England v France

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Outlander
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Outlander »

I can't QUITE get myself to believe.

Oh, it's possible. Almost likely. If we won, I would not be shocked or even startled.

In fact, I think we have a respectable, 35-65% chance of winning. If it were a 3 game series, I would think we would win at least once.

But it's not a 3 game series. It's one game. Winner take all.

And I think ENG is required to raise its game several levels above its normal cruising gear to be able to win. That's possible, but extremely difficult, and it would be two weeks in a row. It's almost hard to IMAGINE the improvement since the SA game necessary to win this semi-final.

Meanwhile, FRA are quite simply a more accomplished team. They have more bullets in their gun. They have played at a much higher level for years now. They are just a better team.

So, I can't quite believe. I think ENG will play nobly, but I don't see us winning this.

I do, however, hope. We've got a shot. A decent one. So let's ruck like hell, lads, and see if we can beat the odds again.
Just a Yankee looker-on from afar.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

agree with Outlander (crikey, agreeing with a yank. must be a bad day)

my heart says we can do it. but my head says we won't quite. hope my heart wins.

have just heard Ben Kay on the radio talking about the game and how they will get any sleep tonight. not sure how I'll get any sleep tonight. but I felt like that four years ago so maybe, just maybe...
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

Outlander wrote:I can't QUITE get myself to believe.

Oh, it's possible. Almost likely. If we won, I would not be shocked or even startled.

In fact, I think we have a respectable, 35-65% chance of winning. If it were a 3 game series, I would think we would win at least once.

But it's not a 3 game series. It's one game. Winner take all.

And I think ENG is required to raise its game several levels above its normal cruising gear to be able to win. That's possible, but extremely difficult, and it would be two weeks in a row. It's almost hard to IMAGINE the improvement since the SA game necessary to win this semi-final.

Meanwhile, FRA are quite simply a more accomplished team. They have more bullets in their gun. They have played at a much higher level for years now. They are just a better team.

So, I can't quite believe. I think ENG will play nobly, but I don't see us winning this.

I do, however, hope. We've got a shot. A decent one. So let's ruck like hell, lads, and see if we can beat the odds again.
Monsieur,

You are-a torturing a poor French fan who already hosts a million butterflies taking a complete tour of his stomach. So my post is : same as you, my friend !!! :smt009

Be serious about your chances and think man to man :
Milloud - Sheridan
Beauxis - Wilko
Traille - Robinson

:smt087 :smt087 :smt087 :smt087

ooooh I won't live till tomorrow...

Can I surrender now ? Can I support Wales ? Or Connacht ? Or Wigan ? (Frankly, they'd be better off playing rugby, isn't it...)

oooooh zis is the torture. When you think the stadium is only 20 away from here... Why don't I just run there and sleep in front of the gates. I mean if it wasn't for the gangs of homies who normally surround the place. I am forgetting the words of the Marseillaise. A hint anyone ?

Ooooooh if France could win !

Or I'll die in shame ! Poverty ? Thanks to the IRB, I already achieved it... :smt012

ALLEZ
LES BLEUS !!!
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

to continue where Bill W left off

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
as modest stillness and humility
but when the blast of war blows in our ears
then imitate the actions of a TIGER
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood
etc etc

go for it!!
:smt038
Outlander
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Outlander »

ZSF, I think we can all relate to each other pretty well. ENG fans and FRA fans can each see the vulnerabilities of their teams and of course the battle between these two teams is great year after year.

I dunno if you will consider this to be torture, mon ami, but I am a bit surprised that you aren't more confident.

But then, you know the French team a lot better than I do. I only see a few Premiership guys like Ibanez and Chabal now and then and a few international matches.

Ah, well, this is sport.

And it's the 4-year timing that creates the excruciating pressure. There is something diabolically brilliant about World Cup formats. If it were every year, it would not be anywhere near as intense.

Here in the US, we know almost nothing of this multi-year pressure. In our sports, we can forever say, "There's always next year." The Olympics come every 4 years, but they are individual efforts. I guess the closest we come to understanding is the Ryder Cup. Amazing how the year off between Ryder Cups turns the screw incredibly.

Incredible what a toll this takes on fans, players, and coaches!
Outlander
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Outlander »

Hey! By the way, ZSF.

I call on you, speaking for your Rugby nation, to make us a deal.

IF you beat ENG tomorrow, ...

You dang well better beat South Africa! Don't be beating NZ and ENG and then failing to knock off the Boks.

Now, if it's Argentina, then may the best team win. I would be happy to accept either result of an ARG/FRA final.

Deal?
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

The savage hordes are coming Ze Stade Fan!!

Allons enfants de la Patrie

Le jour de gloire est arrivé

Contre nous de la tyrannie

L'étendard sanglant est levé

Entendez vous dans les campagnes mugir ces féroces soldats

Ils viennent jusque dans vos bras, égorger vos fils, vos compagnes

Aux armes citoyens!

Formez vos bataillons!

Marchons, marchons, qu'un sang impur abreuve nos sillons
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

Bill W wrote:The savage hordes are coming Ze Stade Fan!!

Allons enfants de la Patrie

Le jour de gloire est arrivé

Contre nous de la tyrannie

Entendez vous dans les campagnes mugir ces féroces soldats

Ils viennent jusque dans vos bras, égorger vos fils, vos compagnes

Aux armes citoyens!

Formez vos bataillons!

Marchons, marchons, qu'un sang impur abreuve nos sillons
Thank you Bill, that helps a great deal...

For those of you who hit too hard on the pre-match pint :

http://tinyurl.com/2wcag9

:smt003

ALLEZ LES BLEUS !!!
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

Bill is that Will Shakes way of saying 'Up the French'?

Sorry ZSF we can be friends again on Sunday!!
Jez

Only Winners Win!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Well he put it rather more eloquently than that, but basically, yes!!!

I shall too remain friends with Ze Stade Fan whether, as is just, right and proper, we stuff the French, or whether there is a gross miscarriage of justice and refereeing disasters and the lucky b*astards scrape a win.
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

Bill Should we start a thread blaming the ref now and then we can decide which team it is on behalf of later?
Jez

Only Winners Win!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Why not? After all the myopic geriatric will miss most if not all of the crooked feeds into the scrums, the blatant off sides, the going over the tops and coming in from the sides not to mention the odd trip and forward pass. Oh and of course the crooked throws into the line out and bringing players down in the air.

Apart from that he should have a good game!
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'
I thought Ellis was injured! :smt001