Jonny Wilkinson - What a true gent!!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Jonny Wilkinson - What a true gent!!!

Post by Tigerbeat »

Jonny Wilkinson is a true gent and stayed behind after the game to sign autographs for all of the supporters that had stayed behind.

He is a great ambassador for Newcastle and England rugby.

He could easily have left the Club without seeing any of the fans but chose to meet and sign autographs.

Thanks for the autograph.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
simparms

Post by simparms »

seconded.. there were more fans than usual looking for autographs today after the whistle.. fair play to him for putting a smile on the leicester kid's faces. its a shame he'd rather loose than win trophies though, isnt it
SiMpArMs - Tigers for life
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

simparms wrote:fair play to him for putting a smile on the leicester kid's faces. its a shame he'd rather loose than win trophies though, isnt it
I think he's setting a great example by sticking with his "less successfull" club and not moving to a club just for trophies. Wouldn't have blamed him for moving after Newcastle got rid of Steve Black
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

The fact that he is the most famous rugby player inthe country and has been for nearly 10 years now, yet still chooses to stay behind to sign autographs is a true sign of a good bloke.

Or someone who really likes to sign his own name, but I'll stick with good bloke.
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
Tigersfan90
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Jonny Wilkinson - What a true gent!!!

Post by Tigersfan90 »

100% agree. I expected him to be quite low after Newcastle losing, no doubt he was but he kept his smile while signing with the fans (Not forgetting the other Falcons players either (…Mathew Tait and Toby Flood etc.). Very impressed!

:smt001
Guinness Premiership Champions & Heineken Cup Finalists 2009
Tigers never give up !
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

My children, like many were in the tunnel after the game trying to get a phot with JW and would certainly echo the earlier positive comments about the guy. In our experinece he always does this when hr comes to WR - he lets almost all the other players leave and then comes out to sign autographs - only leaving when a steward ( or the like) comes out and gives him a ten minute warning that he needs to go.

Great advert for the game, and as for staying with Newcastle - he could have gone anywhere but they stood by him when he was injured and I guess he is repaying the favour.

Just also like to say well done to Oz - saw him in the background and asked a steward if he was likely to come out - responded to the request by posing for photos for all. - Legend.
bazzwick
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Jonny Wilkinson - What a true gent!!!

Post by bazzwick »

Tigerbeat wrote:Jonny Wilkinson is a true gent and stayed behind after the game to sign autographs for all of the supporters that had stayed behind.

He is a great ambassador for Newcastle and England rugby.

He could easily have left the Club without seeing any of the fans but chose to meet and sign autographs.

Thanks for the autograph.
I heard that he had to take control of proceedings though as things were allegedly getting out of hand.

At one stage he was clearly heard to say 'there appears to be two seperate queues for my autograph . . . The queue on my left was quite clearly started prior to the queue on my right and so please would everyone now join the left hand queue and I am declaring the right hand queue locked.'

Later more confusion reigned when people appeared to be pushing pieces of papers and pens in his direction without complicit instructions leading Wilko to shout out to the masses 'When you start a request for an autograph, will you please clearly state in your opening sentence the exact nature of what action you require me to take or other persons may not fully understand the nature of your request leading to ultimate confusion amongst autograph hunters'

It may just be an urban myth though.
Tiger Eye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger Eye »

I'm gonna log onto ebay now, it'll be full of Jonny Wilkinson autographs!
:smt024

I am joking of course...

It shows a great sport when a player sticks around to do that, whether they win or lose.

Well done to the Tigers!
Leinster Heineken Cup champions 2009
Ireland Grand Slam champions 2009

http://sites.google.com/site/ritamarielawlor/
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

bazzwick.... :lol:

Nice one!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

One thing that Jonny refused to sign was peoples shirts.

He just told everyone who asked, "I dont autograph clothing."

I managed to get my 2003 World Cup programmes signed
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

hmmm i wonder why he won't autograph clothing?

good on the guy for staying out - a true gent of the game.
thankyounote

Post by thankyounote »

he won't sign clothing as it gets out on ebay he only does it for charities and he stayed behind last year when i saw him too he is really good for that.

Plus if some of you didn't know i run a Jonny fans site www.wilkofans.co.uk and wrote to him about it and I got this http://www.wilkofans.co.uk/pictures/file0001.jpg from him last week which i think is really nice and just shows he appreciates his fans.
www.wilkofans.co.uk THE BEST JONNY WILKINSON FAN SITE TAKE A LOOK PLEASE!!
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

JW was being amazingly patient and good-natured doing the signing - he was there for ages, and must have been risking RSI! Gate Junior eventually got near enough to his Jonnyness to get a Wilko-signed programme which he is very happy with, although I have to say the highlight of his day was nobbling The Mighty Loffreda to sign his shirt and pose with him for a photo about five minutes later. Got his priorities right, that boy. :smt003
mrsmoody
Super User
Super User

Post by mrsmoody »

I know! I said to him how I admire his patience for waiting around for so long!

The only thing that got to me was the lack of respect some people showed- shoving cameras and stuff in his face, and a number didn't even say thankyou! He didn't have to stay and do that; he should be treated like the human being he is!
Kellogs frosties, brings out the tiger in you!

http://Hannah-Fantastic.bebo.com
Budster
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Budster »

The guy is class, he will always be a sporting hero of mine.
Up there with Botham and a few Tigers.