Mauger - the emerging threat !

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Just the cutting 12 we have needed since Gibbo was in form. I bet the backs are going to enjoy this from now on. They will be really fighting for a place now.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Outlander
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Outlander »

fleabane wrote:Agree completely about the emergence of AM as a force for the team, but I also think we saw the beginnings of Loffreda's preferred style of play.
Total agreement. This is precisely the right insight.

I thought AM was great today. But I also think that the Tigers' attack came together today. It has been sputtering and just failing to catch, but today it caught fire.

It isn't just Mauger who had to gel with the team. It is the whole TEAM that is gelling under Loffreda's leadership. They have been figuring out how to play the percentages ML wants them to play and then find their attack mode.

Today, they figured that out about 25:00 into the game. Mauger was part of it. A big part of it. You can see how he threatens defenses up the middle with the ability to release others into attack.

But others were part of it too. Croft. Goode, who not only kicked for 2 tries but was also clever with the ball in hand. Varndell who was suddenly a featured part of the attack running lines and being channelled into the middle of the park.

The side played today as if they had a well constructed game plan and understood how to execute it.

And you have to also assume that Loffreda is beginning how to use his players. I think the usage of Varndell reflects a coach who is beginning to figure his players out.

This was a hell of a win today, a team win. Mauger was a sublime part of it, but I think the whole squad and its coach are gelling together.
Just a Yankee looker-on from afar.
Cockney tiger

Class

Post by Cockney tiger »

The thing with mauger, is that you can see he is not lightening quick, but he is so smart that he knows aslong as he can break the line there should be plenty of others with gass on his shoulder.

A very clever player and with just a bit more guile than our last Kiwi No 12.

I was looking forward to what he might do everytime the ball went to him.
Trout 63
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trout 63 »

Since the announcements were made last year, I've always been sure that we signed the right All Black '12' :smt023
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

I'd read that Ollie was enjoying training with Mauger and thought that playing alongside could start to bring the best out in him.

Apparently so...

Smith was superb today, offering power in contact and those subtle offloads and passes that he used to pull of all the time.

Looking forward to the two of them making a great partnership.
johnh

Post by johnh »

As one who was skeptical about Mauger, after yesterdays performance I am quite happy to eat humble pie and say he was sublime and if he continues to play like that i will become as big a fan of his as I was of Gibbo.

And I thought Goodey had a terrific game too. That's two players I hadn't rated highly up to now that have put me in my place.

Excuse me while I go and take my foot out of my mouth....
Ghostgen

Post by Ghostgen »

Hi,

Long time reader, first time poster. I have to also admit that I had major doubts about Mauger. Infact after watching his first few games I was calling him every name under the sun (only from the safety of my living room) However after yesterday I take it all back, well most of it anyway. I do hope and I am sure there is more to come from him and I can't wait.

Matt
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

My friend from New Zealand, who came to london Irish game with me when he was over at Christmas has always assured me that Mauger is THE top player and the guy that the All Blacks most missed in the world cup - he could not believe the negative coments around the terrace about Mauger. Yesterday he was proved correct and I think that will be the beginning of a great no 12 for Tigers following in the footsteps of Pat and Gibbo.

Also a top bloke - as he stopped on his way up the terrace steps to signs Autographs for both my friends kids who as Kiwis were thrilled.

Later that day I asked Tom Croft (amongst many others) to sign for them - I told them to treasure that one because that lad will be a great England player in the future - Yesterday I think I was proved correct also!!
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Hi Ghostgen and welcome to the forum. I think after last year a lot of expectations were raised very high. It was always going to be a bit of a strange season with Loffreda and Mauger arriving during the season, but I think we had a glimpse of the future at Hardlywins yesterday.

One swallow doesn't make a spring and there's a lot of work to be done, but what a taster that was. All that and Alex T back to fitness is something to savour in the future, not to mention Harry and Scotty looking to return too.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
cooke-1
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by cooke-1 »

now he has silenced all you doubters!