Opinions on Sports

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

darksky

Opinions on Sports

Post by darksky »

Thank you for allowing me to post this.

Hi I am a uni student who is currently undertaking a project based upon sport as a religion and am looking for research into peoples (sports fans, people who do no follow as sport etc) opinions on certain sports.

Please write your opinions on the following sports, be honest, if there are reasons for a certain opinion what are they? (you can pick and choose which ones to comment on )

Football

Rugby Union

Rugby League

Tennis

Cricket

Golf

Hockey

Horse Racing

Eventing

Formula1

Boxing

Ice Hockey

Wrestling

Any other sports you have opinions on? The stanger the sport the better

If you are really opinionated on a certain sport (good or bad!) thats brilliant but if you think you could offend anyone email or PM your responses instead please [email protected]

Thanks
Grace
dinx

Post by dinx »

Sorry if anyone disagees...

Football - One dimensional boring game played by men not hard enough to play rugby!
Rugby Union - the best game there is, exciting, unpredictable and entertaining
Cricket - A bit boring, good at the end if the score is close
Golf - great to play, but not the best spectators sport
Horse Racing - exciting to watch, particularly jumps such as the National
Formula 1 - only ever watch the start, the most exciting bit, best if its raining and theres a few crashes
darksky

Post by darksky »

Thank you :smt006
Milo
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Milo »

Football - used to love it. Jumpers for goalposts, FA Cup final day etc. Now can't be bothered with it. Too many overpaid and overhyped chavs who love themselves too much.

Rugby Union - greatest game. Took me a while coming from a Rugby League area but love it now.

Rugby League - still enjoy but not as much as when I was growing up. Too one dimensional but still can be exciting to watch.

Tennis - ok, but don't go out of my way to watch it.

Cricket - ok, but better to play than watch. Close finishes are exciting though.

Golf - never played but don't mind watching.

Hockey - used to play in the Army, too :censored: dangerous. Never watch it.

Horse Racing - boring.

Eventing - boring.

Formula1 - enjoy it but start and finish are best bits.

Boxing - used to enjoy it in the 80s/early 90s but not now. Too many belts at all the weights - whose the best in the world?

Ice Hockey - don't watch it. Can never see where the puck is!

Wrestling - rubbish.

American Football - have to admit I'm a fan. From the early days of Channel 4 in the 80s (Joe Montana and all that) to the day I went to Washington DC to see the Redskins. Used to follow the Leicester Panthers as well, best supported team in the UK at the time.

Hope this helps.
01crusea

Post by 01crusea »

Football - the skill levels can be impressive but there is far too much! It becomes stale and repetitive. Oh, and why are they paid so much?

R. Union - my favourite by a long way: the best on every level I can think of

R. League - enjoyable but a bit frustrating (being a union fan)

Tennis - only the biggest matches are worth watching and even then the winner is usually predictable

Cricket - a good game but I don't have the patience to really "like" it

Golf - no. Just no. I appreciate it as a hobby but I hate it as a sport

Hockey - neither here nor there, to be honest

Formula 1 - I only follow it because my family do; why is there such pathetic concerns over money is such a rich sport?

Boxing - like tennis, only for the big occasions

Ice hockey - fun to see people get smashed but nothing particularly rivetting

Wrestling - i've liked it since I was young but now only follow it occasionally. Wrestlemania grabs my attention every year, though
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Rugby Union - simply the best
Rugby League - not as good, but still enjoyable
Cricket - brilliant, especially Test Matches
Baseball - Fantastic, very underrated
Basketball - yawn !
Golf - like the majors
Tennis - ditto above, ATP tour is boring
Boxing - Eubank, Benn, Hagler, Leonard, Duran ...those were the days...
Rowing - Gripping...really enjoy it
Athletics - Are the winners on drugs ?
F1 - can take it or leave it
Football - increasingly annoying, played by overpaid children
Darts - Bristow, George great...not so good now
Horse Racing - love Grand National and Cheltenham, otherwise not that interested
Show Jumping - hmmmm !
Swimming - like the Olympics
Triathlon - love it
darksky

Post by darksky »

Thanks everyone :smt006 :smt003
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Mine's on its way; I'm writing an essay...
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
adamv6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by adamv6 »

Football
Ruined by is becoming more business than a sport. Possibly the simplest game in the world to play, it breaks down the boundaries of language and culture.

Rugby Union
The only sport (IMHO) that can be called a true team game. One man may be the stand out player on a pitch, but without the co-operation and work of his fellow team mates he is useless. Playing it builds a true sense of "esprit de corps", which I believe never leaves you afterwards, making you a stronger person through life. Watching it can unlock every emotion known in a 5 minute period. Should be the English national sport.

Rugby League
An excellent training routine for Rugby Union.

Tennis
Overpaid, over hyped, creates a class divide.

