Top Cat

Post by fremen »

typical just let them
keef
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by keef »

What possible harm could it have caused??....Killjoys
The Future's Bright,The Future's Stripey!
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

How stupid. I take it then if Gavin Henson had been fit to play he would have been banned from doing so because he was advertising Tango. The IRB are really a sad bunch of tosspots who need to get out more.
Last edited by g on Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fremen
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by fremen »

its got to be because they arent offical sponsors
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

:smt022 I was so looking forward to seeing Finau Maka with a green 'fro. Killjoys indeed.
keef
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by keef »

ha ha oh yeah that would have been good!...can you just imagine a big green hairball runnin up the pitch!...
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

keef wrote:What possible harm could it have caused??....Killjoys

What possible harm?

Lost revenue from licencing & sponsorship agreements.

Lost revenue leads to less money available for the IRB to plough back into the global game.

Less money to subsidise travel & facilities for the competing nations at the RWC.

Less money for loss-making tournaments around the world that provide international matches for developing nations & competitive matches against A sides from top-tier countries.

Had they all chosen to die their hair for the fun of it, I expect it would have been allowed. However, they chose to die their hair as a publicity stunt in return for a sum of money from Paddy Power.
keef
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by keef »

yeah....and how much money will the IRB give to the tongans compared to the betting company??
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

keef wrote:yeah....and how much money will the IRB give to the tongans compared to the betting company??

The IRB will almost certainly give more Keith. They only gave Epi Taione around £10k for changing his name to "Paddy Power" for the whole tournament.

And don't forget that Tonga's actions could harm the commercial revenue for ALL IRB/RWC countries, including Samoa, Fiji, Japan, Portugal, Romania etc...yet only Tonga would get money from PP for the green hair.

Everyone would lose out because of the actions of one country.

That's why none of the countries are allowed sponsorship on their shirts, kit etc during the tournament. How would you react if it was one of the larger nations who chose to accept the sponsor's money for the same thing, at the expense of the developing nations?
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

<sigh>
orla - mumha abú!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by orla - mumha abú! »

have to say, i thought it was pretty darn funny.
to the brave and faithful nothing is impossible

European Champions 2006!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Even in my grumpiness I did emit a small giggle!!
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

I'm sure I'm just being very obtuse here; but who would pull out on a sponsorship deal for the RWC, or a future one, or a series of autumn internationals, or anything really, because of a hair-dyeing stunt, albeit one for sponsorship? If they were dyeing "Free bet with Paddy Power - sign up now" into their 'dos, I could understand. But green hair? This looks to me like the sponsorship version of local authority "compensation culture" risk aversion. For "you can't sell home-baked cakes at your village fete unless you have had a full risk assessment", read "you can't dye your hair green unless you've cleared it through the appropriate authorities. What if they just do it anyway? Or only one of them does it?
orla - mumha abú!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by orla - mumha abú! »

good for you grumpy!! :smt003

paddy power got into same kind of trouble with GAA couple of years back. sponsored players to have paddy power written on their hurleys during big games. players got in some strife for it. of course it was cork players... as we were the best team at the time!
to the brave and faithful nothing is impossible

European Champions 2006!