Our web site spins news for fans

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Grittson2

Our web site spins news for fans

Post by Grittson2 »

The trouble with this web site is that all we get is spin; its patronising.
Today's headline is 'Ellis and Tuilagi Return for Tigers'. While this is great news there are other questions.
For example where is Erinle, Laussacq, Mauger and Vesty? Are they all injured?
Another headline might be 'Goode benched'.
Another might be about changes to the front row after London Irish and Sale.
We are fed press releases rather than news for fans.
Another example is the fact that the latest update of 'Player News' was on 12/04/07! Has nothing happened since then?
Go Tigers, we will beat Leeds.
WiganTiger

Post by WiganTiger »

and your point is?
Leicester: Home to Premiership Rugby, First Class Cricket (we;;, sort of) and Third Division Football
Angelica
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Angelica »

Have you just joined to complain? That seems a bit odd to me. I'm happy with the news we get and it doesn't seem spin to me at all.

Mauger is injured I think, Goode and Erinle are being rested. Vesty did the splits during the last game and was limping afterwards so I wouldn't be surprised if he's hurt too.

I hope this isn't going to turn into yet another topic about why we aren't given chapter and verse on every single player's injury and status every week.
Half angel half devil, which one's today?
GeddingtonTiger

Post by GeddingtonTiger »

How is it patronising?
Is offended that he is a senior member.
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

No problem with the headline, although it would have been nice for the "Players not considered due to injury:" to have lasted more than 2 weeks...
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

I was thinking that Westy!!
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Oh and btw welcome Grittson2
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Grittson2

Post by Grittson2 »

My point is - lets have a bit more than the gloss that the PR men/women write. I would like some more in-depth and frank comment.
Anjelica, sometimes, as I read contributions I get the feel of a lot of defensiveness. This is strange for the fans of a club that has won so much. I've watched this success, as a season ticket holder for the last 8 years: its been wonderful. Criticism can be positive; don't be so sensitive. Do you have inside info on the players fitness or not, Anjelica? I don't think that this is going to turn into anything; why isn't it helpful for fans to know who is injured or not? Its not a state secret is it?
Oh, its patronising because it treats us as if we can't understand or don't want to know any more than a press handout. We understand and we follow the game week in week out for years. That's clear from much of the message board contributions.
I do notice that there is no response to the fact that 'Player News' has not been updated for 10 months.
We will beat Leeds tomorrow!
Thanks for the welcome Bill.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

I understand the frustration that prompted the post. And welcome from me as well. Receiving information, regularly, on who is injured, is another Holy Grail I'm afraid, and may come in time. Who knows.
tim15

our web sites spins news for fans

Post by tim15 »

Hi Grittson 2 welcome to the mad house, hope you've brought your tin hat and got your anderson shelter ready! :smt024

Totatlly agree with you, Leicester Sound reporters get more in-depth news than we do, it's more a drip, drip effect and hey we only contribute to the running of the cost so why should we get to know too much.

As for Erinle being rested Angelica he's only just started playing and in the Mercury or Sporting Green at the turn of the year he was saying how frustrated he is at not getting a run in the team!!!!!

Think we will be luckly to get 16,000 there this weekend, lots of empty spaces as people way up whether to go.
And on the 7th day, god rested, he stood patiently and awaited the green light to start the game from SKY!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Whilst some people would like updates on players injuries, I am quite happy with be provided with information as to who is playing.

Most fans know that Ellis, Tuilagi, Wentzel have been injured. The Club is not obliged to provide details of a players injuries.

If journalists want to ask the question and get the answers, then so be it.

I have asked the Club to give some updatesb but as to how and when they give them it is up to them.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

I'm sure Grittson, welcome BTW, meant well in his/her post and is just getting something off his/her chest. Unfortunately all the points on here are well rehersed and have all been round the block a few times.

Be honest Tigerbeat, even though you've taken the Queen's Shilling the club haven't been very forthcoming to you have they? How long did you wait for an answer on the injury list question? Answer - a lot longer than it lasted on the team sheets.

Face it Grittson, to you you are loyal fan who wants to feel involved. To the club you are a source of income, and as an individual not a very significant one at that. Its a fact of life you have to accept I'm afraid.

Now, isn't it time we had a song we can all sing on match days?

I've got my coat on and I'm off down the pub.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

I think the site could do better in terms of paranoïa maintenance. Posting titles such as "strange atmosphere in the lockers rooms..." or "we decline to elaborate all rumours you might have heard of..." could help fostering a venomous atmosphere on the forum.

Now, who laid the bar of soap under Laussucq's foot?
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
Angelica
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Angelica »

Of course I'm defensive, I defend everything about Leicester Tigers because I support them wholeheartedly.
I haven't got insider info, I didn't say I had. I('m just writing what I understood to be the situation from stuff I've heard and read.
The bit about player injury updates you probably won't know about, as you've just joined, but there were pretty long and active discussions about whether we should or shouldn't give out weekly injury reports and stuff. Personally I don't need them, Marcelo is the coach not me, and I trust in him and the coaching and fitness staff to put out the best team they think for the occasion. Other folk disagree, but that's up to them. Myself, I don't need to know.

I just love supporting this team and I do it by believing in them all the way, win or lose. That's my way and my choice. sorry if you don't like it but there it is.
Half angel half devil, which one's today?
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Grittson, welcome from me as well.

The points seem fair enough, I'm a little surprised at some of the earlier responses. Especially, as GS says, these are hoary old chestnuts.

Injury updates are something that many (but not all) have expressed a preference for. To little avail. I have regularly emailed the club on this matter; the club chooses not to reply. Interestingly, whenever I email about something that involves revenue they always reply. Ho hum.