 but needs game time. Does anybody know if he has been out on loan to Div 1 or not?
Jez

Only Winners Win!
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

I don't think Ricky hs been on loan anywhere this season as he's still quite young & has been getting regular game time with the Academy.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him loaned out to Cambridge in ND2 next season though.
sammy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sammy »

He has been out at Nuneaton. Doing well by all accounts.