Guinness Premiership Week 22 Preview - Warriors To Fall?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Will-T
Top Cat
Top Cat

Guinness Premiership Week 22 Preview - Warriors To Fall?

Post by Will-T »

Week 22 - Final Weekend Preview

By far the most important matches in the Guinness Premiership this weekend are happening at Sixways and Franklins Gardens on Saturday afternoon. Both teams are in desperate need of a win, to push the other into National League One. Last season's relegated team Leeds are already guaranteed to be in the big time again next season, and could finish their 30-game league season with 125 points. Each match is intruiging in its own way, as Wasps travel to Leicester in need of a win, Bristol make the short trip east to Gloucester, Bath go up north to Kingston Park and current champions Sale go to London to visit Harlequins.

Gloucester v Bristol
This match could well be repeated again next weekend in the play-off semi finals. Gloucester have played some great rugby this season, with the likes of youngsters Ryan Lamb and Anthony Allen playing some great running rugby in the campaign, the mix of youth and experience shows at The Shed, with some seasoned pros and Internationals in the mould of James Forrester, Adam Bolding and James Simpson-Daniel helping the youngsters along. Gloucester will be favourites for this clash, although Richard Hill may have something to say on that matter. He has masterminded Bristol's brilliant success this season in the Premiership, and Tuesday nights 30-13 defeat of Leicester will do nothing but spur his team on. Danny Gray was in inspirational form in that game, and with England International Shaun Perry delivering his 'bullet pass', there may well be a decent attacking platform for Bristol to build upon.
Verdict: Gloucester win to cement top spot, Bristol made to worry about results elsewhere.

Harlequins v Sale
Quins have made a decent return to the Premiership after being relegated 2 years ago. After a shaky start, coach Dean Richards has spurred his team on, and managed to get some of his players into the England team. David Strettle - who is injured for the club's last match of the season - made a great impression during the Six Nations, and his forward team-mate Nick Easter was a surprise call-up during the spring as well. New Zealand legend Andrew Mehrtens plays his final game for Quins, and will be fired up at The Stoop. Sale have had a very difficult season with injuries, and after winning the Premiership title at Twickenham last season, have been unable to create that match-winning formula consistently. Jason Robinson has played his last game for the club, and big names such as Charlie Hodgson and Jason White still missing, the Sharks will just want to put this miserable season behind them.
Verdict: Harlequins win to end Sale's unlucky and forgettable season.

Leicester v Wasps
The Tigers have already got once piece of silverware in their cabinets this season, and this match is a 'warm-up' for when these two teams clash in the Heineken Cup final in 3 weeks time. The pair could also meet at HQ in two weeks time in the domestic season finale. Tigers welcome back the big guns after a poor display at Bristol. Here Andy Goode partners England No.9 Harry Ellis at half-back, and Daryl Gibson misses out with an injury sustained last weekend, Sam Vesty replacing him at 12 as he did brilliantly against the Scarlets at the Walkers Stadium. Wasps surprisingly leave out Captain Lawrence Dallaglio as Joe Worsley takes over. Josh Lewsey also returns at inside centre as Dan Waldouck misses out altogether. Interestingly, on the bench, Leicester-bound utility back Ayoola Erinle continues his comeback from a broken leg - which was sustained against Leicester earlier this season - and wins a place on the bench. Impressive youngster Danny Cipriani continues his run at fly-half.
Verdict: Tigers sneak victory as Wasps miss out on play-offs again.

Newcastle v Bath
Jonny Wilkinson has sustained yet another injury, and will miss out at Kingston Park tomorrow afternoon, although the injury isn't considered serious. In comes another England fly-half, Toby Flood. Newcastle's England contingent minus Wilkinson all play at 10, 12 and 13, and all may feature in England's starting line-up against South Africa in a months time. Bath skipper Steve Borthwick makes his 150th Premiership appearance, and unlike his opposition, will not be able to feature for England this summer, as he lead his team to a victory in the Challenge Cup semi final against Saracens. Olly Barkley plays at inside centre partnered with Rugby League convert Chev Walker. A win for Bath would probably take them above Newcastle in the table and into a possible 8th position, where as Newcastle could find themselves in 7th place by the end of the day.
Verdict: Bath come home with victory and leapfrog Wilkinson-less Newcastle in the table.

