Any Northampton candidates?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

cooke-1
Top Cat
Top Cat

Any Northampton candidates?

Post by cooke-1 »

Will the Tigers management hav any interest in one or two of the saints players?
Spencer?
Cohen?
lamont?
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

Spencer will surely want to see out his contract and visit lots of new places! (like Agen!!!!!!!)

Cohen is in the middle of a testimonial and as a local boy will no doubt want to stay to help them back to the Premiership.

Lamont is an good player, he would be an excellent signing. But I've read on another thread that Dave Angel says we are not making any more signings and Dave Angel has "contacts"!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

So likely we will sign Lamont?
champanzie
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by champanzie »

no
no and
would be good but cant see it happening
Come on you tigers!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Concurrence!!!
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Lamont would fit in very well here. Reihana is also an excellent footballer, although I would imagine that there would be no chance of him coming over here.
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Dylan "the thug" Hartley? :roll:
champanzie
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by champanzie »

i cant see alot of players leaving the saints.
Come on you tigers!
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Saints will keep all their players and they will come straight back up next season. Nat league 1 is the easiest league to win promotion from when you're one of the "big boys" quins did it and so have Leeds( altho I don't think the Leeds squad will be good enough to compete in the prem). I wish there were some decent teams in Nat 1 that would give teames like Saints a decent fight of it. They will have a stroll next season and not even have to break sweat.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

I agree g. Even apart from £ the difference in players is very significant.

Which is why (OMG I shall get accused of twisted a thread again!!) the rfu thought that they could play Nat 1 teams in the HC is ridiculous!!
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Cohen has been enquired about by a few club - most notably wasps, and i can see alot of the players for saints just upping and leaving - they have alot of foreign players who have no morale tieshe club - robinson and spencer et al - reihana i would imagine will stay but i cant see the likes of lamont staying - who is a melton lad - so maybe we could bring him in? salary cap permitting of course.
Oggle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Oggle »

saw him for the 1st time in the scot vs france game he was REALLY impressive.

but, come international duty he will definately be off... so would he be a worthwhile signing?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 4 »

I think you will all find that if you have a closer look at ND1 this year it has been highly competitive. For example, the team finishing 2nd have in fact beaten Leeds twice, while losing to Doncaster twice themselves. Further, they will be stronger next year, as will be Plymouth, Doncaster, Exeter and notably Cornish Pirates. I am not suggesting that Northampton will stay down, I am merely asking that you give a little more credibility to ND1. There is competition there. There was competition there this year. And there will continue to be so. And teams like Northampton to play against that bring crowds, and who will be very hard to play against thus raising the standard. However - it needs time, money, more coverage and more fans. Even when Sky actually covered a game their focus was elsewhere. The BBC could have easily shown the Pirates Exeter game with the Tigers Ospreys but must have chosen not to. It’s this almost pretentious outlook that means ND1 will always struggle. Also, just from experience I can tell you that ND1 is bringing a lot of talent through: Easter, Strettle, Lamont just to name a few have all played there. It’s not as bad as you make out. It can make the step up. It just needs time, and a helping hand.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 4 »

Just thinking about Saints candidates, waht about van Niekerk and Ashton?? I would have thought these two would be wonderful "signings from Saints" and both will now be looking for a club due to relegation.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Van Niekerk - we're good for number 8's - and more than sorted for the future with brett and crane.

Ashton - interesting - but it would seem he didnt have a get out clause in his contract anyway.