england v wales/france empty stadium?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

burly bill mclaren
Gold Member
Gold Member

england v wales/france empty stadium?

Post by burly bill mclaren »

with the run of bad results and the endless squabbles and downgrading of test rugby and sending out 3rd rate teams. is this the start of the slippery slope?
Im amazed to see all priced tickets still available for eng v france at twickers in 5 weeks and wales only cat 3 have sold out. amazing.

is this just a one off situation or is this the start of the devaluing od test rugby and has the true power of the game moved into the hands of the clubs permanently?

can we have both or will the gap grow and will we see yet more top players effectively forced out of international rugby?
H E RICHARDS
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

I don't think the 2003 RWC warm-up game against France was a sell-out until much nearer to the date of the match...and that was with possibly the best Englan side in years, at the very top of their form.

The 2007 games may not sell out but I expect that they will be close to it.
burly bill mclaren
Gold Member
Gold Member

I hope so but being so early doesnt help. can you recall such early tests as Aug 4th? is eng v wal still a big event in england?
H E RICHARDS
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

The warm-up games in 2003 were in late August, but that was because the RWC didn't start until later than this year's event.

As all countries have to name their 30 man RWC squads by mid August (the IRB-imposed deadline) they have little choice but to play the Tests so early in the month if they want to give players one last chance to prove themselves before the cut.
keef
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by keef »

it cost too much to go now! have you seen how much it is to take kids?!!....i cant afford to take my son(and i would love to take him to twickers!) they are pricing out us ordinary fans...but thats just my opinoin!
The Future's Bright,The Future's Stripey!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Re: england v wales/france empty stadium?

Post by Bill W »

burly bill mclaren wrote: is this just a one off situation or is this the start of the devaluing of test rugby and has the true power of the game moved into the hands of the clubs permanently?

can we have both or will the gap grow and will we see yet more top players effectively forced out of international rugby?
First question: True Test Match Rugby (i.e. games between their first teams) has not been devalued;

Second question: The true power (in England) lay with the clubs from the day the rfu failed to take professionalism in rugby union seriously - i.e. at its inception;

Third question: They will only be forced out by non-selection. This may be a problem for those Unions who insist that only players who play in their home country are elibible for selection.

above IMHO of course.
Tom Tom
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tom Tom »

keef wrote:it cost too much to go now! have you seen how much it is to take kids?!!....i cant afford to take my son(and i would love to take him to twickers!) they are pricing out us ordinary fans...but thats just my opinoin!
Quite agree Keef
AND the seats available (i.e.Not Corporate) are cr@p also.

It's just the usual rip off - ain't going to Twickenham again so my familys 4 tickets will be available.

I think Burly Bill makes a good point that the powers that be have in effect downgraded Rugby by all this constant squabling and showing their true colours about wanting Central Contracts and absolute control. The consultation document questionairre made that crystal clear!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the Devil knows you're dead!
FlyingTiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by FlyingTiger »

Far better pre-season games to be seen at Pirates, Bedfrod and Welford Rd
The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the reach
burly bill mclaren
Gold Member
Gold Member

well much as Id like to lay the boot into the bosses the wales v france friendly has £20 seats for adults - reasonable. england v france is £25 £45 to £50 each thats still a fair bit but its not too insane
H E RICHARDS
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

But will they be "test matches" or "Development XV's"?
TigerTimmy

Post by TigerTimmy »

Plus the £25 seats are at the back of the top teirs. A lot of money for not a lot of view.
www.myspace.com/polarbeauty (Random electronic doodlings)