Post by shareholder »

where is Major is he injured?
old fart
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Re: team for worcester

Post by dailywaffle »

shareholder wrote:where is Major is he injured?
The Rugby Hour on Radio Leicester hinted that Mauger was carrying an injury, but this is not the site for any definitive injury news.

The team:

Tigers vs Worcester (Sixways, Saturday, 3pm)

15. Sam Vesty
14. Tom Varndell
13. Ollie Smith
12. Tom Youngs
11. Alesana Tuilagi
10. Andy Goode
9. Harry Ellis

1. Boris Stankovich
2. Mefin Davies
3. Julian White
4. Martin Corry (c)
5. Louis Deacon
6. Brett Deacon
7. Ben Pienaar
8. Jordan Crane

Replacements

16. Ben Kayser
17. Marcos Ayerza
18. Alex Moreno
19. Gregor Gillanders
20. Frank Murphy
21. Ian Humphreys
22. Matt Cornwell
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

Pretty strong team (if this is correct). I like the look of the pack a lot - good balance of runners and grunt!

Disappointed Humphries is on the bench - I'd love to see him get 5-6 games on the bounce.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Well, I'm uneasy. This match will be far from straightforward, and whilst we don't know if its down to injury, form or rotation there are some selections that trouble me.

Johne Murphy - not even in the 22, despite looking so good every time he plays at 15.

No offence to Tom Youngs, but yet another different centre partnership - any consistency in midfield is impossible to achieve with so much chopping and changing.

Mauger, Rabeni, Erinle - all previously played well, none in the 22.

Mefin Davies - time to back up his words in the Mercury with some action.

Second and back rows will have a very tough test - although I appreciate that resources are stretched to the limit here. I don't remember Pienaar ever playing openside at 'A' level, let alone GP.

Matt Cornwell - good to see that he's back from injury, but aren't options with more impact and recent form available?
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Team for Worcester

Post by rdracup »

Good team in circumstances ... but the forward cover on the bench looks out of balance to me ... hope we don't get cught out with injuries in the match
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Re: Team for Worcester

Post by Chobbsy »

shareholder wrote:where is Major is he injured?
And Danny
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
HerbertJ

Post by HerbertJ »

Think this is a good team

Think playing Youngs is a great choice, we cant rely on Mauger been our only out and out 12, and this then makes Goode logical for a more solid, if unspectacular, fly half.

Therefore also Pienarr is as good a choice as well, afterall after the internationals we wont be able to play Herring and Ayerza

Dont wont to be stuck in the England situation with all old stars who dont win in a few years...
English by birth, a Tiger by the Grace of God
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

This is not likely to be an easy game, and so a brave shout to bring in inexperienced players.
We must be down to the bare bones with the 2nd/back row players. Agree there is a lack of balance here on the bench. Assume Blaze, Abrahams and Herring injured.

Baffling why there is none of Mauger,Hipkiss,Erinle, J Murphy, Rabeni in the 22, unless they are all injured?
Oh well, let's hope ML knows best.
Witto
Tiger Cub

Post by Witto »

This isn't going to be an easy game what with Worcester beating Sale last week they will have their tales up!
I hope that Alex and Harry are fully match fit, I think they both should be on the bench and given another 30mins run out as impact players.I hope we don't sustain any more injuries either especially in the second and back row.
It's a shame there's no Mauger again I think that last week he could have exploited the space in the Leeds line and scored his first try for us, it could be much the same this week.
COME ON TIGERS!
Never forget to keep in touch with yourself !!!!
All for one and one for all !
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Let's get the obligitary moan out of the way. Would have been nice to see an injury list.

Right. As we can't say its a good team in the circumstances (we don't know the circumstances) I must say the centres look a bit lightweight, I would have liked to have seen Rabeni in there. And Humphries must be feeling a bit disappointed after last week, perhaps they're looking for a more defensive 10 and I would say that Goodies boot has got him in too.

On the plus side its fantastic to see Harry starting, only hope its not too soon for a start.

It will be tight though, we're back to guessing which Tigers team turns up. The one that played Glaws or the ones that played Irish and Sale.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Crivvens
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crivvens »

dailywaffle wrote:Well, I'm uneasy. This match will be far from straightforward, and whilst we don't know if its down to injury, form or rotation there are some selections that trouble me.

Johne Murphy - not even in the 22, despite looking so good every time he plays at 15.

No offence to Tom Youngs, but yet another different centre partnership - any consistency in midfield is impossible to achieve with so much chopping and changing.

Mauger, Rabeni, Erinle - all previously played well, none in the 22.

Mefin Davies - time to back up his words in the Mercury with some action.

Second and back rows will have a very tough test - although I appreciate that resources are stretched to the limit here. I don't remember Pienaar ever playing openside at 'A' level, let alone GP.

Matt Cornwell - good to see that he's back from injury, but aren't options with more impact and recent form available?

Pretty much my thoughts as well... I know Rambo wasn't fit for last weeks game so I'm presuming he's still got that injury, but I've not heard anything about Erinle being injured so I'm bemused as to why he's not picked in the 22 at least.
Same with J.Murphy, although he has played an awful lot of games this season so maybe is being rested, and Sam won't let anyone down.
Maybe Marcello could have played Johnne at fullback and Vesty at 12, he's played there before..
Blimey...
Sean H

Post by Sean H »

Hmm interesting, perhaps they'll do what france do and get the ball to the wingers ASAP and let them run with it! Hehe! :smt003
Just loving every minute :)
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Sean H wrote:Hmm interesting, perhaps they'll do what france do and get the ball to the wingers ASAP and let them run with it! Hehe! :smt003
What with Goode's distribution ?? I don't think so
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Sean H

Post by Sean H »

Well I don't know, I quite like Goode - to be fair on him when he's on form he is a very good player. But recently you are right and I don't think he has been - Humphreys has played better in my opinion.

You never know though, Andy Goode does have a good cross kick on him, and can pull off some other neat little punts aswell :) Who remember the match against Harlequins? :smt023
Just loving every minute :)
bwightman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by bwightman »

Erm, it looks a bit risky to me. Worcs aren't going to roll over and die. The midfield concerns me - Ollie hasn't been playing that well and it's a big game to the throwing Youngs in there, especially when we need maximum points from our remaining games.

The problem with a big squad is that you're always going to leave someone out, but this is a big shout by ML.

No Rabeni, Erinle, Johnne Murphy, Hipkiss or Mauger in the 22 and that's only in the backs. They're all class players and it's goign to look very bad for us if we get sunk by Worcs after putting them all on ice at this stage in the season.