Maybank, corrupt or incompetent

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Maybank, corrupt or incompetent

Post by Chobbsy »

Gloucester won fair and square yesterday they were the better side by far.

However I have said it before and I will say it again now, Maybank has to be either Corrupt or incompentent and only he can say which.

The penalty try
Geordan being taken out in the air in front of the touch judge and Maybank
Johnne Murphy being taken out in front of both again when he had kicked and was chasing
Castro being tripped by a player lying on the floor at the start of the second half.
I am sure there were more.

When will refs become publically answerable for their performances, if we made as many errors as he did yesterday in our work place what would happen?

I beleive that teams should be able to "cite" a ref after a match be able to raise points like those above to a ref panel after the match to be reviewed if the ref is found to have missed these points he has points against him if he gets a certain amount a season he gets relegated a division.

They can't continue to put in performances like yesterday and get away with it.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Mr_Ben
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr_Ben »

I generally try to avoid making too many comments about referees - they've got a hard job without us all complaining about the slightest thing and if we're not careful we'll end up like roundyball.

However the Penalty Try was an outrage - no previous penalties at the scrum, no warning to tigers about their scrummaging. Granted we were going backwards when Maybank decided to reset the scrum and Glos prob would have got a pushover try before too long but they didn't need Maybank's assistance. Even the Glos fans around me on the terrace thought it was harsh.
Tuilagis_rock

Post by Tuilagis_rock »

I cannot deny that through a game, I do often slag off a referee, but after the game, all is normally forgotten. It must be taken into account that they have a narrow view and they can't be everywhere at once, everyone makes mistakes. However, Maybank was completely ridiculous yesterday, I cannot believe he awarded that penalty try and he was just oblivious to everything.

But the thing that annoyed me most was the little smug smile he obtained when he was booed and when he walked through the tunnel at half time. He was so smug and just looked so pleased with himself. It made me so angry.
Tuilagis rock my world
TigerScrums
Gold Member
Gold Member
Location: Staffordshire - Or more favourably half way up the Crumbie Terrace behind the Tigers bench!!

Post by TigerScrums »

I musnt't vent too much

Safe to say

Totally incompetant - Better standard of referee dwon in division 2
Come on Tigers!!!
Nabuk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nabuk »

Of course if we'd won...........
I RESOLVE TO BE NICER THIS YEAR !
Holness_202
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Holness_202 »

in answer to the original question. maybank was worse than awful as agreed by glos supporters near us
beware the deadly donkey falling slowly from the sky, you may choose the way you live my friend but not the way you die
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Nabuk wrote:
"Of course if we'd won..........."

Maybank would still be a dire Ref, he's getting demoted yet theyet that Prize Clown Small come up, trumpet Barnes (Dreadfull in Cardiff yesterday), yet Spreaders is pushed away, unreal.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

To suggest that Maybank may be corrupt is clearly nonsense; I'm assuming that was put in for dramatic effect.

Whenever we lose the ref is always awful, and there is often a thread on here bemoaning how hopeless he is. As someone who spent all day today reffing at a festival I can tell you its pretty challenging with minis and juniors, let alone at this level. Refs will always make mistakes in such a technical game, but 'corrupt' is OTT. IMO.

There is a fair argument as to whether or not TJ's should be given greater responsibilities, although the danger is that it would just fragment the game more. Any thoughts?
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

1. It is highly unlikely that Maybank is corrupt.

2. Refereeing is difficult

3. Touch Judges should be given more responsibility.
Ben the Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Ben the Tiger »

Maybank is not the best ref in the world but he should have been better that he was yesterday.
Success only comes before work in the dictionary.

"Rugby is a hooligans game played by gentlemen." Winston Churchill
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

dailywaffle wrote:To suggest that Maybank may be corrupt is clearly nonsense; I'm assuming that was put in for dramatic effect.

Whenever we lose the ref is always awful, and there is often a thread on here bemoaning how hopeless he is. As someone who spent all day today reffing at a festival I can tell you its pretty challenging with minis and juniors, let alone at this level. Refs will always make mistakes in such a technical game, but 'corrupt' is OTT. IMO.

There is a fair argument as to whether or not TJ's should be given greater responsibilities, although the danger is that it would just fragment the game more. Any thoughts?
OK if you read my whole rant, I said Glos totally outplayed us in every facet of the game, so if not corrupt then he must be incompetent, thats all I asked
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Maybank presumably applied the letter of the law, which I guess is that if, in the opinion of the Ref a try would have been scored but for the infingement, then he may award a penalty try. I doubt there is anything in the rules about warnings beforehand.
Nabuk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nabuk »

Phil B wrote:Maybank presumably applied the letter of the law, which I guess is that if, in the opinion of the Ref a try would have been scored but for the infingement, then he may award a penalty try. I doubt there is anything in the rules about warnings beforehand.
Exactly.."A penalty try MUST be awarded if the offence prevents a try that would probably otherwise have been scored"

You do NOT need to warn...........
I RESOLVE TO BE NICER THIS YEAR !
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Yep, the ref shoulders a lot of the blame whenever we lose - wrongly - but the penalty try award was absurd and unbelievable. We'll never know if it would have affected the result, probably not because we were so comprehensively outplayed...and Gloucester fully deserved their win.

For Tigers, a dramatic improvement is needed to even get close to Sarries next week.
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Re: Maybank, corrupt or incompetent

Post by Dave Angel »

Some of the points above are valid, but others are not.

For a start, Geordan was not taken out in the air. The Gloucester player stood his ground & Geordan jumped across/into him. He was NOT taken out and therefore no penalty.

For the penalty try, as Nabuk & Phil say, there is NO need for a warning (or penalties) to be given by the ref prior to him awarding a penalty try. He clearly felt that if Tigers hadn't collapsed the scrum then Glaws would have scored a try. Given the way our scrum spent most of the game either going backwards or in circle, Maybank may have had a point! It was not "absurd" and "unbelievable". A judgement call yes, but not "absurd" given the comparable weakness of our pack on the night.

Like the Geordan incident, Johne wasn't taken out either. If it is the incident I remembre, the Gloucester player didn't change his line to take Murphy out & didn't run across him, away from the ball. Murphy simply didn't move to avoid him & was looking for a penalty that he (rightly) didn't get!

I don't remember the Castro chip but if it did happen then the player concerned will be cited as there were enough cameras there to have spotted it.

If you'd had reflink turned on then you'd have known why Maybank was smiling as he walked off at HT. If you didn't then you won't know. It wasn't a "smug" look at all.