Cricket
20-20 has gone a long way to improve the watch-ability of this sport. Test matches are an excellent excuse for 4 or 5 days of all day drinking!

Golf
Is this a sport or a pastime?

Hockey
School game that has very little appeal and even more limited commercial application, so will never become what is deserves to be.

Horse Racing
Cruel, business and money driven.

Eventing
Sport for the rich and the want-to-be rich.

Formula1
Ruined by rules designed to make the sport 'fairer' for all. Still the richest teams create the fastest best cars, so how is it any fairer?

Boxing
Misunderstood gladiatorial sport ruined by sluggers and ponces alike. A world class fight between 2 'true' boxers is one of the most enthralling events you can witness.

Ice Hockey
Fast and Violent sport for rednecks.

Wrestling
Isn't this "light entertainment" and not sport?
JGriffin - "The outright winner was the ref who blew himself inside out."
http://incoherenttwaddle.blogspot.com/
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Darksky, I have emailed you the full list of what I wrote, this is the abridged version for the froum.

Football – Too much Indiscipline in the game to really enjoy it. I don’t agree with those who say it is a rubbish sport; but it does need a major attitude adjustment at all levels.

Rugby Union – King of Sports. Will watch it as much as possible, as often as possible and will read rugby message boards in between times! It is played in a spirit that all sports should try to play in, hard but fair and at the end of the day all the fans and players realise that it is just a game. Simply put, it has everything in a sport that I want.

Rugby League – If you accept that it is a completely separate sport to Union (with some underlying similarities) then it can be a really good sport to watch. It is fast paced, tough and good honest entertainment.

American Football – My second favourite sport to watch, after Rugby Union, I absolutely love this sport. To the uneducated it just looks like a bunch of props in body armour running into a pile of even bigger propos in body armour, but it is a highly skilful and technical game that is really rewarding to understand.

Ice Hockey – Love it and go to see Nottingham Panthers numerous times in a season, but it suffers from one problem – it isn’t a great sport to watch on TV. If everyone went to see it in the flesh though they would realise that you have as much trouble following the puck as you do a football.

Field Hockey – I’ll watch it during the Olympics, but then again I’ll watch anything during the Olympics.

Tennis – I accept it’s a skilful sport, but it isn’t the liveliest spectator sport in the world. Not my cup of tea anyway. I keep my eye out for results, and I’ll watch bits of Wimbledon, even though the British fans irritate the life out of me.

Cricket – Wonderful and peculiarly English sport. There is nothing like a full day at the cricket to relax you. I can find enjoyment in all levels of cricket too; limited overs, Twenty20, full test length. It’s an acquired taste, and a little complicated to grasp, but well worth it.

Golf – A good walk spoiled by occasionally hitting a tiny ball.

Horse Racing – Don’t like it. Nothing against it just not my cup of tea.

Eventing – As in Horses? See above.

Formula 1 – I’m not a petrol head, so there is a limited appeal here for me.

Boxing – Without the likes of a Tyson or Ali, it is just a bunch of fat blokes hitting each other in the head, and you can see that in Newcastle City Centre for free on a Friday night.

Aussie Rules – Enjoy watching Aussie rules when I find it on one of the more obscure channels.

Basketball – Hate it. I find it dull and repetitive.

Baseball – I don’t mind it, but I find it a bit dull.

Ten Pin Bowling – I bowl in a league myself, so if I ever see any on TV I will always stop and watch. I’m sure my interest comes because I can see the subtlety in their actions, I can see how they are trying to hit the pins rather than just the fact that they are trying to hit the pins.

Wrestling – The book ‘Tilting at Windmills’ once described it along the lines of, “sport, for someone who doesn’t really like sport”. The results may be known beforehand, but it still takes skill and power to do it well. And it still hurts when you get hit in the head with a chair; you just have to know how to roll with the hit.

Kabadi – Kabadi Kabadi Kabadi Kabadi Kabadi Kabadi Kabadi Kabadi Kabadi Kabadi Kabadi Kabadi Kabadi Kabadi Kabadi Kabadi Kabadi Kabadi Kabadi.
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
BrumJim2

Post by BrumJim2 »

Football
An outstanding support that crosses cultural and social barriers - a true world sport. USA isolationism is shown up by their inability to produce a decent football team, and their cultural imperialism will fail to be all-encompasing as they don't have a national sport to compete.

Rugby Union
A sport designed so that men can hug each other without impropper suggestions. A sport where men can knock ten bells out of each other for 80 minutes, and then have a drink together afterwards. The failure to achieve world peace is linked to the failure for rugby union to become a world sport. A sport for fat men, skinny men and small men.
And it can be played by women too....

Rugby League
If only they could modify the game so that guile was as important as brute strength, and the game could flow a bit more between moves. Maybe add two extra men to the field?

Tennis
The only sport where application seems more important than natural talent (ref Williams sisters, Ivan Lendal). Takes too long, and too much stop-start. A very frustating game to watch.

