Glaws and Big Les on their way soon

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Glaws and Big Les on their way soon

Post by mightymouse »

In a few weeks Glaws will be here seeking revenge - us without WC players - Them with "Big Les" Vainikola,
who scored 5 on Saturday !!

There is a lot of chat about him on Gloucs site - they seem to think he's the real deal- and who can argue with a startlike that,albeit versus Leeds

Their tails will be up and and coming to get us - Should be fun!!
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

He's also aplying for British Citizenship, so maybe in the England colours in the future.

Lesley Vainikolo is very good, but hopefully we can offer much better resistance to him then Leeds did and Cockers should have a plan.

Stick one of our forwards on to him if the backs can't handle him!!

It will be a tough match but hopefully we can come out with at least a draw. Agree that Gloucester will be tricky with LV.
rufcut

Post by rufcut »

In a few weeks the England contingent and some of the others could quite possibly be back! :smt010 :smt010 But I see your point :smt001 :smt001
adam789

Post by adam789 »

And with Tonga having gone ahead of Samoa in our group, big Alex could well be back as well...
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

The main thrust of the chat on their site is the Les v Alex Clash - I can see their point!
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Looking forward to that, although its likely to be at the Shed.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

All be the fact im hilariously biased... i think Big Les isnt a scratch on alex yet, He's played one full union competitive match against week oposition and his tries wernt ALL self made - id expect Alex to come out on top in any competition, and if he isnt back - then Erinle should be able to hold him off.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Looking forward to the Gloucester challenge...they ran us close at Welford Road last season, without the Volcano and just beat us at Kingsholm.

If I were a Gloucester fan, I'd be pleased that the Volcano erupted in fine style, but I'd also be a bit concerned that Leeds were leading at half-time and also that a team of Leeds' calibre (no offence) scored 29 points !!

They're getting excited about beating Leeds, while Tigers win quietly at the 3rd best team in the country last season with half of our players missing......enough said !!
A_Magna_Malc

Will Alex Tuilagi (and big Jim H or Castro) be back?

Post by A_Magna_Malc »

Seeing how Alex terrorised the Glaws midfield at Twickers in the 06/07 Premiership Final (and I am aware some forum members do not approve of the existence of such a way to end the season, but we remember the game anyway...) and I understand the Samoan national side is bereft of funds, does that mean we may see Alex available as soon as the Glaws match.

Interesting to note that our 4 tries in first two games have all been scored by (different) members of our back three.

Tom and Johnne have started well, Erinle impressed at Bristol (and against Montauban). Matt too new for us (me anyway) to make an assessment.

Also are there specific requirements for resting players who have played WC games or may Jim or Castro (depending who loses on 29th Sept) be back in time to be considered against Glaws too (we may need a prop, but Moreno was visible with the subs and on pitch at end, so I presume he is available)?
SimW

Post by SimW »

I can't see us throwing Alex straight into a game the week after the World Cup (unless he doesn't play in the last game).

Remember for Big Les to make an impact he has to get the ball...!

That said, a losing bonus point would be a good return.
A_Magna_Malc

A LOSING BONUS POINT? Bring back Alex asap

Post by A_Magna_Malc »

Perhaps the response to my posting about big Alex being available for us against Glaws has not been taken seriously by the previous poster (Sim W). TOO MUCH emphasis on the RWC compared to our domestic competition may detract Tigers from being in top 4 this season. I appreciate the PLAYERS want to reach the pinnacle of their playing potential and wish all Tigers internationals well - that reflects on the club at ALL LEVELS (including we posters).
-
Psychologically Glaws will have Alex imprinted in the top 2 inches, which should be used for thinking how to beat us, and not, perhaps, moving out of Alex's way.
-
So, can we have Alex in the team is 2 weeks' time please? Any comments? Let us get at Glaws top 2 inches by showing them all 75 (approximate measure - not got that close) of Alex's physique and reputation.
-
A losing bonus point indeed.... how very dare you!
Last edited by A_Magna_Malc on Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

He's only human......honest! He can't run without his legs and he can't play without the ball!

Did anyone else notice how the Pests (and England) took Alex out of the game by taking him around the legs?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
A_Magna_Malc

Alex is only human - pests & England contained him... GL

Post by A_Magna_Malc »

Thanks for feedback. BUT Glaws were top of domestic league last year - which most of we posters believe is the true measure of success domestically.
-
Tigers exposed Glaw's key weakness, and Glaws will think about that, either positively (if the Alex is not there) or negatively (if he or an equivalent threat is present).
-
If Alex is there, their focus on him will uncover opportunities for Tigers elsewhere - as more overlaps will be created if he is double/ treble marked (or they pretend he isnt there and he runs at the 10/12 slot).
-
Glaws have, arguably, the most talented back division which is why they were the best side over the season 06/07.
-
This is their team for Sarries today: GLOUCESTER (v Saracens, Sunday, September 29 3pm): Iain Balshaw; James Simpson-Daniel, Leon Lloyd, Anthony Allen, Lesley Vainikolo; Ryan Lamb, Mike Prendergast; Nick Wood, Andy Titterrell, Carlos Nieto, Peter Buxton (capt), Alex Brown, Alasdair Strokosch, Andy Hazell, Luke Narraway. Reps: Olivier Azam, Christian Califano, Jonathan Pendlebury, Adam Balding, Dave Lewis, Willie Walker, Olly Morgan.
-
DO I NEED to say more - let us make use of any advantage they may think Tigers have. Good to see Leon too! And Adam Balding fit again - he could stop Alex in his tracks... I am getting intrigued and worried as I analyse this clash.
-
But we need 4 points minimum at home every game. Come on Tigers.
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Apparently this VOLCANO failed to erupt today and went off with a sprained pride.

He was up against better opposition than Leeds this weekend so I don't think they'll be much cause for worry when Glaws come to WR.

In fact the players you need to worry about are the young England "rejects" Lamb, Allen, Morgan, Narraway who scored all of Glaws points.

Can we have these kids in the England team asap please.
scouse tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by scouse tiger »

Actually I believe Vainikolo got some sort of neck injury in the game, and went to hosipital as a precaution. Not heard any other news about him. I wish him well and hope to see him at welford road in two weeks.
My Wild Oats Have turned to Shredded Wheat