Flags as hand luggage on Ryanair

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Flags as hand luggage on Ryanair

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Has anybody taken a Tigers flag as hand luggage on Ryanair? I have got one, with a wooden handle about 2.5 feet long. We are only going to Dublin for the day so do not have any luggage for the hold and want to know if it will be deemed 'dangerous'.
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

You may be able to get it on the plane if you get friendly staff but my guess would be no.
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

Our approach is tpo replace the wooden stick with a collapsible tent pole that fits in the suitcase and even the Boss's large shoulder bag she takes to matches.
Jez

Only Winners Win!
stevetelcom2000
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stevetelcom2000 »

Why not take the flag without the pole, then buy something to wave it on in Dublin. Talking of flags, The Bakers Arms in Blaby would appreciate anyone who has an old Tigers flag that they can use to decorate one of the mini buses they are taking over to Dublin. They have the 'Tigers on tour' bus the 2nd one will look kinda bare. Any flags will need to be old as the will take some battering on the outside of the bus. They are going Thurs evening.
Le Tigre Francais
Tiger Cub

Post by Le Tigre Francais »

Be carefull with Ryanair. My wife travels regually with them and made the mistake of buying a newspaper before she passed through the check in / luggage check, and was told only 1 piece of hand luggage was allowed and her paper meant she had 2 piece's.

Anything you buy after you are through and into the departure is alright. If you can get it inside a case its O.K.

Have you thought about using a walking stick for your bad hip!. You use it for medical reasons dont you. Must remember to limp when walking away from the scanner and when they ask you to remove your shoes, remember to ask someone to help you.

BEWARE THE JOBSWORTHS :smt023
"Nils desperandum Illegitimi et carburundum"
Northern Tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Northern Tiger »

Its no so much Ryanair but the security check in. I got mine to Limerick last year but I had to argue a bit and ask them to check with the supervisor when they originally said no. Interestingly I had no trouble on the way back.

Mine is out and ready to go. if I am not allowerd I will just buy a bit a dowling in Dublin.
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

the stick will definitely be taken from you and also if you are in a party of two ensure that you take two bags, they do not like their passengers sharing bags, trust me we were with friends last year when we went to limerick and this happened.
Life was like a box of chocolates - until I ate them! :smt061
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

I have asked the question of #2 son who is an airport emplyoyee.

1. The flagpole is too long to be classed as hand baggage;

2. It could be considered a "pointed object" and therefore a security risk;

3. There is no requirement for each passenger to have a bag. However, if sharing a bag, a sensible answer has to be given to "did you pack this bag yourself?".

These rulings apply to departures from UK airports only. Different regulations apply to other airports.
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

bill ryanair stated that the weight of luggage was per person and when sharing a case they would not divide the weight. My friend Annette had to take her stuff out of her husband's case and borrow a bag from another friend, it was a complete nightmare.
Life was like a box of chocolates - until I ate them! :smt061
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Sam says that is the particular check in operator being awkward and difficult. Ain't any no such regulation - they are trying to get the bag checked into the hold for which you have to pay!!

Fly from Stansted - he would let it through!! Although he doesn't normally do Ryanair - only when they have staffing problems. Routinely he is Easyjet!!
Northern Tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Northern Tiger »

For those of you flying with ryainir you can check in online. I already have and just now need to get my flag past the security check.
Goffer3404
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goffer3404 »

To be fair to Ryan Air, Easy Jet etc., they do give quite detailed information about what can and can't be taken through and stipulate the luggage thing. Makes me laugh when you look at the check in people messing about moving things from bag to bag. Learn to read the information you get and don't blame the people at the check in. They're not jobsworth, they want to keep their jobs.

I have no connection with any low-cost airline. Just get fed up waiting in the check in line as people want a cheap flight and take the kitchen sink. Check the schedule flights, in some cases they are now cheaper!!!!!
Rant over
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Goffer. Sam (#2 son) says "Thank you!"