Super Tries and the Experimental Law Variations

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westy154
Super User
Super User

Super Tries and the Experimental Law Variations

Post by westy154 »

The Super Tries tournament, sorry Super 14, kicks off tomorrow and it promises to be interesting for once. :smt002

This is because they are using a lot of the ELVs (Experimental Law Variations) that the IRB has been looking at for some time.

Sky Sports have documented what the changes will be:
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 92,00.html (I can't access Tiny URL at work, so if the link messes up the page can the Mods please fix it for me?)

As an aside, is there any reason why a winger can't throw the ball in at the lineout, or anyone else for that matter? If a hooker is playing well in the loose and scrum but having a mare in the lineout, what is there to stop another team member from throwing in? I'm not aware of any laws surrounding this.

Back on topic, how do people see the Super Tries tournament working with the ELVs???
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

As far as I know, anyone can throw in at a lineout. In fact in years gone by it was common for wingers to do so since they were already hanging around on one or other side of the pitch! There must also be an identified 'scrum half' and the numbers in the lineout should be 7 or less (presumably the lineout players could also include any of the players on the pitch too).
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

Anyone can throw the ball in at the lineout. Wingers & SH's used to be common lineout trowers in the past for example.

I think that some of the ELVs are a good idea & others less so. I also don't like the way that only some of the ELVs are being trialled in the S14. In my opinoin it should have been all or none of them trialled fully. I'm not saying that all should end up beicoming Law but they should all get a fair trial in aggregate first.
Tigerbob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigerbob »

The description of the changes to the Quick Throw-In appears to not be a lot different to what we're already accustomed to. I.E. it doesn't have to be straight just not forward.

I can't recall an example of a player being pinged recently for not straight at a quick line-out.

I think the biggest change overall will be the reduction of penalties, and instead having free-kicks awarded. This will certainly make for a faster game, as the number of kicks at goal will probably dramatically decline.

As regard point 4, changes to the rules re kicking directly into touch from a pass back into the 22 - this is going to lead to a much more fluid game - ie not being able to rely on a clearing touch-finder to relieve pressure. Instead, the ball will be hoofed up field into play, and will certainly come straight back again. Hitting touch with a clearing kick will now result in a line-out directly adjacent to the kick!

I agree with DA, there shouldn't be a piece-meal introduction of the new rules, in should be trialled in its entirety.
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

IIRC the SANZAR Super Try coaches got together to discuss whether they should try these rules out (as requested by the IRB) and they voted against the hands in the ruck and the pulling down of mauls.

I do wonder if that is the last we'll see of those particular variations?

The "kicking in the 22" rule I am all in favour of.
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

My understanding is that these two proposals have been vetoed on player safety grounds - and rightly so, IMHO.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
scouse tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by scouse tiger »

Intrigued by the 'offside at the tackle' law.

What happens when ball is off loaded in the tackle ?Are the defensive players offside if still running back? I'm thinking of the scenario were in a typical breakaway, the full back (last man) makes the tackle but the ball is offloaded can the defending players tackle from 'behind'?

Will be interesting to see how its policed.
My Wild Oats Have turned to Shredded Wheat
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Yes they can. Because the ball is then in open play. But after the tackle it is now no longer necessary for a maul or ruck to develop to require the "through the gate" rule to apply.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

So "third man arriving" must stay on his feet (as before) but must also enter from behind the rearmost foot.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Billb
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Billb »

The 3 wise men of Sky raised these changes tonight.

I'm not sure that the change regarding kicking from the 22 will make for faster rugby. Given what I have seen from the Internationals, the aimless kicking from the 22, or just outside the 22, up the middle, which results in the opposition returning the kick, and so on, makes for boring not speedy rugby.

It's interesting that there are quite a few penalty offences which will now be free kicks. Teams, like Tigers, who have a fantastic defence, but who are often penalised for 'technical offences', will give away far fewer points. But will these changes actually encourage teams to 'cheat' to retain a lead in the closing minutes of a match.

7(d) however, could make the whole set of changes a nightmare for both Referees, players and spectators. 'If any of the above becomes deliberately infringing, or repeated infringement, a penalty will be awarded.' How will the referee decide what is deliberate? One minute lying on the ground over the ball is a free kick, the next it's a penalty. Surely that must change to be one or the other.

I agree that the idea of being able to bring down a maul is frightening. The rule was introduced because of the danger to players, and as such should remain. It is interesting to note that the rolling maul was a Tigers weapon in Deano's day, but nowadays you see teams dropping a man in the middle of a maul so that the attacking team cannot keep their footing. This seems to be ignored by Ref's.
BillB
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

I think the key here is that if a yellow card is awarded (deliberate or repeated) then a full penalty will be given.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Bill W wrote:So "third man arriving" must stay on his feet (as before) but must also enter from behind the rearmost foot.
But is this really a significant change? At present:

15.6 (c) At a tackle or near to a tackle, other players who play the ball must do so from behind the ball and from directly behind the tackled player or the tackler closest to those players? goal line.

On the off-loading question, a tackle is not actually deemed to have been made until the ball carrier is 'brought to ground'.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Yes. Not behind the ball but behind the body behind the ball

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Bill W wrote:Yes. Not behind the ball but behind the body behind the ball
This is the ELV I am struggling with. The current law is not only behind the ball, but also behind the tackled player/tackler. In practice, the ref looks at the tackle 'box' and looks to see for the third man coming in from the base-line of the 'box'. (As an aside, there is no reference to 'the gate' anywhere in the laws).

I'm still not clear on what, practically, this change means. The drawing of an offside line at the tackle is clearly (IMO) a much bigger deal.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Under currnet rules until the third man enters there is no offside line. We can debate how the third man emay or may not enter. But you are right - denfesive line must immediately retreat. And so must offensive line.

Sounds like a refereeing nightmare!!

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007