Humble pie, anyone?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Kinoulton wrote:And of course if you assign a number to each letter (A=1, B=2.... Z+26)then "Tigers" = 78.

"Tigers, Tigers" = 156.

I think this means that Bill W is the only true descendent of Jesus, doesn't it?
That's going a bit far!!!!!

:mr.green: :mr.green: :mr.green:
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

I remember in the early part of the season doubting Pat's wisdom in constantly playing Louis Deacon at blindside when I thought our best back row was Moody, Jennings and Corry.

Can't say that I think I was wrong about that - 10 starts for that trio this season and 10 wins. Including 6 HEC matches, the EDF final, the match that put Wasps out of the GP race, and both knock-out matches on the way to the GP title.

I will concede, however, that it looks like Pat was rotating the back row to keep his best unit fit and fresh for the big matches. And THAT certainly seems to have worked.

All hail Pat.
Roblev

Post by Roblev »

Pat Howard, you can force feed me a BIG slice of that Humble Pie with a very large spoon.

At the end of last season I really thought Pat had reached his limit. Successive failures in the GP. I thought he'd taken us as far as he could. And that we were wrong to keep him for a further season.

Pat, I apologise unreservedly. I clearly know nothing about Rugby. Feel free to kick my backside the length of Welford Road!!
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

I'm naturally pessimistic. I can't help it, I was raised that way. It does mean that I am constantly surprised though.

I must admit to being very doubtful at the start of the season, and I'll hold my hand up to say that I did voice my doubts over a cetain Mr A Tuilagi. I'm more than happy to say I have been proved spectacularly wrong at every step.

That said, I still think we'll lose on Saturday, although I also didn't think we would beat Gloucester and look what happened there...
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

Yep, must admit I doubted Tigers ability and desire at the end of last season.

I think, for me, I was still a little pessimistic up until losing narrowly at home to Munster. What a game! And since then, the boys have played superbly!

Sorry for being pessimistic in the past - I have every confidence in a Tiger's treble now though! :mr.green: :mr.green:
Bud
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bud »

westy154 wrote: That said, I still think we'll lose on Saturday
Good think we're playing on Sunday then :roll:
Ed
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

KEEP T H E FAITH!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Like many others on here I'm pessimistic, glass half empty. (Typically because I drank the rest!) To put it another way "He who expects nothing is never dissapointed".

For me and many with whom I take a glass of medicine, English and Welsh, finishing top of the league is the true measure of a sucessful team. Sunday is important too, more so than last weeks thrashing of the Cherries, but it's going to be a bumpy ride IMHO. Expectation is high after last week, too high! Lets get a little level headed folks. Both feet on the ground!

My ass will be blessed with a Tiger's head tatoo that's been four years in coming. Possibly humble pie enough? Dunno!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

"But he who expects nothing achieves little!!!"

I look forward to toasting our success with you on Sunday!!!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

I think I've achieved enough! .........just managed to do it without a lot of pain and worry!

There's some really nice Armagnac tucked away for Sunday. Either to drown the sorrows or toast the victory. Either way, win or lose, it's not been a bad season. Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

I am keeping the faith as ever Big Dai that it will be toasting our success rather than drowning our sorrows.
Luke
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Luke »

Its very easy to say now that we never should have doubted the team, that there was nothing wrong at all! Blind optimism is as destructive as inherent pessimism...

I can recall moments over the last few years when I (and many others I'm sure) wondered what had happened to our great club. 12 months ago our back line was appalling, our forwards were trying to chuck it around like the Welsh grand slam team and it was awful at times (granted Tigers awful isn't the same as Saints awful ;o) ). Right now everything has clicked into place, but it hasn't always been this rosy, so I would like to keep the boastful in check!
Tigerbob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigerbob »

Bud wrote:
westy154 wrote: That said, I still think we'll lose on Saturday
Good think we're playing on Sunday then :roll:
Good job you said or Westy would have felt a little foolish waiting outside Twickenham for 24 hours! :oops:
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Some months ago I said we would win the EDF - lose in the European Semis and lose to Gloucester in the Final of the premiership

After we beat Llanelli I came on here and confessed to a more optomistic spirit and we could do the treble and I still hold to that revised opinion but I really do just hope that those little black and yellow baskets do not spring a suprise ( I couldn't face the crowing ) I just have to trust that complacency has been banished from that dressing room and they have it in them for one last almighty push.

We all want the team to win but after several years of disappointments and oh so close but so far - we dare not belive it could come true.

Also .... I have to say the team could still be improved in certain positions!!