At least we get Geordie back

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Angelo
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Angelo »

....and don't forget Castro...he's coming back to Leicester too :smt002 and he's in one piece :smt003
stevetelcom2000
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stevetelcom2000 »

BO'D is GOD wrote: we need staff that can see the potential of irishmen playing in other countries.
Most Irish players who leave Ireland, do so because they are not considered good enough to get gametime for their province in Ireland. By the way, there is nothing new in Countrys prefering home based players. New Zealand do it, and something that is overlooked constantly on this forum, so do England. Whereas Ireland do play players based abroad. If the IRFU use English Clubs such as Tigers to develop players then bring them back. In the same way that Tigers use clubs like Bedford, surely they should be applauded. It is a very one eyed approach to condemn a country for using a system, which is then justified at club level.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

If White's not fit, I'd be tempted to start Castro ahead of young Young against Glaws.

Alex has had more time back with the squad, so I'd like him in the starting line-up, too.

Geordan can have a bit of a break. Johne's been pretty impressive and has added a goal-kikcing option that has proved very useful.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

4071 wrote:

Geordan can have a bit of a break. Johne's been pretty impressive and has added a goal-kikcing option that has proved very useful.

While I am not disagreeing with this, hasn't Geordan had enough of a break already? And doesn't he kick as well?
orla - mumha abú!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by orla - mumha abú! »

steve, i think the main point is that eddie has never been a fan of playing players who are based abroad. geordan lost out on many occasions for this reason. and trevor brennan ALWAYS lost out for this reason. reddan is one of the few recent exceptions to the rule.
to the brave and faithful nothing is impossible

European Champions 2006!
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

I'd have said Brennan missed out because he gave too many penalties away rather than where he was playing. Watching French Club rugby (albeit with Welsh commentary, I'm sad you know) I'd say that it benefited Brennan because the refs seem a lot laxer (if that's a word!).

He always struck me as a Mick Watson / Garath Archer type player in that he had a reputation with referees and they tended to pick them up for who they were rather than what they did.
orla - mumha abú!
Gold Member
Gold Member

well that would have been a consideration, but quinlan was a favourite of eddies, and he is always giving away penalties and getting sin binned.

European Champions 2006!
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

I think a lot goes on reputation, I bet Neil Back, for instance, gave a lot more penalties away than Watson or Archer but the latter two had a reputation and got pinged for it.

I might have mentioned Mr D.Grewcock of Bath but I think he deserves his reputation, even Ashton (a well known lover of all Bath players) daren't take him to the World Cup.
orla - mumha abú!
Gold Member
Gold Member

i understand what you're saying and you make a lot of sense, but i still think brennan was punished somewhat for playing in france.

European Champions 2006!
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

I confess that I may be anti-Brennan anyway, my little brother was "forced" into retirement by Brennan's re-signing for Barnhall about 5/6 years ago and taking my brother's place in the first team! Big brothers must always look after their little brothers mustn't they!
orla - mumha abú!
Gold Member
Gold Member

ah it all comes out now!! :smt003

European Champions 2006!
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

I have no family ties to justify my tirade about Danny Grewcock though!
orla - mumha abú!
Gold Member
Gold Member

you dont need an excuse there!

European Champions 2006!
stevetelcom2000
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stevetelcom2000 »

orla - mumha abú! wrote:steve, i think the main point is that eddie has never been a fan of playing players who are based abroad. geordan lost out on many occasions for this reason. and trevor brennan ALWAYS lost out for this reason. reddan is one of the few recent exceptions to the rule.
Yes I am aware of the point beig made Orla. My post addressed it, dont forget Easter Bunny as well, he was an exception as well. So all in all Irelands Squad 3 players based abroad, Englands squad none.
Trout 63
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trout 63 »

Steve, have you a suggestion for an Englishman playing abroad who has been overlooked by Shaton?
Either cos he's not quite good enough, or just cos he plays abroad?

errr
:smt017
Alex King maybe?
:smt018
I'm not suggesting Alex King - just can't think of another potential off the top of my head ...
:smt017
Then again England could've done with another flyhalf in the squad ... :smt023

:smt002

But the point is that on Tigers board they'll always be a majority that believe that Geordan should be getting more caps than he is (has done so far).

Whilst your stats maybe correct, I'm really struggling to see where Shaton has not picked someone cos they play abroad, so the comparison is difficult to make. (IMO)

EDIT

Just seen BJ's post. I'd forgotten about Perry Freshwater!!! It was a heavy night last night ...