No standing in the redeveloped stadium?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

APM16

No standing in the redeveloped stadium?

Post by APM16 »

Various sources including the BBC news report refer to a '30,000-seat capacity' for the redevelopment at Welford Road.

In the original plans, the lower tier of the redeveloped Next Stand included a terrace - this is not the case in the latest press release.

Can someone confirm that the club are not trying to remove the terrace quietly (as the ground is redeveloped)?

Northampton have already followed this route, and Gloucester tried to demolish the Shed (only fan power made the think again).

As a Crumbie Terrace season Ticket holder, I stand by choice (as do most people). If I wished to sit I would buy a season ticket in one of the seating areas.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

One assumes that the the terrace will remain on the Crumbie side and will be incorporated into that stand whenever that becomes re developed.

But you are quite correct about the sitting and standing debate - I for one would not renew my season ticket if I have to sit. It's bad enough when we go away or have to go elsewhere. I cannot bear being told to sit down all the time or even not to make to much noise by the people who have got confused and thought the had come to the library for the afternoon. I certainly would be in the Vanguard of any "Fan power" aimed at retaining my beloved square of concrete step.
ian23
Tiger Cub

Post by ian23 »

Both Peter Tom and David Clayton, in reponse to this very question, have confirmed to the supporters forum that terracing will be an integral part of any redevelopment.
Crumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crumby »

Terrace will stay in same ground position as now apparently. :smt004 - no need for sunglasses :smt005
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

No standing in the ...

Post by MurphysLaw »

Can someone please enlighten me as to why it has been necessary to "relaunch" the ground redeveloment?
This was done last year, with planning permission and expensive architects model etc. The costs of this exercise are substantial, and I think, took a big chunck out of the profit in the last financial year.

Anyone any ideas on this?
Bruce Hornby-Trainset

Post by Bruce Hornby-Trainset »

What are you squeaking about Mighty Mouse????

Where did the "keep the noise down" slant come from? Sounds like a Daily Mail rant. Next one will probably be "Standing Terrace reserved for Asylum Seekers and Paedophiles".

Plenty of noise around my SEAT in the Members Stand!!

Speaking on behaf of the vertically challenged sect, I treasure the ability to actually see the whole game so I won't shed crocodile tears if we lost the terrace. Key issue here is that the ground doesn't end up like a Crisp Bowl look-a-like - which would be a major disaster for the atmosphere. Didn't Toms talk about maintaining the closeness of the fans to the pitch? Now that is important
This year I'm on the Whisky diet. It really works - last week I lost three days!
Tigercastben

Post by Tigercastben »

Bruce,

Spoken like a true seated person! I respect your right to sit so you should respect my right and that of other's who've been going to tigers for generations to stand. It's not just the noise that is generated from standing fans (always greater, check out wendyball stadiums since they went all seater) it is the chance to mix , mingle and have great banter that just doesn't happen in seated areas. I wouldn't swap anything for the atmosphere on the crumbie during games such as munster in the rain last season. As a side note , i would also give up my season ticket if no standing was available.
Please visit us at http://tigerscast.net
Bruce Hornby-Trainset

A better justification than noise suppression, Tigercastben. I don't doubt they will keep the terraces, but I really do like watching the game, not the back of a retired lock's neck.

I think we should try to influence the design of the new stadium. I have two innovations in mind:

1. Because the wooden bits will presumably disappear, every seat should be fitted with a police riot shield and a baton to bang it with (just imagine you are Michael Caine in Zulu and you'll get the idea)

2. Every seat to be fitted with "Fan-link" so that we can tell Tony Spreadbury directly why we are a tad puzzled at some of his decisions

Any other suggestions?
This year I'm on the Whisky diet. It really works - last week I lost three days!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Dear Sirs ........no sorry, sorry wait a minute.....

Bruce - inspite of your mildly insulting tone regarding the squeak ( FYI -this mouse has a "mighty" roar)
- and your grossly insulting accusation of being a Daily Mail ranter (.......ranter maybe, Daily Mail definately not..)

I have to agree with your 2 points - riot sheilds to batter - great idea - 1 way ref link but going the other way even better idea.

Re standing - simple solution to vertical challenge in our area of terrace - sorts itself out in very amicable way. Children at the front, women next (unless ex women lock forwards) Ex Scrum halfs,hookers and Short a..e props like me next and Ex locks and back row where the belong at the back against the rail.

Re noise - not blaming all sitting crowd but it has been metioned here before that there are certain elemnents who complain when you shout bang a drum, stand up have a pint, eat etc etc etc

...............Yours very rantingly

Livid of Leicester
Bruce Hornby-Trainset

Mighty Mouse, you organised ranks idea is interesting. Let me think...so....I wouldn't be able to stand next to 'er indoors....

Does this mean I could sneak off for a half-time pint without her knowing? Perhaps there's something in this standing lark after all.
boondock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: No standing in the redeveloped stadium?

Post by boondock »

APM16 wrote: Northampton have already followed this route, and Gloucester tried to demolish the Shed (only fan power made the think again).

size]
saints havent lost the terrace at all. i'm pretty sure of this as its where my season ticket is !

its true they took off the corrugated tin roof, added a new gradient to improve sightlines as well as several thousand new seats behind, bars, toilets, hospitality boxes etc but hey, thats progress :smt023
"I don't recall Boondock posting inflammatory comments on here. I can see nothing wrong with him, except for him being a Saint..." westy154 18/03/08
ALECW

Post by ALECW »

I think you will find that they are going to keep a standing terrace of some sort.At all the forum meetings where the ground re-development has been mentioned the club officials have always put a strong emphasis on keeping a standing terrace.You can't at this stage say too much in public because of cofidential dealings on the business side.I speak to Peter Tom just about as often as any ordinary supporter can and i find him generally more honest friendly and open than he is given credit for.The board at this club are well aware of the fans feelings and are more open than most other sports clubs.Sometimes things are not as clear cut as they seem. Remember a couple of seasons ago there was an almighty row about the no. of Fri. night games and i was very much against them.Then it was explained how much sky t.v. paid for this, which took the sting out of it a bit.It isn't perfect but then what is.
USED TO BE WESTMIDS ALEC
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Bruce - you need to get you life better organised chap.
You stand with mates in terrace having a beer chatting shouting - bantering with the opposition and have a general good laugh.

Mrs Hornby- Trainset and any little Hornby- trainsets in stand - to be met in bar afterwards in time for trip home.

I hastely add this is the option that Mrs. Mightymouse has opted for and in no way imply that the terrace is not a right and proper place for women or children or any other variety of the species I may have forgotton..............Whew think I may have got away with that one
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

Dont take this the wrong way, but we could learn a thing or two from Northampton - GROUND WISE!!!
The last time I visited was just after the ground was finished & we stood!!
Also before - during - after we made use of a fantastic large(nearly pitch lenght) room in the stand with nothing in it except for toilets & bars a brillantly simple idea. Plenty of room for everyone to mingle & chat something we should be looking at when the plans for terrace are drawn up!!! :smt024
Keep standing areas in the new stadium!!
Shogun
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Shogun »

The board have repeatedly said that there will be a terraced area. While I don't agree with a number of things that the board do, I do feel that they do what ever they think is best for the club and the supporters. I have total confidence in the straight forwardness of messers Tom and Clayton.

Just one suggestion, if we ever did go to an all seated ground. Could we please put in the type of seats that you get on a fair ground ride.

You take your seat before the game starts.
A bar then comes down over your legs.
Bar is not released until half and full time.

Why do some people pay for a seat then spend half the time walking about or just standing up for no reason?

BTW: Yes I do stand, and get to the ground early to get a good viewing point.