Scotland 31-21 Ireland!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

IsraeliTiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scotland 31-21 Ireland!

Post by IsraeliTiger »

Scotland.... just beat Ireland. Not good for Geordan Murphy I assume, but wow. Wonder what the odds on that were? Scotland went over five times, Henderson, the Centre, got three of them.
Kinoulton wrote:Surely that's much more in depth than your average corporate box punter can tolerate. How about "If the entire crowd shut up, you shut up. Otherwise we'll close your bar."
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

Geordan booked his ticket to France, I think - one of Ireland's better players today. What that match showed (apart from the fact that Scotland have some attitude back at last, and should make the RWC quarters at Italy's expense) was that Ireland have very little strength in depth in the pack - they were comprehensively outmuscled until Hayes came on, and their lineout was also all to pot, probably for lack of the best lifters/technicians.

Ireland were well back in it until O'Driscoll went off (precautionary, I think), and that threw the backs out a bit. Paddy W did enough to be a cert as deputy fly-half, probably Trimble made his case too, Carney might make the remaining wing place. The back row did themselves no favours at all.
IsraeliTiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IsraeliTiger »

Its not good that they can't cope without any one player. I admit O'Driscoll is a very good player, but if he is to get injured during the world cup? They can't let his absence affect them. Who are Scotland in the group with again? Aren't Italy with Argentina and France? Or is that Ireland?
Kinoulton wrote:Surely that's much more in depth than your average corporate box punter can tolerate. How about "If the entire crowd shut up, you shut up. Otherwise we'll close your bar."
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

Scotland are in with Italy and the ABs (if their pack performs like today, they'll avoid embarrassment at least) plus Romania and Portugal, I think - Ireland have France and Argentina plus Georgia and Namibia?

Big Jim was pretty solid today - augurs well for Tigers post-RWC.
Tiger Eye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger Eye »

This is just not good enough from Ireland. With literally only days to go to the big games. That display today was unacceptable and with no offence to Scotland intended - but they're not the best team on the scene here. I would have felt a little better if it had've been Australia or France - but Scotland seem to cause the Irish problems at the best of times, even in the last 6N's game, Ireland only beat them by a point after playing so well against England!

I think psychologically the Irish say to themselves 'ah here lads, its only Scotland sure we'll hammer these boys' - and Scotland are well aware of it and are so much more hyped up for the 'overly hyped' Irish.

I think also the fact that most people are tipping Ireland to do so well in this RWC that its starting to eat away at them, its becoming a headache for them. I am fed up of the OTT hype with Ireland - whether its the 6N's or RWC - I think it may be some sort of a jinx to be honest - because they never seem to get very far or deliver that 'magic' that people think they have. Okay, Ireland boasts ome brilliant players - but for their clubs its a different case as usual. Okay Geordie played well but where were the rest of them?

France beat England - but it wasn't embarrassing for the English - England played well, and to be honest I think England are gonna surprise a lot of people in a good way in the WC - I also think Ireland are gonna surprise people - in a bad way.

I know these are warm ups - but they're also very important. If Ireland play that way against France and Argentina then they're gonna get eaten alive - I think its over for them before its even begun. It may sound harsh, but they really cannot afford to fall asleep here, and from what I saw in today's match - they did.
Leinster Heineken Cup champions 2009
Ireland Grand Slam champions 2009

http://sites.google.com/site/ritamarielawlor/
banbury tiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by banbury tiger »

Geordan played well.
Tigers forever ! Tuilagi Rules!!
Get well soon Hazza.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leicester_Tigers
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Gate wrote:Big Jim was pretty solid today - augurs well for Tigers post-RWC.
I only saw the first half, but on the first 40 minutes I agree that Jim looked good. Excellent in the lineout and really putting himself about when hitting the rucks.

The Scottish front 5 really took it to the Irish in the first half.
muttley75
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by muttley75 »

I think the Jock forwards played well today but, lets face it, they put out a massive pack! Now, whether they're strong enough and, more importantly, quick enough, to out-ruck and out-muscle the ABs and (even) Italy is another matter!

I, personally, think that this was a one off game. Yes, the Jock forwards have bulked up a LOT! At what expense? Speed? Don't forget that they put out a massive pack today and the Irish forwards can't really handle a big pack - it's why the Irish won't win the WC!! Unfortunately, really as, other than England, I'd rather the Irish win it - just to shut up the Southern Hemisphere!!
the schizophrenic mutt - tiger or fox, tiger or fox, errrrr!!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=568315524
www.myspace.com/martindurrad
cal
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by cal »

:mr.green: :mr.green: :mr.green: :mr.green:

Very pleased with the first half and the performance of the backs today, if we could string together some backs moves and keep the tempo up then it'd be nice to think we'd make a good game of it in the quaters.

Against the All Blacks i've heard that Scotland will be putting out a second string team to rest players for the game against Italy. Assuming there aren't any intercepts and charge downs in the first 10 minutes we can beat Italy, hopefully even more convincingly with the bigger sized pack.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Ireland, like Munster and the Australians have not taken on board the fact that it is very difficult to win rugby games with an inferior front 3.
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

What I couldn't quite understand was why that front row did so badly - they gave Argentina a good game up front a few weeks ago, after all. I think the second rowers may have been rusty, and having MO'K on and off like a yo-yo can't have helped cohesion. Rory Best is first-choice hooker now for me.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

In truth I did not watch the game that closely since I was eating my hospitality lunch at Twickers at the time and tring to be polite to my daughter's comapany's customers!!

Second row changing and chopping could account for it. But the Scottish front row is hardly world class!!
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

I am now more confident that Scotland can win the World Cup, even Dan Parks made a try!

Got to go, have to go and feed the fairies who live at the end of my garden.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

I just spotted a pig flying over mine!!
BO'D is GOD
Super User
Super User

Post by BO'D is GOD »

if flannery could hit his man more than once in a blue moon it might help.
Irish rugby groupie.
allez les bleus!