Bristol Vs Leicester

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 4 »

No. Technically we can still finish 5th. If Wasps beat us with a bonus point, they will ahve won 13 (as have we). Their points difference would eb superior. Thus, they would gain the 4th playoff place.
andy182
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by andy182 »

From the sublime to the rediculous in 72 hours /o\
x_tigersgal_x
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by x_tigersgal_x »

Unlucky game tonight. Although we've done exceptionally well over the last few weeks. Fingers crossed for the Wasps game on saturday, should be an interesting game!
* If at first you dont succeed, just pick yourself up and try again *

www.myspace.com/xxlucyxx89
x_tigersgal_x
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by x_tigersgal_x »

andy182 wrote:From the sublime to the rediculous in 72 hours /o\
thats the thing, we played so well at weekend and have been thrown into action after very little time at all since the huge game against Scarlets. But cant really fault the lads attempts.

ziggy

Post by ziggy »

Lots of interesting debate going on, but again let's look at the positives for saturdays game.
1. It is at welford Road
2. Pat is likely to pick a stronger team, and I mean no disrespect to those who played tonight
3. I can not think of many teams that come to Welford road and take 5 points. obviously things do happen but i think we will still manage to at least be in the playoffs and probably finish second
x_tigersgal_x
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by x_tigersgal_x »

Yeah I agree with Ziggy on this one. I think at weekend there will be a slightly stronger team put forward against wasps, I feel Pat has allowed players such as Ellis to rest after all this weekend alone was challenging enough, we cant expect the same players to play over and over especially if games are scheduled days apart etc.

Tweentown

Post by Tweentown »

If Wasps get a bonus point win on Saturday and we fail to get a losong bonus point, then both teams will have 66 points.

The method to determine who finishes higher it that situation is as follows I believe:-

1. No of wins
2. Leaque points
3. Match points difference
4. Match points total
5. Head to head record

In this scenario both teams will have the same number of wins.

They also both have the same number of wins plus draws and so theoretically the same number of league points. However - I think we will find that the one point deducted will be treated as a league point (as opposed to a bonus point) - and therefore Wasps would finish ahead of Tigers.

If I'm wrong and the point deducted is not taken into account, then Tigers points difference is currently 12 points better than Wasps, meaning that Wasps would need to beat us by 13 points.

At the end of all this I think the view that Tigers need a bonus point on Saturday to be sure of a playoff place is likely to be correct. But a win without a bonus point is not enough for Wasps and this also assumes that Sarries win and Bristol at least draw.
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Oh well yet another 18 points GIFTED to the opposition because Tigers cannot keep there discipline in check. Still haven't learn't their lessons on that part of the game then.

Still I'm not the least surprised. And it has nothing to do with the structure of the season. Tigers always hand points to the opposition.
TigerAnt

Post by TigerAnt »

Tweentown, you are right except that the 12-point differential can be overcome by a 7-point loss (14 points either way). Which would have happened if we didn't get a bonus point.

To re-iterate the home draw issue, if Sarries win with a BP they get 68 points, with a 13-2-7 record. If we draw we also have 68 points with a 13-2-7 record. Whatever the sitch with the point deduction, Sarries already have a better match points difference, so they would go above us.

We therefore have to beat Wasps. However, this is all irrelevant as we will surely stuff them! :o)
tigergirl
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by tigergirl »

As I said in a previous post I do think we should have put out a stronger side tonight to clinch the play-off spot. Perhaps it was asking too much of the players, but it would have given them a day off on Saturday. It's going to be another nail-biter I think!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Whilst I have confidence that we can do well in the HCF. I can see the premiership ending in tears!

I'm very nervous!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
x_tigersgal_x
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by x_tigersgal_x »

Yeah HCF should be a great game and hopefully with a result that we will be most pleased with but at the moment I am still a little optimistic about just how well we will do with the Guinness Prem, but hey at least a possible two out of three isnt that bad. Althought the treble would be much loved. we shall see whats happens come game day on saturday.

simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

I didn't see the game or hear the commentary, so I am talking blind here in a way, but I can tell from what has been said on here and the Tigers report that we didn't play at all well although it seems we should have got at least 5 more points with composure and could have got at least a bonus point.

G has a point, to give 18 points away in any game through penalties is unacceptable and we gave Bristol this victory on a plate.

I know that these players hadn't played that much together recently but these are supposed to be good back-up if not challenging on first team players and to put in that sort of performance is simply unacceptable IMO and they have let down any travelling Tigers fans very badly. :mad: :mad:

I hope we do beat Wasps although I am not sure whether it will by a bonus win, but they have left the team facing a big hole if we lose and the thought of potentially losing out on at least a home play=off draw is very upsetting.

This was poor and that team should face a good rollicking. They have let the club down.

The only good thing to come out of it, is that Bristol's win gives them a three point advanatage over Wasps which could be decisive if they get a result against Gloucester although I wouldn't bank on that.

Oh well, there goes the chance of finishing top before the play-offs. I would rather have had that do a Wasps and win through coming second-fourth. That's presuming we get there.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

It just seems a bit daft to me that the reward for winnig the edf cup was to have to play this game tonight! Absolute soft, dangly, masculine genitalia ! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Last edited by Big Dai on Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Col_B
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Col_B »

It's all about faith

F irst in the premiership,
A nd then on to beat the,
I nsects, to lift our,
T hird