Twickenham Don'ts?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

PinkLady

Twickenham Don'ts?

Post by PinkLady »

Very excited about Sunday and looking forward to seeing Tigers achieve the treble. However this is the first time I've been to Twickenham, and so wondered what the restrictions are on what you can take into the ground. Particularly I notice from the their leaflet that you can't take in bags, what does this mean? Are handbags or small back packs allowed? Usually take a small ruck sack to welford road and this is never a problem. So if anyone knows what the situation is I'd be glad of advice.
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Hi Pink Lady,

You are free to take in ruck sacks as I have no trouble taking them in myself. You would of course, have your rucksack searched though.

They are fussy about what drinks in but you can take in a plastic bottle of water. I think anything non-plastic would not be allowed. I am not sure whether a fanta type drink can be taken in.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

It just advises you not to take bags in. You can do but it will make things slow as your bag will be searched.
Dave W
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave W »

Went to the bar at HQ last weekend and bought a guinness for me and a bottle of pop for the lad. Went to walk off with the lid from the bottle (all plastic by the way) and the guy said I wasn't a allowed the lid for security reasons - hey! I see, take a little plastic lid but let me have the bottle instead (which i'm guessing would do more damage than the lid anyhow). World's going mad!
Never move faster than your guardian angel can fly...
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

Dave, the reason they take the lids off the bottles is to stop people throwing a full, sealed bottle at someone.

Without the lid, the liquid will not stay in the bottle if thrown & would cause less harm.

I know that people don't throw missiles at rugby matches but it is a policy across most sports grounds in the UK, especially multi-tiered stadia like Twickenham.

A tip for you though is to take your own screwtop lid with you so that when they take the one off the bottle you can replace it with the one you brought with you!
tigergirl
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by tigergirl »

My experience is that they're often very fussy about what you take in. Certainly no bottles but no cans either. You might get away with a small plastic bottle of water.
Dave W
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave W »

Doh, didn't think of that dave, now don't I feel a *** :oops:
Saxon
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Saxon »

Hi Dave W. Was it your son that asked the Glaws fans if they had permission from their mums to be there last Saturday?
TigerTiger....
andy182
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by andy182 »

I have a lot of things to bring down with me from the North East so if they think im coming all this way without a bag they can think again lol

We should be ok with them, have been reasured by a few people who have done it previously.
Bearded.Biker
Tiger Cub

Post by Bearded.Biker »

I got in last week with my backpack containing my waterproof (too brave to wear it) and half a dozen bottles of water from Asda.

It was searched on the way in but no probs. As there was no-one behind I made the guy search all the front and side pockets (which he didn't want to) to prevent him from being bored.LOL
Dave W
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave W »

Saxon wrote:Hi Dave W. Was it your son that asked the Glaws fans if they had permission from their mums to be there last Saturday?
absolutely! I got him to say things as I am a right coward... :lol: Taking him this Sunday also, he's really looking forward to it.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Don't put it in your bag. Secrete it about your person!!!
hardrucker
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by hardrucker »

how close do they search, a small hip flask ok? or is that a no no?
Wood Pecker

Post by Wood Pecker »

When we went for EDF final I asked at the gate if I was allowed to take food & soft drinks in - no problem was the reply. Last Saturday took loaded plastic cooler bag full of food and water/soft drinks - no problem.

If you go in early they don't appear to be interested in cooler boxes, handbags, rucksacks as long as you open them up. They may ask permission to fumble around but in Cardiff at M S person on gate told me they were not permitted to put hands in and move things around.

If in doubt ask don't risk it.
Wood Pecker Tigers
Pedigree Chum
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Twickenham Don'ts?

Post by Pedigree Chum »

PinkLady wrote:Very excited about Sunday and looking forward to seeing Tigers achieve the treble. However this is the first time I've been to Twickenham, and so wondered what the restrictions are on what you can take into the ground. Particularly I notice from the their leaflet that you can't take in bags, what does this mean? Are handbags or small back packs allowed? Usually take a small ruck sack to welford road and this is never a problem. So if anyone knows what the situation is I'd be glad of advice.
Hi Pinklady,

There are a few more restrictions not mentioned above
1. You are not allowed to take in any waspie fan with you, these are restricted to their own colony
2. Entry will be denied if you wear anything yellow or black, except for your yellow and green ribbon for Maddy which i hope as many of us can wear as possible.
3. you must leave all your arragance at the gate, only Lawrance and his insects take that in.
4. Chips can be bought inside, but please don't put them on your shoulder, you'll look like a wasp in tigers clothing
5. Wear you birthday suit if you wish, but a smile and a loud voice is essential :thumb:

I have been to all of Tigers trips to HQ since 1979 (you could sit where you wanted in them days) when i was a 9 year old tiger cub with Daddy Chum, (even the Sanyo cups), soak up the atmosphere and you'll have a fantastic day.

Hope you enjoy it :buddies: