Hipkiss and Tait

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

A_Magna_Malc

Dan Hipkiss or Ollie outside of Mauger

Post by A_Magna_Malc »

Ollie Smith - coming back to his best - just waiting for an inside centre who can use his skills (Matt Cornwell and Sam Vesty are clearly filling another's boots). Ollie has the experience that Dan has yet to gain. Tigers fans became frustrated at Dan's limited distribution skills but admired his ability to stand up and wait for support. Loffreda may see Ollie as the class act here.
stripey6

Post by stripey6 »

i see hipkiss as a bit of a tindall like player--stays on his feet ,gives a good focus for his forwards to drive off from, but tait is the better all round footballer.i also think tait was unfortunate to get pinged after slipping over because francois steyn went straight in off his feet and wrapped him up.refs are always gonna penalise the "isolated" defender.
"give me fuel give me fire give me that which i desire"
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

"Fair play, leaving aside his early howler Tait had a fine game"

Even that mistake wasn't so bad - not much he could do about slipping over, and it needn't have cost 3 points as Steyn and his support all went off their feet and should have been penalised themselves.

Another ref in exactly the same situation would have given the penalty to England and we'd have been talking about Steyn's inexperience in diving off his feet and giving away a good position.
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

I'm actually quite suprised at the support that Tait has received on this thread. To be perfectly honest I thought the majority would have been lauding Danny's performance and picking holes in Tait's.

Given the existing level of competition these 2 have enjoyed, plus throw in the undoubted potential of the likes of Allen and Flood, and suddenly England's "problem" midfield has quite a rosy future, assuming they can all gel and find the required toughness.
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
creos

Post by creos »

Could be that hipkiss was trying to follow a BA gameplan that didn't play to his strengths. Personally I like seeing hipkiss play because he links up with the pack nearer to mauls etc whereas tait has been standing further back for a long pass. Let's hope tait doesn't succomb to the austin healey connundrum... he plays well in so many positions he should be on the bench
boondock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boondock »

westy154 wrote:I'm actually quite suprised at the support that Tait has received on this thread. To be perfectly honest I thought the majority would have been lauding Danny's performance and picking holes in Tait's.

Given the existing level of competition these 2 have enjoyed, plus throw in the undoubted potential of the likes of Allen and Flood, and suddenly England's "problem" midfield has quite a rosy future, assuming they can all gel and find the required toughness.
jon clarke is starting to get back to form at saints too. maybe not this season, but i reckon he'll be pushing for an england place once back in the prem....

praising tait doesnt have to mean criticising hipkiss. both good players.
"I don't recall Boondock posting inflammatory comments on here. I can see nothing wrong with him, except for him being a Saint..." westy154 18/03/08
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

boondock wrote:praising tait doesnt have to mean criticising hipkiss. both good players.
No I know it doesn't, and I wasn't honestly insinuating that. But I did expect there to be more opinions that Hipkiss played better than Tait.
John
---
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

I felt that prior to the RWC final, Tait had been reasonably solid in defence, but had not show much in attack, partly down to not getting the right chances, whereas Dan had brought something different in style and closer to what I expect from a centre.

In the final however, I felt they both played well in defence and attack and there was lttle to choose between them.

Taking a sideways step, I am sure that I read Eddie Jones saying that Newcastle should be asked to play Tait at Full Back for the next 4 years. Given the injury to Matt Burke, who knows?
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Tait's performances improved throughout the world cup because he was given a continued run in the team in the same position.

I feel he is best suited to 13 with the ability, if needed, to play 15 or wing. But 13 is his position.

IMO.
John
---