Team for Toulouse Away

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DorsetTiger

Team for Toulouse Away

Post by DorsetTiger »

As it is such an important game I thought I would get stuck into it today. The mercury says that Murphy, Moody, Kay and Tualagi will be fit. Assuming they are who would start?

For me:

Castro
Kayser
Ayerza
Kay
Deacon
Moody
Crane
Corry

Youngs
Goode

Mauger
Hipkiss

Varndell
Tualagi
Murphy
cooke-1
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by cooke-1 »

See you have found no space for seru....interesting!
would have him on the wing instead of varndel
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I would keep Whitey at tight head and put Castro to loose head for this one - Tgere tight head caused a lot of problems and although Marcos had a great game in the loose he struggled in the tight - I would like to see Castro have a go against him - It is no disgrace to Marcos, this guy gave ollie le Roux a torrid time too by all accounts.

I would definately keep Varndell in - he looks a constant threat and will be even more effective in dryer conditions - and his defence has improved immeasureably. Mauger needs to prove he is fit and his head is right otherwise I would get Ollie and Danny in the centre.

This is possibly a case for Kay but I thought the back 5 of the scrum went really well and Wentsel again will be better on harder ground and his lineout work is better - the only reason I would put kay in is for scrummaging

- Moody !! were do we put him ?

The best 2 players on the park on Saturday were Crane and Abrahams - Tricky to drop Corry who din't have abad game either - Good to be in this situation - es[pecially as I thought we would really miss Jennings this year!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Why would you pitch a young and nervous scrum half who lost his bottle with his passing last weekend into a pressure cooker match in front of a hostile French crowd?? Thats just madness and a sure fire way of destroying a young player. Tim Taylor or Luke Myring anyone?

Also, I don't think you could leave Wentzel out at the minute.
DorsetTiger

Post by DorsetTiger »

The only reason I put Youngs in is because the mercury says that Murphy will not make the game because of the injury he picked up. I completely agree with you about Youngs but he is the only option.

With regard to Moody and Kay. Yes, Abraham and Crane played very well on Saturday but that was at home in front of fierce home support. Away at Toulouse we will need our most experienced players to deal with the crowd and conditions. For me, this means that Kay and Moody have to play.
sammy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sammy »

If he is fit, play Laussucq at nine. I would go with:

1 Ayerza
2 Kayser
3 Castro
4 Deacon
5 Wentzel
6 Corry
7 Moody (Abraham if Lewis is out)
8 Crane
9 Laussucq
10 Goode
11 Varndell
12 Smith
13 Hipkiss
14 Tuilagi
15 G Murphy
Bruce Hornby-Trainset

Post by Bruce Hornby-Trainset »

Laussucq is being given a run-out tonight. If he looks OK, I would play him in Toulouse
This year I'm on the Whisky diet. It really works - last week I lost three days!
pogue3
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pogue3 »

would like to see seru and alesana have a bit more of a run out this weekend against toulose. would give them something extra to think about and could cause them a lot of problems.
for me, castro and white to make up front row with kayser.
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Team vs Toulouse away

Post by mike »

A front row of Castro ,Kayser,White is our best option - Ayerza struggling at scrums . Ben Youngs at scrum half , Ollie at 12 , Tuilagi on the wing , with Mauger on the bench .They will be scared of big Alex and we need to get him running at that little fly half !
martynsmiffss
Tiger Cub
Location: The Crumbie and I don't mean the Holland and Barret !!

Post by martynsmiffss »

Good thread with some constructive views, Mightymouse obviously watched Sats game from next to me called the front row spot-on!!

I think that we will need all our experienced players to get anything in Toulouse on Sunday it is not a time for untested combinations or inexperience IMHO :smt003

based on above and of course defying my own logic by picking an untested centre combination my team would be:-

1 Castro
2 Kayser
3 White

4 Kay
5 Wentzel

6 Corry
7 Moody
8 Crane

9 Murphy
10 Goode

11 Varndell
12 Mauger
13 Hipkiss
14 Tuilagi

15 Murphy

Bench

Chuter
Ayerza
Croft
L Deacon
Laussucq
Smith
Vesty

There you go, it's easy being an armcahir selector especially when your job doesn't depend on it!! :smt002

Good Luck Marcelo & Richard :smt023
Sad Old Prop
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Martyn,

I'd go for your side but with Abraham ahead of Croft on the bench, as Croft can't really cover 7. I'd also swap Laussucq and Youngs if Murphy isn't fit (Youngs' passing was appalling at times).

As Tuilagi hasn't played for a while (and not played well for even longer) I'd bring him off the bench, starting with Smith on the wing (as he's a better defender, and we'll be defending from the off).
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

SH is the real headache. With the Mercury already listing Murphy as doubtful Loffreda probably has to make a huge call.

If Laussucq was auditioning for the role in Monday night's 'A' match then he did not convince. I was really hoping that he would come through strongly, but he didn't. That said, he also didn't lob any hand grenades in the way that young Ben did on Saturday. Ben Youngs is clearly the better long-term prospect, but would be a far bigger gamble than, say, Humphreys at Thomond Park.

Plenty of reasons to not pick either, but if Frank isn't fit then both will be in the 22. Its a horribly difficult decision as to who starts, and I'm really not sure which way Loffreda will go.
Sherpa2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sherpa2 »

But surely Mr Mauger was supposed to be the answer to all our problems in the backs - so start him at 9 (now where is that tongue in cheek emoticon?)
I used to be indecisive now I just can't make up my mind