Tigers TV coverage on EMT (that's East Midlands Today)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

FlyingTiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by FlyingTiger »

Nice one BP. I often choose the East Midlands BBC channel to get info on the Tigers and 9/10 nothing worth the bother. I too get frustrated when the BBC's final score does not include other sports results and reports but insists on rehash on rehash of the same footie rubbish.
The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the reach
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Thanks BJ. You have prompted me to send an email too.

I urge all Tigers supporters to do the same.
Valhalla I am coming!
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

I'm with you on this one.

However, I do wonder how much Murdoch's Sky charges a small local TV station for the privilege of showing footage of a Premership rugby match. There may be prohibitive costs involved.

Even if that were the case, there seems little justification for ignoring the most important team in the Midlands. More in-depth coverage of rugby in general, and Tigers specifically, is required.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Belper John

Very well put - It is exactly the correct points to be putting to them.

The usual argument is that football has a far greater following but How can Mansfeild town with it's one man and a dog watching have a greater following than Tgers with welford road bursting at the seams.

It fact as we start to develop the stadium and City and Forest continue their decline I suggest that it may not be long before we see higher average gates at WR than at Walkers or the City ground.

I think the only places one can find reasonable amounts of info on Tigers other than this site is either radio Leicester or better still the Leicester Mercury who I thinkdo a pretty good job.

In fact I think your justifiable rant letter needs to to fractionally edited and sent to the mercury post bag or the sports editor as they are always very good at publishing these sort of things and if a bit of a bandwagon got up ......... you never know EMT may just change their ways and put news of great Lions above Posh's latest half wit dragged out of the fens.
Tom Tom
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tom Tom »

Belper John
Having 'had a go' at you on another thread it is only fair of me to say a well done on this.
You made your point very well.
Pedigree Chum
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Pedigree Chum »

well done BJ.......

email has been sent......... :smt024

ever tried watching Central news for the east midlands.........No........ Dont bother.......that will soon come from Birmingham, so at least we'll know that Kidderminster Harriers have signed a new tea lady, and that Fairfield Avenue in Dudley has a birst water pipe....... :smt002
tigersimon
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by tigersimon »

Missed the prog at 18:30 on Monday - so went to web and as BJ says not even a mention on the FULL VERSION on the web!

If Murdochvision stops Web transmission from other tv stations then this needs to be explained on the website.
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

Excellent lines of running BP,let's see EMT defend against that!

On a similar note, or am I missing a link somewhere, where are this website's video highlights? Last year they gave us at least a flavour of what we may have missed, something to be appreciated even for supporters who saw a game live.
BenWL
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by BenWL »

Living right on the North Warks border we get West Midlands news which only seems to care about Staffordshire and Shropshire so it is no surprise to me that East Midlands news covers the extremeties such as Cambridgeshire and the 2 well below par footy teams in Notts.

Unfortunately it is a battle that you are destined not to win. A quick straw pole around people that I knoware roundyball fans found that they see Rugby Union as elitist, full of Ra Ra's and and a game for the wealthy, public school sector. There is a mistaken belief that roundyball is the game of the people and in a society where elitism is frowned upon everything needs to be brought down to the lowest common denominator.

Those of us that do follow Rugby realise that this is all rubbish but the PC BBC with it's left of the norm idealism will always tread the path of the masses so as not to offend and to get bigger ratings.

I might start living the lie and call myself Lord Ben of Witherley, wear a monocle and get my chauffeur to pick me up after the game...!

Nice try anyway BJ...!
I'm the one in the Tigers shirt on the 22. You can't miss me...!
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Interesting response there. Several of those items you cannot really argue with.
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
BenWL
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by BenWL »

Maybe we need to learn from the roundyball clubs about giving better access or maybe there has been a falling out in previous years that has led to Tigers digging their heels in...?

More press coverage leads to more fans which in turn leads to more revenue. QED
I'm the one in the Tigers shirt on the 22. You can't miss me...!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Although I now live in Lincolnshire, I used to live on Aylestone Road where the Infirmary car park is now. I always watch EMT on Sky to keep up with all things Leicester related. Something I have noted over the years is that EMT is biased towards Nottingham (nothing to do with the studio being in Nottingham I'm sure :smt012 ), so no surprise with some of the extra time spent on Forest and Notts County.

While I hate to admit it, rugby in general and even Tigers are a bit Jonny-come-lately in the big attendance and support stakes. It will take some time for EMT to recognise that our football teams have slumped (we no longer have 3 teams in the top division like we did a few - 10? - years back and could end up with none in the Premiership and just one in the Champioship next season) while Tigers go from strength to strength.
Rubymint

Post by Rubymint »

It does sound like the blame lies more with the Tigers Press Office then...

...Can we start a petition to encourage them to open up more to attract greater coverage??
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

May be that Marcelo and Cockers and the coaches would not release them........the Press Office cannot be assumed to be at fault.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk