Mc Allister vs Mauger

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

alec
Top Cat
Top Cat

Mc Allister vs Mauger

Post by alec »

We have got sale this friday, and IF Mauger is playing what a interesting one it will be....!!!!
cooke-1
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by cooke-1 »

hav to admit that mcalister is probably the better player and more exciting.
however, mauger adds experience, composure and great hands
so a true battle!
murphy15
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by murphy15 »

I'm a big fan of Mauger - he can pick such a good line through the centre and has a brilliant kicking game... but... McAlister is awesome, and better in all the areas that Mauger excels, AND he's stronger. No competition I reckon :(
Ka mate, ka mate! Ka ora! ka ora!
Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!
Tçnei te tangata pûhuruhuru
Nâna nei i tiki mai whakawhiti te râ
A upa ... ne! ka upa ... ne!
A upane kaupane whiti te ra!
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

Have to say I disagree, they are fairly different players. McCallister has a greater ability to break the line because of his size and power, and will make the hard yards. Mauger's gift is his awareness of space and his tactical kicking, which is superior to McCallisters. Both of them have great distrubtion skills, although I'd say Mauger is leaning more towards playmaker and McCallister more towards runner, but thats not say Mauger won't make breaks and McCallister won't spank a ball 40metres into touch occassionally. Very evenly matched players.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
A.J.P.
Tiger Cub

Post by A.J.P. »

I heard it said by someone who knows more than I do, that Mauger's real strength is the havoc he wreaks around him. You don't notice it much at the time, but apparently if you watch the replays and really look out for him he's causing all sorts of confusion in the opposition back line. Not sure how this works in practice (the fact that I haven't noticed this either proves the point or totally disproves it, it's a difficult one to work out).
Cockney tiger

Post by Cockney tiger »

At the moment Mcallister seem's like the cherry on the cake for an exciting Sale back line. However we are really hoping Mauger is going to transform our back line as at the moment under the current half backs our backs are just not clicking.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

murphy15 wrote:I'm a big fan of Mauger - he can pick such a good line through the centre and has a brilliant kicking game... but... McAlister is awesome, and better in all the areas that Mauger excels, AND he's stronger. No competition I reckon :(
New Zealand would probably have beaten France had Mauger been playing.
brooksey101

Post by brooksey101 »

A.J.P. wrote:I heard it said by someone who knows more than I do, that Mauger's real strength is the havoc he wreaks around him. You don't notice it much at the time, but apparently if you watch the replays and really look out for him he's causing all sorts of confusion in the opposition back line. Not sure how this works in practice (the fact that I haven't noticed this either proves the point or totally disproves it, it's a difficult one to work out).
i think what is ment that he gives the spaces for others he reads the game well. its not what he does it is how he does it. how he puts others in the holes.
will be good to see mauger v macca a very good battle.
:D TiGeRs RuLe!!!!:D
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Both excellent players but I suppose this thread isn't about sitting on the fence...

From my time in New Zealand spent avidly watching the NPC and the Super 12 a few seasons back I would say that Mauger is the more complete and composed player. McAllister just doesn't direct a backline like Mauger does.
Bud
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bud »

And this backline could really do with some directing!
Ed