Cricket
5 days and still no result? Who thought of this one? Were they sectioned? Only exists as an all-day drinking excuse, or a statisticians *** dream.

Golf
Less a sport, more of a career move.

Hockey
Ruined by the foot rule. Just get into the D, whack the ball at the nearest ankle, and hope for the best on the short corners.

Horse Racing
Pointless as a spectator sport without betting.

Eventing
More fun to be there than to watch on television.

Formula1
Oh, dull, dull, dull, dull. But where do you find me on Sunday afternoons? Glued to every lap!! Dominated by three countries - Britain, Brazil and Finland. Strange mix that one!!

Boxing
A brutal, violent sport. However good for letting off more of the testostorone excess. Ruined by having a whole multitude of world champions at each of the weights. And getting worse.

Ice Hockey
Used to enjoy watching this - incredibly fast. But then I grew up.

Wrestling
Having failed to determine the differences between Greco-Roman and Freestyle threads, it just looks like men hugging without the ball.
"And I've been supporting them every year since 1978."
"So you are a fair weather fan, then."
"Yes, I suppose!"
maskedsquid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by maskedsquid »

Pardon my nosiness Grace, but how are you going to turn our opinions into evidence for your research into sport as a religion?

I am rather intrigued and will fill in my answers when I have more than 5 minutes to spare later on!
It's only cheating if you get caught.
Big_Johnno
Super User
Super User

Post by Big_Johnno »

Football
Probably the best sport in the world, there is something strangely addictive about going to watch your club, I support Leicester City and even when we lose (which is fairly regularly) after the game walking home in a mood I still can't wait for the next game.

Rugby Union
Pretty much the same as football, the top men of the sport make it a bit of a laughing stock at times though (play-offs to win a league?!?!)

Rugby League
A dumbed down version of union.

Tennis
A very very boring, extremely repetitive sport!!

Cricket
Depends on the type of cricket being played, 20-20 cricket has re-ignited my enthusiasm for the sport, a nice relaxed sport to watch, definately should be restricted to the summer!

Golf
The same goes for tennis, too long!

Hockey
obviously you have to be incredibly fit to play hockey at a professional level but I can't see the excitement in it, much rather watch football!

Horse Racing
If it wasn't for betting, the sport wouldn't exist, nuff said.

Eventing
Same as said for horse racing

Formula1
One of them sports that is hit or miss, some races it is hard to not watch but sometimes it's impossible to sit through it!

Boxing
Brilliant sport, it is a 'bloodsport' but nobody makes them fight! I love it, it's amazing watching how calm the fighters can be, if you were to put an untrained fighter into the ring they'd tire themself out throwing punches and then be easily beaten, massive discipline!

Ice Hockey
Good for watching the odd fight, boring if you take that element out of it.

Wrestling
Depends which kind, if you're talking about the tacky WWE type of wrestling, it can't even be spoke about like it's a sport, watching 'roided up sweaty men dropping each other on their heads, punch each other in the face for 20 minutes without so much as a bruise showing up, nah.
E I
E I
E I
Oh! Up the rugby here we go!
When we win in europe, this is what we'll sing:
We are champions, We are champions Paddy Howard's King!
darksky

Post by darksky »

Thank you everyone. Really helpful :smt006 :smt003

Hi, I am a design student so it will be a design piece of some form, sorry should have said. But at the moment I am hoping to develop the research into either a "limited edition publication" which will obviously never get published or possibly a piece of moving image work :smt001 I am hoping to do something quite typographical (mostly type rather than image) but it is still in the research and development stage at the moment :smt009 so basically they will be transfered straight onto the piece rather than used as evidence of anyform if I go along with that idea. Might not yet though but need to research it before deciding.

:smt001

Hope that makes some sense anyway :smt003

Thanks again everyone who has taken time or will take time t help me out on this :smt006
ginge

Post by ginge »

Football: Premiership is overexposed on TV, with many players that have little or no pride/passion

Rugby Union: Still a great physical sport with an ethos that can be admired by all. I can see the professional game getting into difficulties financially if clubs over stretch themselves.

Rugby League: You cant play Rugby in the summer, its not right. Wish they could learn to scrumage.!

Tennis:Mens tennis is boring ,Ladies is too noisy

Cricket: 20:20 and one day games are ruining Cricket but are necessary to keep the game alive.

Golf : Sky watching on TV, fun but frustrating to play

Hockey: I only watch it during the Olympics.

Horse Racing: Waste of time and cruel

Eventing: Yawn!!

Formula1: Its more fun now we have Mr Hamilton but what about Global warming.

Boxing : The ultimate contest man to man in a ring slugging it out. Too many belts and dodgy bout matching.

Ice Hockey: ????

Wrestling Ths is not a sport.
Squash: The IOC have decided not to include it in the Olympis for 2012 but its a great game and one that GB excel at.