Peace in our time !

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hairy Egg
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Hairy Egg »

kornboy130 wrote:i'll be paying for a season ticket next year as its likely the last one i'll get before i go to university. I don't care what team i see put out - i don't go for the star-studded names or the international players, i go because they are MY team and i'll support them whatever.
Spot on :smt023
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Peace in Our Time

Post by voice of the crumbie »

One thing to bear in mind is this is a BBC article and will therefore contain their spin on whatever document has been signed. Before we get too worried lets wait until the text of the document has been issued either by RFU or Premier Rugby. Then we will know exatly what has been agreed re player release / control etc

Whilst I prefer to see our big names as often as I can I still want to get behind the team whoever plays. If we don't turn up to support the Cranes, Abrahams, Youngs, Matt Smith's of this world is it likley they will turn into the Corrys, Geordans, Healeys etc of the future?
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
tigerstotty
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerstotty »

I agree about supporting the team whatever, VOTC, but what happens when we have our "star studded/internationals" unavailable, have injury worries, and have trouble selecting a competitive team? I don't think the fans want to see a development team running out against a first choice premiership team. And I know you might say, all the teams are in the same boat - but they're not are they? Tigers will be providing the forwards, as usual, and probably our best two back players.

Comes down to a debate I have enjoyed over many a pint after games (actually thats not true - I drink vodka :smt002 ), club or country?
mrsmoody
Super User
Super User

Post by mrsmoody »

club definately!! as great as it is for them to have come to an agreement, how they can possibly take the players for 3-4 months of the season. i'm sure success is more important to clubs than the money, and from the success they cant get money that they actualy earnt.

I wonder what the players make of this...I'm sure the likes of Corry don't want to sit at home in the '11 week rest period' whilst the rest of the guys are battling it out in the premiership/ HC...
Kellogs frosties, brings out the tiger in you!

http://Hannah-Fantastic.bebo.com
Jose
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jose »

Am sure it is a misprint re December. If available to clubs at 1 September, then that is 11 weeks after 16 June. Hence tour weekends 2, 9, 16 June. Not impinging on end of season playoffs and Heineken. Then, 3 or 4 Autumn internationals, plus a week off at some point in preceding couple of months. None of our England players ever plays every game from September to November anyway. Then the 6N, again each player will have to have at least 1 week off in Nov/Dec, but that is consistent with what Tigers already do. Then, the difference, which is no England players in 2 weekends off during 6N. Then same again through to end of season, with the obligation not to play players every week, which is consistent with what we do anyway. The reality is that rugby players can't play every week because the game is too hard. Don't think this is a bad deal so long as the salary cap issues are addressed. As one of the other posts points out would be hard to say what our first team actually is as we have about 20 international standard players in our squad now, plus another 10 coming through to international standard at any point in time. I think it sounds like a reasonable deal and allows the clubs some stability to develop the game.
Joe The Tigers Fan
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

My understanding is that Thomas's comments arose from questions on Player Burnout following the report that England players are two the three times more likely to suffer Burnout than All Blacks.

The intention is that the Elite England Squad of 32 Players will go on tour every other summer and not be involved in Autumn Internationals other than in 2008.

Hence Thomas speaking of 5 year plan and 1st December (in years of England Tours).

I have no information on how Rob is going to manage with a squad of only 32 players and what call up provisions are for "minor" Internationals.
pogue3
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pogue3 »

i very much doubt tigers signed up to anything that would mean they wouldnt have their england players playing in the hein cup. the rules are set, so lets get on with it and deal with it. I'm remaining positive as we have a brilliant squad and can see it getting better over next couple of seasons.
corry might not be picked again for england and white has already hung up his boots. i think we have the resources to fill their boots anyway.
waster
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by waster »

westy154 wrote:
kornboy130 wrote:i'll be paying for a season ticket next year as its likely the last one i'll get before i go to university. I don't care what team i see put out - i don't go for the star-studded names or the international players, i go because they are MY team and i'll support them whatever.

Good attitude.
Not bad but a real fan would go to Leicester Uni or De Montfort Uni (purhaps Loughborough at a stretch) then take advantage of the Student Discounted prices for a season ticket and drag all their mates from Uni along introducing them to the great game???? :smt001
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

But those places do not have quite the status of Oxbridge!!!
waster
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by waster »

Quite true and there are the Varsity matches!!! so Oxbridge might but acceptable.
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

England players are two or three times more likely to suffer Burnout than All Blacks

If this is true, how come All Blacks are rarely over 30, and England internationals are rarely under 30?
(A little bit of poetic license here! :smt002 )

Perhaps 'burnout' means the English are 'on fire', especially in World Cup quarter and semi-finals!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

All down to central contracts Pete.

And all that seismic plate action in NZ.

:smt006
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Insofar as I can gather none of the papers are mentioning this tomorrow (today)!

Sounds like just another RFU **** up!!!
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Bill W wrote:Insofar as I can gather none of the papers are mentioning this tomorrow (today)!

Sounds like just another RFU f*ck up!!!
Nothing in the Times, Telegraph or Guardian (that I can see).

Nothing on either the RFU or GP sites (again, that I can see).

Maybe Martyn Thomas was just a teensy, weensy premature in his 'announcement'? Excitable chap.
Trout 63
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trout 63 »

Martyn Thomas isn't trying to sell a book as well, is he? :smt002