How could we let Jennings go!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

huntsatiger

How could we let Jennings go!

Post by huntsatiger »

For the life of me I cannot understand how we could let Shane Jennings return to Leinster. He is a quality openside who we will miss next season. He brings balance to the backrow and works his socks off everygame - reminds me of a certain Neil Back.
Huntsatiger
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Re: How could we let Jennings go!

Post by dailywaffle »

huntsatiger wrote:For the life of me I cannot understand how we could let Shane Jennings return to Leinster. He is a quality openside who we will miss next season. He brings balance to the backrow and works his socks off everygame - reminds me of a certain Neil Back.
What should we have done ..... chained him to the posts ?

He is out of contract, and wants to play in Ireland. Not a lot we could do.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Hunts....dw is right, we didn't let him go, he wanted to go !! You are right though, we will miss him next season...I'm just a bit annoyed that he didn't get player of the season last year or this, he deserved it IMO.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

The irony is that he will struggle to make the same impact at Leinster as he has here, backrowers always look better behind a dominant front 5. Still, he has a dream of playing for Ireland, so who can blame him.

Sorry huntsatiger, I should have said welcome to the forum. :oD
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

He's unlikely to get in the World Cup squad, is the Magners League even running over the World Cup period? He'd have been playing a better level of rugby during the first half of next season if he'd stayed, but I don't suppose that the Irish selectors see it like that, look at Geordan, 1 missed tackle against France and he's bannished from the squad.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I don't know for definite but I have heard that there are reasons that go beyond rugby why he wishes to return home. Don't want to speculate, but it isn't right to have him painted as someone who is abandoning us.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Totally agree with you Iain. Shane wanted to return to Ireland and had honoured his contract giving 110% in every game he has played, he is not deserting us at all.
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

It would be absolutely criminal to view him as a deserter. Every performance he gives shows how much he cares - he simply couldn't have given more to the cause. A brilliant player. We will miss him terribly. I hope he goes on to enjoy a long international career. A guy can hardly be blamed for taking the decision to return home.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

I'd heard he was homesick, and there's the international thing. A great shame for us and for him I think as he'd get more experience with Tigs, but if his heart is back home there's no more to be said*. I think we should just feel lucky to have had the pleasure of his company and wish him all the very best for the future.

*If he is homesick then it's a fantastic tribute to his attitude and professionalism that he played so well and so hard for us.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
the George Best of Rugby
Tiger Cub

Post by the George Best of Rugby »

Shane deserves a big pat on the back and best wishes from us all. Great player who will be missed.
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

i hope that with shane gone we dont revert to lewis at 7. it has been quite obvious from shane has done what a top class seven brings to a side. likewise with lewis he is a far better six than 7 and his form has been brilliant in that position.
Goffer3404
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goffer3404 »

Shane impressed from his first appearance for Tigers. A superb player who gives his all. For the reasons that we all know he is returning to Ireland. If he gets into the Irish team, whoever they are playing, I'll be hoping he has a good game. I'm sure the likes of Luke Abraham will have watched and learnt. Thank you for the last two years Shane, good luck in the future. Let's hope the end of the season sees you having a few gongs around your neck.
glenn

Post by glenn »

opens the door for Luke Abraham at long last though as much as i would love to keep Shane.
x_tigersgal_x
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by x_tigersgal_x »

Good Luck to him!
He's played well, so we should be grateful for that.
* If at first you dont succeed, just pick yourself up and try again *

www.myspace.com/xxlucyxx89