Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Are those statements from Messrs Barwell and Cohen a damage limitation Exercise? They seem very strange considered what went on very recently? At least an agreement has been reached about Ben Cohen leaving but considering Cohen's anger about not being given the captaincy for one thing, the statements that all is now rosy seem a little puzzling. Or there has been some very good mediating from someone.

Who will now buy him?

That is the question!
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

I reckon it will be either Leeds or Bristol he'll go to. Both clubs are struggling and both need decent players and I bet both will make sure that money is no object.
x24jue

Post by x24jue »

Just had email from Saints supporter to say the rumor at Saints is he is coming to us!!!!
LessThanSte
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by LessThanSte »

Exactyl yeh, i was browsing the saints forum and some guy claimed yesterday that he had it on authority from 'high up' that cohen was to leave having bought out his contract and will be heading to Leicester.

Good or bad? Hmm
#48 FTW :)
salcombe bob
Super User
Super User

Post by salcombe bob »

it would mean he doesn't have to move house presumably or disturb family, schools etc. :smt006
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

We don't have enough room in our wage cap for Cohen at the moment. I think the rumours of Tigers all came about from a mis-interpretation of a BBC article a while ago that was referring to the previous time we considered signing him.

My money would be on a move to France, possibly linking up with Steve Thompson.

Incidentally, the "official" version of Cohen's hissy fit is not completely accurate. Cohen & Barwell did have a heated discussion that ultimately led to Ben quitting but I understand that Cohen did not demand the captaincy. The issue of captaincy was raised at the meeting with Barwell but Cohen didn't actually say that it should have been his.
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

But do we really want him? We have enough wingers. He would be keeping someone younger out, and would he accept the authority of the likes of Cozza, let alone Deacs? All said by folks on here before, but worth saying again.

Or is this a wind-up on the Saints board?

As G says, more likely to be Bristol, or Leeds, IMO.
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Which club has got a vacancy at Captain???
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
Oggle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Oggle »

the sky report again links him with us.

wouldnt mind having him, but i can only see him as a back up really- though he can play wing or centre.... I'm really quite torn about this.

but, wouldn't there be a HUGE saints backlash if he came here?
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Like Dave Angel, I also think a move to a French club more likely.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
boondock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boondock »

yep, anytime now there'll be 2 new little cohens in the world.

well,cohen was a great player for saints, best winger in the world for a while imho, still capable of 'doing a job', and its a shame its come to this.

we could also have done without the added distraction this season, but at least this means a substantial wage saving, even a cash boost as he's bought out a year of his contract. leaves room for a couple of younger guys to develop.

glass half full, me. :smt002

obviously tigers will be mentioned elsewhere, and would mean minimal disruption for ben & family. i still dont see it though.
"I don't recall Boondock posting inflammatory comments on here. I can see nothing wrong with him, except for him being a Saint..." westy154 18/03/08
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

I wish the guy well but not with us, sorry I just think our team should be building for the future and not be an oasis for 'over the hill' players...

After seeing Mr Cohen throwing his teddy out the pram and his unprofessional behaviour first hand it's not something I want to have to do every home match.
Life was like a box of chocolates - until I ate them! :smt061