Wilkinson dropped!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

RayDTuTu wrote:There is very little riding on the game so it gives him a chance to have a go without too much pressure.

Very True Ray, which begs the question, "why did he resist the urge to blood a few more youngsters?"
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
RayDTuTu

Post by RayDTuTu »

Croft keeps his place ahead of Haskell.

What other youngsters (from the existing squad) did you have in mind?
shedhead1

Post by shedhead1 »

Shedhead1 here:

Yes drop Big Les and Ian B for this one. Why not try Sinbad? He has not put a foot wrong all season, his pace is electric and he tackles like his life depends on it. BA, please give him a chance and this was the game to do it.

The other guy who should be on the bench is AA (Ant Allen).
Mid Lander

Post by Mid Lander »

Deano! Deano! Deano!
Bruce Hornby-Trainset

Post by Bruce Hornby-Trainset »

This is a strange and unworthy feeling, but come on Ireland! And bring some coffin nails and give them a good Bash!
This year I'm on the Whisky diet. It really works - last week I lost three days!
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Ray,

Why not opt for some of the other players like Sinbad, or Tait? Maybe not the youngsters, but certainly those who will outlive the incumbants! I would have liked to see Haskell at 8 and Croft at 6 for example. Why not try one of the Country's young locks?

If the game is a dead rubber, let's see what the player who haven't ballsed things up can do!

We can either feebly lose by 10 with the existing players, or specatucularly lose by 30 giving it a go.
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
Chelmer Tiger

Post by Chelmer Tiger »

You have to admire Bashton for keeping faith with most of the same squad. Unfortunately for him it is the wrong one. I am not convinced abut Easter (at the moment), Noon (ever) or Vainokolo (until he has more experience)- or Vickery (with Stevens available). I think we have the players to pick from who could do themselves justice in the 6N, but am glad that we can continue to call on Hipkiss, Crane and Harry for a while longer. Let's hope his last game in charge will be a dynamic and existing one (although not too good otherwise he may get another season!)
cooke-1
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by cooke-1 »

One change is that all-lets do a france!!
Drop no15(not even going to speak his name as he isn't worth it), bring in tait.
Lesley ineffective(unless ashton changes gameplan), so bring in simbad!
Also whilst we're at it lets sack the coach and start fresh. Perhaps under the wise Shaun Edwards or someone elso.
Don't tell me Ashton showed guts dropping Jonny... he had to do it otherwise he would have been hung out to dry by all the fans.
x
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I've thought about this a fair bit this afternoon. Whilst it is the case that others in the team haven't performed, in Wilkinson's case there is a viable replacement who is obviously playing better than he is. In which case Cipriani was a no brainer.

In Vainokolo's case, if we are to accept that Ashton is building a team for the future and should be experimenting, then we should remember that Vainikolo is in his first championship and needs time to grow in to the role. Rightly or wrongly, Ashton will feel Vainikolo needs a run in the side. Personally yes I feel Simpson-Daniel should be in but having decided to pitch Vainikolo in I understand him sticking with him.

Balshaw is still a mystery to most in a sense but name me an alternative having put Cipriani at ten. Yes there is Lewsey but is that a step backwards?
IsraeliTiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IsraeliTiger »

Iain, why not give Sinbad the same chance to prove himself? Have Vainikolo on the bench as an impact sub after 60 minutes when the Irish are already tired.

And no, I don't see Lewsey as a step backwards because he's on form at the moment, unlike Balshaw, but I'd rather see Tait there, or even Abendanon given a chance.
Kinoulton wrote:Surely that's much more in depth than your average corporate box punter can tolerate. How about "If the entire crowd shut up, you shut up. Otherwise we'll close your bar."
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Saturday will be watched with mixed feelings (Like watching the mother-in-law drive your new car off a cliff)
You want England to win but will that mean Ashton keeps his job & England go nowhere?
Mid Lander

Post by Mid Lander »

I can't believe the pundits' backing of Ashton's change(s). How stupid are they?! Again, eng rugby looks ridiculous.

We can all see that changing Wilko wasn't the priority. What about........!

And again, a good stuffing from Ireland might be the best thing for England.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Too many of the pundits are ex-internationals.

Playing rugby for England seems to be too much about waiting your turn rather than being the best player now or probably the best in the future.

How long had Neil Back been the outstanding back row player in England before he got regular selection - ages? He had to wait until the others retired or got injured

How many of this season's selections could be seen as picking the best player?
I'll take a lot of convincing that Shaw, Regan, Gommarsall, Vickery, Wilkinson, Balshaw are the best English players in their given positions. If they were up and coming prospects then it would be fair enough but the first for are in their 30's, Wilkinson hasn't performed since the 2003 world cup & the latter looks like a rabbit in the headlights.

If you want to be the best the coach can't afford to make these mistakes out of misguided loyalty.
If you want to show loyalty pick the best side available. That's fair, it motivates all potential players and a recipe for sucess.

I'm not suggesting that any player should be dropped after 1 poor game but it's reasonable to expect all players to be showing good club form (Gommersall not even in the Harlequins side) and a run of poor form should result in an opportunity for others.