Northampton v London Irish
Undoubtedly the tie of the weekend. Saints must better Worcester's points return by 2 points to guarantee survival, and will have to do so without Dylan Hartley, who won't take part even though his 6 month ban hasn't been finalised due to appeal. Bruce Reihana plays at full-back as Captain, along with fellow southern hemisphere players Carlos Spencer and Mark Robinson. Ben Cohen also plays on the wing, hoping to be involved with England next month. London Irish are stll without Shane Geraghty and Mike Catt as they are injured. Riki Flutey heads an impressive back line with Tagicakibau, Bishop and Ojo making the back three. Casey captains the side from the second row.
Verdict: Northampton's power and passion after losing in the Heineken Cup semi-final last weekend should mean victory over an expansive London Irish.

Worcester v Saracens
Pat Sanderson captains the side, who still have survival in their own hands, a win would secure Premiership rugby next season. Thinus Delport and Shane Drahm are two of the men leading an inventive back-line, but it might not be enough if the Warriors' forwards don't step up to the plate and boss Saracens around. Saracens could find themselves out of the play-offs if Wasps win at Welford Road and they don't win themselves. Andy Farrell continues at inside centre, and is playing for an England shirt, and Worcester know, with Glen Jackson at 10, anything can happen if they don't keep focus.
Verdict: Worcester's need to win maybe greater than that of Saracens, but Sarries should have enough power to send Worcester down.
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

Worcs to win and stay up. The least they deserve after all their investment. Also if the Saint go down they may loose some of their southern hemisphere 'stars' and bring on more English talent
Jez

Only Winners Win!
Will-T
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Will-T »

its a really tough one to predict this weekend in all of the matches. Definitly the most exciting final weekend for a while as far as i can remember! (which isnt very long! :mr.green: )
Yelphere
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Yelphere »

Saints seem to be such an internally "sick" club - a season in the NLD1 should give them a reality check to sort itself out from top top bottom. Going down will do them a favour. I think they have the edge over Irish and Worcester will be hard pressed to win against Sarries.
Will-T
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Will-T »

I agree with the statement 'Saints seem to be an internally sick club'.

The only real reason for that to the average rugby fan is because so many foreigners have come in for pay cheques, meaning the saints's english youngsters have been left out and forced out
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

i hope wuss DO NOT GO DOWN.
Life was like a box of chocolates - until I ate them! :smt061
noakesdoc

Post by noakesdoc »

come on you wooooos
x_tigersgal_x
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by x_tigersgal_x »

ve got a feeling that Saints are going to be the ones that will go down unfortunately. At the end of the day someone has too but lucky for us we arent really in that bad of a position 8o)
* If at first you dont succeed, just pick yourself up and try again *

www.myspace.com/xxlucyxx89
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

I'm torn, I want both to stay. If push comes to shove I prefer Wuss because of their fight back from oblivion, whilst Saints just haven't performed. Why are they in the position they are with the team sheet they have? Probably because of the team sheet they have. It has all the names, but isn't a team. :roll:
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Nabuk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nabuk »

I hope it's the Saints who go down , I believe it would benefit the side in the long run as all their imports/ New Zealanders would disappear and they could rebuild a "team" rather than have a XV of individuals.
I RESOLVE TO BE NICER THIS YEAR !
redtiger
Super User
Super User

Post by redtiger »

i've posted on both fans forums to wish them luck. Cause like everyone else, i'd rather it was wasps!!
Forgot the resty - vesty is the besty!