Tiger Cub

Tigers set to expand stadium

Post by littlefeat »

I'm the Tiger cub on the 22 opposite the library
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

The terrace won't be changed for some years yet as they are starting with the Members stand & then building a permanent stand at the clubhouse end next I believe.

The rebuilding of the Crumbie wouldn't happen until after those two stands had been completed.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Is there any more information available anywhere? I caught a bit on BBC East Midlands Today last night where they mentioned 3 stands and 30,000 capacity. I appreciate that until they get planning permission, there is no point going into a lot of details, but an outline of what is hoped for would be nice... and it would cut down on the rumour mill :smt005
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

If they announce something though, it will stop the wild speculation that we all find so enjoyable on here. :smt002

I heard that they are putting a roof on the new stadium that will be made entirely out of gold.
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

I heard that too westy. And that the artificial turf will be alternate white and green with the markings in red!
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

westy154 wrote:I heard that they are putting a roof on the new stadium that will be made entirely out of gold.

Not true westy, though the rumour about the new Members stand being built entirely out of crushed unicorn horn is, I believe, based in fact.
pogue3
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pogue3 »

i thought they released the plans about a year ago. remember seeing the pics in the mercury i think. didnt think it was new news yesterday. i always thought it was going ahead at the end of the season anyway. im sure the article said that the planning had been approved. oh well. they say the next staand will be open for 09/10 season. what happens in the mean time? do we have a lesser capacity for a season?
Sherpa2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sherpa2 »

Bill W wrote:I heard that too westy. And that the artificial turf will be alternate white and green with the markings in red!
That should make the forward passes easier to spot then :smt001
I used to be indecisive now I just can't make up my mind
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

The terrace won't be changed for some years yet as they are starting with the Members stand & then building a permanent stand at the clubhouse end next I believe.

If they are sensible, they will build a new stand behind the current Next stand, and then replace the old one with the terrace (possibly only temporary). In that way they stand a good chance of housing all the season ticket holders whilst rebuilding takes place.
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

Pete wrote:If they are sensible, they will build a new stand behind the current Next stand, and then replace the old one with the terrace (possibly only temporary). In that way they stand a good chance of housing all the season ticket holders whilst rebuilding takes place.

What I unsderstand they are doing is doing all of the rebuilding during the close-season & therefore there won't be any impact on ST holders during either season. They won't be putting a terrace on the new stand (even temporarily) due to the extra expense & knock-on delays that would happen from a subsequent refit to add in the seats.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Does that mean therefore that the stand is built in sections so that is operational in the meantime ?

For example ; next close season will the knock down the old stand and build half a stand that can incorporate the same number of people as the old one.(maybe with a temporary roof) Then in close season beginning May 09 finish the stand off by putting a second teir and a permenant roof on?

If this is the case it seems a remarkable feat of engineering and project management

Given that it will only be about 12 weeks each time available (24 weeks in total )and that wembley and olympics type builders need about 5 years solid to build a staidium with no interuptions and that my builders took more than 12 weeks to do a poxy loft conversion and extension. It all seems quite remarkable - I would indeed be interested in the detail and the telephone number of the builders in case I have any future projects!!
boondock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boondock »

development at the saints ground was completed almost entirely in two summer breaks. the exception was the south stand where the additional level of seating was not available for the first 3 home games of the 2005 / 6 season (so there wasnt an actual reduction in capacity, it was just that some of the new stuff wasnt available).

for the pedants, i am talking about the stadium itself not the car parking.

rebuilding was pretty painless at the gardens , so if it hasnt happened already, i suggest someone at tigers rings someone at saints and asks if they can recommend a good builder :smt002
"I don't recall Boondock posting inflammatory comments on here. I can see nothing wrong with him, except for him being a Saint..." westy154 18/03/08
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ground Redevelopment

Post by MurphysLaw »

I'm with Pogue3 on this -I thought planning permission for a phased redevelopment (starting with the Next Stand) was granted about a year ago after the Club had bought the freehold from the City Council.
Unless there has been yet another change of scheme, or they just need permission for reserved matters I am confused :smt017
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

MM, as I understood it (and this was a few months ago so plans may have changed since), the idea was to build the whole of the new next stand seating area in the close season so that it was up to 10,000 capacity & ready for use by the start of the following season.

The associated conference/hospitality/office/shop etc space would then be fitted out during the season.

Because of the nature of the stand design, I think the foundations/footings of the larger stand could be built before the end of the season to get a head-start.

Saints managed to build the whole of their Tetleys Stand in one close season I think. They also did the same with their Church's/Lake Stands in a close season & phase 2 of the Lake Stand (ie the upper tier) was added in the close season after.

The idea at Tigers was certainly to raise the Next stand capacity to 10,000 in the single close season and not to do it in stages over two years.

This may no longer be the current projection though.
Mr_Ben
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr_Ben »

The Peter Tom video interview on the BBC website - (click on the one with Loffreda and it's available as a related one) covers a lot of this.

As Dave Angel said it seems that the plan is for the new next stand to be built over 2 summers with all of the seating in place for next season(2008/9)

I don't see why this isn't feasible - the A&L Stand was built in a summer, and it's not as if we've not had time to work out the plans with a builder