Living Dead

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jerry Hat-trick
Top Cat
Top Cat

Living Dead

Post by Jerry Hat-trick »

I have read the pages of this forum for some time but have never before registered to make a comment.

I find the debates very stimulating and generally reasoned.

One comment recently caught my attention. I am afraid that I cannot quote it verbatim but it went along the lines of "All those in the Next Stand are the Living Dead" or words to that effect. I am too unsophisticated and IT illiterate to find the actual quote. Be that as it may, it did make me roar with laughter.

As a senior citizen, and I suppose, a Silver Surfer, I am in danger of being associated with the older generation, many of whom who frequent the Members' Stand.

I should like to stress, however, that not everyone of advanced years has already "passed on". There is warm blood in my veins and sufficient voice in my lungs to cheer the Tigers loudly - as I have done for more than 30 years. I do my best amongst the quiet majority who no doubt disapprove somewhat.

Now, where did I put my tartan rug, flask and sandwiches....
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

:smt005

Nice one! You must be the noisy old chap who sits near me.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Re: Living Dead

Post by dailywaffle »

Jerry Hat-trick wrote:I have read the pages of this forum for some time but have never before registered to make a comment.

One comment recently caught my attention. I am afraid that I cannot quote it verbatim but it went along the lines of "All those in the Next Stand are the Living Dead" or words to that effect. I am too unsophisticated and IT illiterate to find the actual quote. Be that as it may, it did make me roar with laughter.

As a senior citizen, and I suppose, a Silver Surfer, I am in danger of being associated with the older generation, many of whom who frequent the Members' Stand.

I should like to stress, however, that not everyone of advanced years has already "passed on". There is warm blood in my veins and sufficient voice in my lungs to cheer the Tigers loudly - as I have done for more than 30 years. I do my best amongst the quiet majority who no doubt disapprove somewhat.

Welcome Jerry.

I remember that post, and it did make me smile. Master Waffle regularly tries to get a bit of noise going in the Next stand, but usually just elicits bemused looks from those around. To each their own, but I've never really understood why so many prefer to watch their rugby in a hushed silence.

I see the Leeds board have commented on how quiet Welford Road was yesterday.
Jerry Hat-trick
Top Cat
Top Cat

Thank you Daily.

To be honest, I think the crowd was somewhat stunned by Leeds 13-0 headstart. The Wing Commander-type gentleman to my right spluttered so much that his monocle jumped out.

Decorum was restored almost immediately however - once he had popped another Werthers Original into his mouth.
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Jerry Hat-trick wrote:Thank you Daily.

To be honest, I think the crowd was somewhat stunned by Leeds 13-0 headstart. The Wing Commander-type gentleman to my right spluttered so much that his monocle jumped out.

Decorum was restored almost immediately however - once he had popped another Werthers Original into his mouth.

Best post of the year so far...
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
Bruce Hornby-Trainset

Post by Bruce Hornby-Trainset »

Jerry, you're much better off where you are - you wouldn't want to be stuck with the "standing-is-best" fascists in the Crumbie!! Perhaps there are more married couples in the Next Stand - whenever I start shouting I get a sharp whack in the ribs from 'Er Indoors. The look on her face stops me in my tracks, quite apart from the rapid loss of air from my lungs....
This year I'm on the Whisky diet. It really works - last week I lost three days!
Duggan

Re: Living Dead

Post by Duggan »

Jerry Hat-trick wrote:I have read the pages of this forum for some time but have never before registered to make a comment.

Brilliant post. :smt023
Leicester, born, bred and proud of it.
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

Bruce Hornby-Trainset wrote:Jerry, you're much better off where you are - you wouldn't want to be stuck with the "standing-is-best" fascists in the Crumbie!! Perhaps there are more married couples in the Next Stand - whenever I start shouting I get a sharp whack in the ribs from 'Er Indoors. The look on her face stops me in my tracks, quite apart from the rapid loss of air from my lungs....
My 'Im Indoors asked me yesterday if I was shouting loud enough.....

You get good noise in the A&L Silver seats & no funny looks.
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex
Duggan

Post by Duggan »

Speaking as someone who stands on the Crumbie, do some people in the seats really tell you to be quiet if you're shouting the team on? Er, it's called support.
Leicester, born, bred and proud of it.
Jerry Hat-trick
Top Cat
Top Cat

I have never yet experienced anyone telling me to be quiet: I shout as loud as I like, all in a tradionally supportive way of course.

I did jump up out of my seat once - when Tom Varndell scored against Stade Francais last year and then not until the ball was grounded so I obscured no-one's view. My actions were greeted with much blustering and tut-tutting. Luckily, these days, my gammy knee prevents such impromptu leaping movements, enabling those less-than-alive supporters to remain in uninterrupted stupour.

There are Health and Safety benefits to keeping the noise level in the Next Stand to a minimum. A few weeks ago, someone sneezed causing the quiet nervous lady in front of me to reach for her angina tablets. Thankfully, the stewards saw sense and did not eject the perpetrator from the ground.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Yesterday was the first time in years that I have been seated in A&L and not standing on the terrace. I thought it was much quieter around me, and our usual screeches and yells were given some strange looks, but then I'm used to that and it doesn't bother me. it was interesting to see the game from a different view and aspect, but I'll be glad to be back on my spot on the terrace next game.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Crumbie Seats Block K is the place to be....I think I'm right in saying that we pretty much orchestrate all the chanting and noise at Welford Road ! We're very vocal, there are approximately 200 qualified referees in my vicinity (including myself and westwinds junior) and we are always right !

Take yesterday, as has been said, very quiet for the first 15 minutes, our Block initiated a Tigers chant which then woke the A&L stand up, who in turn woke the Next stand up !!

We also get cakes, hip flasks and jelly babies handed around....very sociable !!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Jerry ...good post mate and no such peace in our section....when Leeds scored their final try yesterday, a lot of people started to leave, with the conversion still to be taken. How much abuse did they get ??!!! "Sit down, there's a game of rugby going on..." etc etc
Lea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Lea »

When I can get to a home game I usually sit in the A&L stand and I am as noisy as hell.

I dont notice and glances of disaproval. My gf was worried the first time I took her to a game. Leicester vs Bath (48-10 Tigers) and I was yelling my brain out in front of a large batch of Bath fans...she has come from a football supporting background you see.

Has the atmosphere changed?
Sherpa2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sherpa2 »

I get loads of grief in the A&L (W3, V) - think I have landed up in a company owned block of St's - everyone seems very cliché anyway. The guy who sits in front of me gets really narked.

Wont renew my ST for next year, I'm going back down to the clubhouse end - the away supporters have at least come to support!
I used to be indecisive now I just can't make up my mind