Why no countdown clock...????

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BenWL
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Why no countdown clock...????

Post by BenWL »

Can someone explain to me why we have the clock over the TV commentary box counting down some weeks but not others...?

Toulouse were starting to look dangerous in the last few minutes and it would have been easier on my nerves if I had known how long there was to go and I'm sure the players would also like to know.
I'm the one in the Tigers shirt on the 22. You can't miss me...!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

It is supplied by Guinness, as such it is for Premiership matches only.
Sherpa2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sherpa2 »

Thanks for the explanation Iain, I was wondering about it as well but how daft is that!!
I used to be indecisive now I just can't make up my mind
BenWL
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by BenWL »

Thanks Iain.

Some great advertising there because I had no idea that Guinness were responsible...!

That said, if the clock has the ability to countdown why not use it. I don't imagine it is controlled from Dublin, it will be switched on by a Tigers employee.

If there are any Guinness markings on it then blank them out, it can't be any more ridiculous than covering up all the Everards signs around the ground.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

My understanding is that competition rules also dictate. The clocks are supplied to all Premiership teams, not all Heineken Cup teams. As such, as not all clubs have them, no team can have an unfair advantage by being able to see a countdown clock.

I agree though, being able to see a countdown clock for ALL games would be useful.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

If you watch the Heineken Cup on Sky, the clock runs continuously and goes into extra time.

The clock is not stopped at every break in play, unlike the Guinness and EDF matches.
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

The players did know how long was left (as did everyone with reflink) as the referee kept asking for constant timechecks from the timekeeperfor the last 10 minutes or so.

As the last scrum was set (for the first time) all players were told that there was 1 min & 10 seconds left to play.
BenWL
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by BenWL »

Tigerbeat wrote:If you watch the Heineken Cup on Sky, the clock runs continuously and goes into extra time.

The clock is not stopped at every break in play, unlike the Guinness and EDF matches.

Why...? Shouldn't it all be the same...? :smt017
masopa
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by masopa »

BenWL wrote:
Tigerbeat wrote:If you watch the Heineken Cup on Sky, the clock runs continuously and goes into extra time.

Why...? Shouldn't it all be the same...? :smt017
I must admit, I get a bit confused as to why it isn't. I mean I don't mind if across the board it's done the "old" way of running the clock constantly and playing injury time, but it does seem confusing as to why it's only certain matches which have privileged access to the timekeeper's clock.

Bizarre!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The countdown clocks have been installed at the grounds for use in the Guiness and domestic cup competitions.

When the Heineken Cup is being played, the Guinness advertismnet boards are covered so as not to advertise.