Attitude of fans?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

pebble
Top Cat
Top Cat

As Post

Post by pebble »

I stand by my original post, and totally agree with the thread created bt Oxford Tiger.
This thread proves the point. Fans ???. Having a go at one another, attacking grammar, writing in capitals and red in order to attempt to win.
Shame on you. Goodbye.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I believe DEEPLY, that every human being is entitled to civility from every other human being.

This strange mentality that we can collectively yell obscenities at opposition players, our players, refs etc because "they're high profile people and should expect it", just makes us cowardly scum.

I wouldn't walk up to Beckham, Dallaglio, or Spreadberry in the street and start hurling foul language at them and within the vicinity of children.

Being part of 17,000 people at WR doesn't suddenly give me the right to do so.

But that's my personal code of conduct, I guess.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
BenWL
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: As Post

Post by BenWL »

pebble wrote:I stand by my original post, and totally agree with the thread created bt Oxford Tiger.
This thread proves the point. Fans ???. Having a go at one another, attacking grammar, writing in capitals and red in order to attempt to win.
Shame on you. Goodbye.
Writing in red to differentiate from the quoted text in white. That's All. :smt001
I'm the one in the Tigers shirt on the 22. You can't miss me...!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I agree with the Kinoulton "Code of Conduct" !

However, when Haskell took Crane's head off, I was so enraged that I shouted at the top of my voice "OI REFEREE !"....apologies to all in Block K of the Crumbie Seats !
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

I love to swear. It's big and clever and makes me feel like a big man.

However I accept that not everyone feels that way, and certainly in a crowd where there are children present, I wouldn't dream of swearing or indeed shouting anyhting offensive.

People on occasion shouting that the ref needs glasses or shouting at The Lol to shut his trap is fine and part of a good atmosphere, but there is a fine line to walk between that and abuse..

That is my personal code of conduct.
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

You're right Westy, it's all about being sensible...in this modern world where you can't say anything to people for fear of offending them (eg: I heard something on the news yesterday about builders being banned from wolf-whistling at girls as they walk by a building site), it's good to let off steam with a few choice words at a rugby game, but using sensible language and not unduly upsetting anyone in your vicinity ! Luckily, where I sit we are all in a great place to see all of the forward passes, the holding ons and the offsides...much better than the referee it would appear...for every game !!!!! :smt003
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

3,000 posts....GET IN THERE !!! :smt023

...every one a gem !
BenWL
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by BenWL »

westwinds31 wrote:3,000 posts....GET IN THERE !!! :smt023

...every one a gem !
Well done, only about 9,000 behind Bill W...!

Bet you can't remember what your first post was...?
chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chappie »

I would just like to make a point that if some of our supporters could drink less and watch the game for which they have paid for then there might be a little less agro. Why do people feel the need to get bladered and spend most of the game going backwards and forwards to the bar and toilets.
Would it not be a good idea to shut all the bars 10mins before kick off making sure that all supporters were in there places before the start of the game? Then re-open at half time only and again at the final whistle.
I think if I tell you right thats what they do at the Walkers, please correct me if i'm wrong?
I just get fed up having to move to let people past going to the toilet or bar.
I to have paid for my season ticket and dont want to miss the game for the sake of peoples drinking habits!
I also think the club have a responsiblity in that the bar staff should not dish out drinks to people who have had to much and also the stewards should be more active in the way they control the behavior of people that have drunk to much, some tend to turn a blind eye sometimes.
At the end of the day we do not want to go down the route of the football clubs now do we?
Franck Tournaire Number 1 fan.
Budster
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Budster »

Watching us this season I need beer.
BenWL
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by BenWL »

[quote="chappie"]Would it not be a good idea to shut all the bars 10mins before kick off making sure that all supporters were in there places before the start of the game? Then re-open at half time only and again at the final whistle.
I think if I tell you right thats what they do at the Walkers, please correct me if i'm wrong?
I just get fed up having to move to let people past going to the toilet or bar.
I to have paid for my season ticket and dont want to miss the game for the sake of peoples drinking habits!
I also think the club have a responsiblity in that the bar staff should not dish out drinks to people who have had to much and also the stewards should be more active in the way they control the behavior of people that have drunk to much, some tend to turn a blind eye sometimes.
quote]

I don't think restricting the sale of alcohol will make any difference as those who want to drink will always find a way.
They won't close the bars as it is an income stream and I imagine the Walkers close 10 mins before because of the more stringent rules with regard to football. It was the football fans who used to fight and in all my years I have never seen a fight at a top flight rugby game so no real reason to follow the same rules. Also the bar staff cannot regulate when 1 sober person can buy 3 other beers for his drunk mates.

I assume that you must be in a seat and have to stand up all the time which is something that we don't get on the Crumbie but I'll still say that we all have a mutual responsibility for self regulation. If it is really starting to annoy you why don't you mention to the people that are doing it, it's not going to do any harm.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Taking the rip out of the opposition coaches and players , "correcting" the referees and assistant referees and reminding them of the laws is all great fun and an absolute requirement from the home crowd.

Witty clever banter with the above can be very funny but unfortuneatly sometimes it does not quite come off and you sound a bit of a to..er. I try very hard to be in good humour at a match and also try to steer away from bad language - I have to admit that occasionally the odd explitive slips out in error but that is usually out of frustration rather than anger.

I do find what most of the people near me (behind the opposition dugout also) come out with are some very funny gags but sometimes it backfires and sounds a bit embarassing especially if it includes foul language. and I would not want to encourage abuse in any way using bad language. There are some , especially a little way up the terrace who just shout nonsense and become irratating.

However the thing that annoys me most when we are losing is the silence that falls over the crowd - this is nothing new - Welford Road has always been the same - Several times I will start a chant and get about 6 join in when we are losing - it takes several attempts to get it going and ripple out. The time we most need support is when we are losing - I cannot understand a mentality that stops shouting when we are in most need.In football parlance "we only sing when we're winning" could be an accusation thrown at us.

With regards to racism directed at a player or anyone else for that matter - I have not heard it - BUT I can tell you what I would do if I did - I would point out the person in a very public manner and castigate them for their vile diatribe - I would then seek out a steward, point out the culprit and demand that they was removed immediately and banned and If the stewards did not take immediate action I would take out my phone and inform them that I was ringing the police.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I agree with you to a certain extent that the crowd does sometimes go quiet at Welford Road, but I can think of several times over the past few seasons where the crowd have literally carried the team through to a win in difficult circumstances - when they were losing. A perfect example of this was the Stade Francais HC game a couple of season ago, when we were down and out and then Louis Deacon and Danny Hipkiss (I think) scored tries to win it for us. The players afterwards to a man, all commented on the amazing wall of noise that was generated by the fans which drove the players on to a win.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I agree there are days when we are like that and it is tremendous but other times it all goes flat and lifeless.

We have off days just like the team and I cannot identify why?

I tend to think we are better when we think we are underdog in some way maybe due to lack of players or a very big opposition in a big match

But then again no opposition comes bigger than Wasps and we really needed that win so were where we? Maybe we felt that the players were mainly back and we expected big things from them and did not quite get what we expected - it is all very frustrating ...damn blast and bother it ... ooops sorry!
champanzie
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by champanzie »

all i can say is that the game has progressed and it is nothing like football fans are just becoming more pasionate about the team. i jumped up when alex tuilagi scored the second try in the g.p Final last year and i got my hair pulled by an old women saying she could not see and i was in the way. through the whole match she made no noice for tigers but she managed to make noice at me for supporting my team. these are the only people that both me at the game. there is no harm in good banter either.
Come on you tigers!