corry:- true captain

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mat »

I think we need Corry. he is possibly the most consistent player we have ever had. He is still the best hard yards man about. I would like him maybe to go to lock but then we are inundated with world class locks.
The Youngsters are dong well but youngsters need experience around them to help them.
austin#1fan4eva
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by austin#1fan4eva »

Exactly, couldnt agree with you more Mat. Even Alex Ferguson when he had his golden generation of Becks, Scholes etc he still had that experience of Pallister and Schmeichel etc .We need to make sure that we help the more experienced players mould the future of the younger players by helping them to be part of a successful, confident team that play 15 man rugby with flair and style...bring on 2008!!
Austin....wish you were still playing, its not the same without you!!
fferm buttocks

Post by fferm buttocks »

Yes exactly, the young players need experience around them, & Cozzas got that in spades ... ho ever said they respect and admire him but ... there shouldn't be any buts, if you really respect him. Theres not many men of that class captaining rugby teams. And no I'm not Mr Corry, either ... I and no one else here is half the man!
Captain Martin Corry rules ok
Moose
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Moose »

Nik wrote: Did you stamp your feet and go red when writing that little statement there haha :smt001 certainly sounds like it, get over yourself me duck.
Once again all bluster and no substance...if you actually said anything meaningful rather than having a go at people then i might actually take you a bit more seriously.
Moose
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Moose »

On reflection, that's slightly harsher than i meant it to be.

What i want to say is rather than just having a go at me for stating my point of view (which i feel i am entitled to as someone who knows probably as much about rugby as anyone else in these parts) why can't we just have a reasonable discussion. Disagree by all means - variety is the spice of life and all that - but don't jump down my throat simply because i suggest a player's not performed or might not be guraranteed of a starting spot.
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

Moose wrote:On reflection, that's slightly harsher than i meant it to be.

What i want to say is rather than just having a go at me for stating my point of view (which i feel i am entitled to as someone who knows probably as much about rugby as anyone else in these parts) why can't we just have a reasonable discussion. Disagree by all means - variety is the spice of life and all that - but don't jump down my throat simply because i suggest a player's not performed or might not be guraranteed of a starting spot.
actually moose that's how I felt before you and nabuk started having a go at me about my point of view. if we all agreed to agree it would be boring however once it gets personal it's not nice.. when I feel backed into a corner then I'll come out fighting the same as you. So let's agree to disagree constructively...
Life was like a box of chocolates - until I ate them! :smt061
sammy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sammy »

I think Cozza's rubbish. And thats the end of it.

Or to put it another way, he's one dimensional, slower, and less skilful than he was. But he is also powerful and a real talisman. Undoubtedly he is the past, but I still feel he has a part to play.

Unfortunately though there is no way you can play Crane, Corry and Moody in the same unit. It's not quick enough.
Nabuk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nabuk »

Nik wrote: Did you stamp your feet and go red when writing that little statement there haha :smt001 certainly sounds like it, get over yourself me duck.

:smt046

Yet another quality post from Nik ..............
I RESOLVE TO BE NICER THIS YEAR !
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

well Nabuk at least it stops you having a go at others...

One question, all this slating of our Captain and other players, do you think you can do any better? I wonder what it would be like if you had a forum at work/school and you saw people writing negative comments about you - how would you feel?

Put's it into perspective eh.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Nik wrote:well Nabuk at least it stops you having a go at others...

One question, all this slating of our Captain and other players, do you think you can do any better? I wonder what it would be like if you had a forum at work/school and you saw people writing negative comments about you - how would you feel?

erm... like a normal day at school lol!! most of the population of the school hate me because of my musical tastes, country and classic rock, my constant defense of rugby, and because i am different lol! it would impress me that people cared that much to actually log on to something and say how they felt! Everyone is intitled to their opinion, and the freedom of speech allows us to say what we want-within reason. People who try to stop that are as bad as the people saying the things in the 1st place. Any players looking at the negativity must realise that if they let it affect them, their not very professional.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

sammy wrote:I think Cozza's rubbish. And thats the end of it.

Or to put it another way, he's one dimensional, slower, and less skilful than he was. But he is also powerful and a real talisman. Undoubtedly he is the past, but I still feel he has a part to play.

Unfortunately though there is no way you can play Crane, Corry and Moody in the same unit. It's not quick enough.
IMHO you first statement is somewhat OTT and simplistic and false! But you redeemed youself, again IMHO, with the second paragraph - which by and large I agreed with. If this is a definition of "rubbish" then we could do far worse than field "rubbish".

But it brings me back to a point I have attempted to make before - alas to no avail, namely that it depends on who we are playing and in what conditions - and indeed with what game plan (we have a game plan?)
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

TheTigerRoarsInTheHeart wrote:
Nik wrote:well Nabuk at least it stops you having a go at others...

erm... like a normal day at school lol!! most of the population of the school hate me because of my musical tastes, country and classic rock, my constant defense of rugby, and because i am different lol! it would impress me that people cared that much to actually log on to something and say how they felt! Everyone is intitled to their opinion, and the freedom of speech allows us to say what we want-within reason. People who try to stop that are as bad as the people saying the things in the 1st place. Any players looking at the negativity must realise that if they let it affect them, their not very professional.
Appraisals at work are good, but as managers you have to be constructive and positive, not dwell on negativity, it's a fine balance. It wouldn't be professional to slap somebody down by telling them they are rubbish, you point out areas for improvement and agree as to how these improvements can be achieved... if I told anybody they were rubbish I'd be disciplined for being unprofessional myself!

So I agree to your post in one way but disagree with the part of them not being professional if negative comments get to them, anything like that can knock anybody's confidence, whether you like it or not.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

So, in the context of Martin's appraisal:
Strenghts
1. He is powerful;

2. He is a talisman;

Weaknesses
He is less multi dimensional, skillful and slower than he was.

[note that I have separated the strengths and put them first and combined the weknesses and put the strengths first! And these are not mine they are from sammy]

Opportunites

Multipositional

Lead to silverware in 2007/8

Threats

Younger less experienced players coming through.

Action plan

(a) by player

(b) by club

I will leave you to complete that bit.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

(a) Martin to retire from international rugby after the six-nations and then decide about his Leicester Career

(b) Club to appoint new Captain as of next season, regardless of whether Corry retires or keeps going.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

I have no problems with your (a)
With regard to (b) I think this is too strong. If I were ML/PW/PT (Oooh sorry Tigerbeat - Marcil Lolfreda, Peter Wheeler, Peter Tom) I think I might want to influence my succession planning on when HE (Harry Ellis) became available and how effectively he came back. So I would not rule out MC (Martin Corry) as Club Captain next year (he does not have to Captain every game on the field)to be replaced by young Harry the year after.