Todays commentary on EDF Semi Final

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hairy Egg
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Hairy Egg »

I thought the commentry was quite amusing really - I have low expectations so I'm not easily disappointed!

The whole 'show' though was horribly one sided and the BBC must have been gutted when Tigers won and they couldn't devote all the highlights to DC (although they did try).

I've got used to the commentators mis-pronouncing players names after having years of that one eyed idiot McLaren calling Johnno Martin Johnston. :smt013
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Every time Brian Moore referred to Cipriani as "the Messiah" our household responded with "He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" :smt003
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
toriya

Post by toriya »

That's brilliant Rizzo, made me laugh!
Think I'm pleased I didn't hear the commentary!
Mrmatt1

Post by Mrmatt1 »

The commentary was extremely poor, evidently I tuned into BBC Wasps rather than BBC One!

The worst part was when Eddie Butler referred to Wasps as 'We' rather than Wasps.

The BBC were about as subtle as a brick in showing their biased against us, but then it's nothing more that I've come to expect from them.

I'll definitely be going to Twickenham for the final again this year so as not to have to listen to that lot again, because we all know full well it will turn into BBC Ospreys for the final!
Leicester Tigers rule. FACT.
Budster
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Budster »

Kinoulton Posted
We also had an outbreak of footie style coverage with the camera needlessly dwelling on a close-up of Cipriani's mug, whilst across the field and out of shot, something exciting was developing.

Agreed, also players women like Henson's every 5 Mins.

Eddie 'quality doesn't matter in the 6N' Butler, has got to be the worst ever. With comments like 'you've only seen 2 Welsh games Brian'
Lets see if he's still crowing after the SH tour.
seaweed
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by seaweed »

Busdster.

Seriously. What have the Welsh done to upset you so much ?
To quote Ray Gravell - You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.

Owain Glyndŵr now he was a man of vision.
Easty

Post by Easty »

Thanks Rizzo, still laughing

I'm with Budster, seeing Charlotte Church every two minutes was infuriating & the one where she was stuffing her face resulted in me having to leave to make a cuppa

Didn't anyone spot the Mullins howler, when he called Saracens, Harlequins.....good grief can they get any worse? oh I really wished I hadn't asked that.

On a slight tangent, at work I'm always logged on to the 'breaking' news stories. The other day one headline read "DC wants Ashton to keep his job" a little later after the Johno stories were breaking, another one read "DC would back the appointment of MJ". Two pints come to mind

1)When did DC become the worlds foremost expert on all things Rugby
2)Won't DC do well under Mr Andrews with fence sitting like that
To The Board ~ you have one season to prove you've got this decision right. More than you gave Marcelo
SkippyTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by SkippyTiger »

And of course there was the running 'joke' about refering to Oz as the 'new England Backs Coach' every time they spoke to him. Yeah ok, it was funny the 1st time you did it but the 17 times after that.....

How Goode kept a straight face in that inteview I'll never know. He's just played a blinder and got MotM and the inteviewer wants to talk about the guy on the other team.
tigertrace
Tiger Cub

Post by tigertrace »

I'm used to Greenwood and Barnes off Sky - much better! But........who cares? We won!
the next game, nearly every time Henson's name mentioned or his mush was on tv.....quick shot to Charlotte?!!!!!Sooooooo annoying!
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

I'm not a fan of Barnes particuarly, but i must admit himself and Miles Harrison provide a decent dynamic, get names right and both tend to know what they're on about and realise they are there to do a job - not to argue. Harrison does the commentating and Barnes does the (admitedly often bias one way or the other but still better than Moore) insight.
scrambo
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by scrambo »

i liked their commentary but they kept going on about blooming dc and how wonderful he is etc and then goode outshines and they said he was one of england's lost no 10s, loved the way they were saying that goode was goving dc a run for his money showing him how it should be done.

My dad got fed up of them going about dc as well which says something when he doesnt watch the game (though i think he is a closet fan as he seems to know the rules )
Better to live one year as a tiger, than a hundred as a sheep.
crateman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by crateman »

With reference to Brian Moore, I rather like his unguarded comments. Eddie Butler has always annoyed me, but he has improved in recent years. EBs answer to Moores comments about the quality of club games by referring to 2 welsh matches was confusing, does he consider Wales to be the equivalent of an english club?? I know I do (stir with BIG spoon).

Honestly though, I felt strangely comforted when Brian Moore started with the M word. After all, the first part of the weekend is traditionally bad for Messiahs. But by next weekend, the BBC will have resurrected him I'm sure.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

If Cipriani was a Tigers player, would he be anywhere near the England team at this point?

Bias on TV is one thing, but there seems to be a serious bias in the England set up.

Pick the Tigers forwards by all means, but don't bother with the backs.

I think te semi-final may have proved that Tigers can play all over the park.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
pogue3
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pogue3 »

Brian Moores comments are fantastic and most of the time right, it's just that most other commentators will say what they mean. Eddie Butler has a great voice but gets far too many things wrong. the number of players he gets wrong is terrible and doesn't seem to have kept up with the rules of the game. Maybe old age is setting in for Eddie :smt003
exiledandy

Post by exiledandy »

None of you have even commented on the moment when Brian Moore was talking about Vickery's bad scrummaging and he couldn't remember Ayerza's name, so referred to "the other bloke" continually.

Also - wondered whether they had all been down the pub. Inverdale kept on making mistakes, and was really ham-fisted when it came to advertising other matches which the BBC is due to screen.

General lack of professionalism wasn't exactly a credit to BBC.