Front Row substitutes

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Front Row substitutes

Post by Tigerbeat »

this season we have seen 2 out of 3 matches with uncontested scrumms.

The regulations state that each team must include 2 Front row players amongst the subs.

It could be 2 props or 1 prop, 1 hooker.

Tigers only had one prop on the bench so when both props went off injured, it had to go to uncontested.

Mike Ruddock said after the game that the IRB should look at expanding the subs to eight and each team should have 2 props and a hooker. This would reduce the number of matches where scrums go uncontested.

Any thoughts?
Duggan

Post by Duggan »

In my opinion seven is enough. Just make sure you have the front row requirements on the bench. It's the same for all teams afterall.
Leicester, born, bred and proud of it.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Mr. Moderator Sir,

Uncontested scrums are a blight on our beautiful game - a travesty of all that is just and honourable.

All teams at all times should be capable of fieldibng a front row. Else they sacrifice the game. Do not increase the bench size though - just llow substutes (for front3) not on the bench.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Bill - I agree that it is a travesty and any solutions that could remove it is very welcome.

By increasing the bench to eight the regulations will state that 3 front row players will have to be included.

This would be the same for all teams. It would be interesting to know how many other games in the Guiness have been affected by uncontested scrums.

I believe that it would be better for the game. Perhaps it will be discussed soon.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

I do not disagree. But "the bench" to me is also a anathema as a means of introucing "impact players" and "fresh legs". If a front row goes off injured by all means bring on a replacement - injured - dead or dying. else let the b*gger suffer!!!
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Re: Front Row substitutes

Post by Dave Angel »

Tigerbeat wrote:this season we have seen 2 out of 3 matches with uncontested scrumms.

The regulations state that each team must include 2 Front row players amongst the subs.

It could be 2 props or 1 prop, 1 hooker.

Tigers only had one prop on the bench so when both props went off injured, it had to go to uncontested.

Mike Ruddock said after the game that the IRB should look at expanding the subs to eight and each team should have 2 props and a hooker. This would reduce the number of matches where scrums go uncontested.

Any thoughts?

Tigerbeat, the regulations don't quite say what you claim. They say that there must be sufficient cover for the first prop injury and the first hooker injury. Therefore if a bench includes 2 props, there must be adequate cover for a hooker injury already on the field. Teams are not required to cover for a second injury to a hooker or a prop as that level of cover would be disproportionately high on a bench of 7 subs (especially as you'd still have to cover for a 2nd injury to a prop on the same side as the first, as well as covering for an injury to the opposite side of the scrum).

The regulations also say that you can't replace all three of the front row unless the third replacement is due to injury rather than tactical.

Personally I believe the level of front row cover on the bench is adequate as it is. OK, it has led to uncontested scrums during both of the last two Tigers home games but how often does it normally happen in a season?

I don't see why increasing the number of front row suvbs to three would significantly help. What if the 2 injuries were both hookers for example? Having an extra prop wouldn't help!

What if both injuries were tightheads & the "new" 2nd prop replacement you have added was a loosehead?

The number of times it would be advantageous having 3 front row subs (to stop uncontested scrums) would be outweighed by the number of times a side would be able to replace their tired front row en masse and thus negate the effort & hard work that the opposition would have put in wearing them down for 60 odd minutes!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Perhaps we should go back to "the old days" when a doctor had to certify injury for a substitution!!
noakesdoc

Post by noakesdoc »

The doctor did certify both Stanchy and castro were injured as I saw the doctor go on the pitch and in the case of stanchy almost drag him off so keen was he to stay on.Afterwards in the dug out the doc was shaking his head to i think say to him you arn't going back on.