Tribute to Llanelli

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sparky
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by sparky »

my experiances of the weekend

friday night , met 4 scarlets fans in o neills and had few beers with them and they were cracking set of lads , real good banter good luck wished both way

sat morning , back in o neills for breakfast , met more llanelli fans and same again very confident and were up for the banter and we got on great

the game . sat in fosse stand , 3 green shirts in a sea of red !!! got plenty of stick but was all was good banter , all around us the fans were chatting to us apart from 1 guy to our left who told us if we won then quote " u 3 are dead!"
at 1st i thought he was just giving it large but as we celebrated jennings try he was trying to intimidate us and at 1 point thought he was gonna swing for us , as luck would have it the decent scarlet fans around us gave him a load of stick and he cleared off . many congratulated us on our win and made for a cracking day !!!!!!!
WickWelsh
Tiger Cub

Post by WickWelsh »

Moose wrote:while we're talking about Scarlets still, why are they associated with Turks? Saw what i assume to be a Turkish flag flying...is it something to do with the colours, or is there a more tangible link?
Moose, it's one of those shrouded in history things.

The most popular theories are:

1. The major tinplate producer in the town used to have a Turkish logo

2. A dockers strike was broken by the introduction of Turkish workers

3. A lot of Turkish POW's were kept in the area.

Not been able to find a definitive one. Everyone in Wales calls us the Turks.
noakesdoc

Post by noakesdoc »

Strange that sparky also we were in the scarlets end. Fantastic banter except for an old geezer behind who insisted on banging me on the head every time he disagreed with the ref/ play descisions. eventually i lost my rag and told him i wasnt't playing or reffing and to enjoy the game without involving me. after that all i heard was persisitant 'off side'. by the way we were behind the posts!!
sparky
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by sparky »

after a cracking weekend ive sort of got a soft spot for llanelli now , u cant knock their passion or patrism 1 bit . Stephen Jones even signed my programme so i was chuffed with him !!
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

it was a good game but at the end of the day the stonger team won! well on course to win it now! :oD
LadyRugger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by LadyRugger »

I am pleased that Tigers won, but wouldnt' have minded either way. Lllanelli are my faviorite Welsh team, and they certainly put up a good fight!
I need a hero, I'm holding our for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong and he's gotta be fast and he's gotta be fresh from the fight - I neeeeeeed one!!!
Lis113
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Lis113 »

What a fantstic game, fantstic atmosphere and just well...fantstic

Most Llanelli fans great, shaking hands, drinking beer and just generally fab people apart from a couple of fans after the game who had got hold of one of our flags and were burning it in the middle of the street, me and my Mum gave them a look and they told us to F off you F-ing ****.
Mafi is my man.
Clipper101

Post by Clipper101 »

Lis113 wrote:What a fantstic game, fantstic atmosphere and just well...fantstic

Most Llanelli fans great, shaking hands, drinking beer and just generally fab people apart from a couple of fans after the game who had got hold of one of our flags and were burning it in the middle of the street, me and my Mum gave them a look and they told us to F off you F-ing ****.
I can only apologise for the embarrasing minority of idiots that get drunk after eating a couple of wine gums and think it funny to abuse and swear at people. they are not representative of the vast majority of Scarlets fans..yes we are all passionate about our club but there are always some who take it too far.

Even though we lost to a far superior team on the day, had a nightmare coach journey home and missed last orders at the pub in Llanelli when we got back late, I have to say that both my daughter and I had a fabulous day and really enjoyed meeting Leicester fans.

Well apart from the guy who ripped a Tigers flag out of my 10 year old daughters hand and told her she was not fit to have it because she was a Welsh Gypsy. I dont know if she was more upset by his comments or the fact that she had swopped her Scarlets flag with a young Tigers fan about ten minutes earlier !

Like I said there's always an element we all wished we didn't have who turn up for big games never to be seen again !!

If anyone does have a Tigers flag they would like to swap for a Scarlets one please let me know. By the way I do live in a house and not a caravan so she isn't a Gypsy, honest guv. But Welsh, most definitely, and she wouldn't have it any other way.

Good luck to you in the final...the Wasps deserve a good swatting if you ask me !!! Hope you get the treble.
Waggy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Waggy »

I can honestly say, I've never come across a friendlier bunch ( well maybe Munster). Your Team and Your Fans did you credit. Your support is passionate and brought out a good reception from Tigers. We hope to see you agin soon :oD
Caerlyr Osprey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Caerlyr Osprey »

Another origin for the 'turk' name comes from the Crown Buckley Brewery having a saracens head as it's logo. I remember hearing that on the scrum v fans zone thingy a while ago.

A good weekend only spoilt by the result - the curse of the crisp bowl goes on for me at least.
Swansea Cricket & Football Club - The First British Club Side To Beat The All Blacks, Springboks & Wallabies.
The Ospreys The First Welsh Region To Beat A Touring Side
Leicester Football Club The First Back To Back Winners of The European Cup
Flushfolder

Post by Flushfolder »

theitalianjob wrote:Sadly I saw the worst side of the Scarlets fans today when they knocked my "beer run" over my 11 year old son and told him "f off" and support a proper team. Have an open mind but still hate the Welsh!
if its any consolation, i went base over apex trying to get back to my seat and spilt four pints over three scarlet fans.
to be fair they took it very well, though they did siggest that maybe i should stick to coke from now on!
top blokes.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Clipper101 wrote:
Lis113 wrote:What a fantstic game, fantstic atmosphere and just well...fantstic

I can only apologise for the embarrasing minority of idiots that get drunk after eating a couple of wine gums and think it funny to abuse and swear at people. they are not representative of the vast majority of Scarlets fans..yes we are all passionate about our club but there are always some who take it too far.

Even though we lost to a far superior team on the day, had a nightmare coach journey home and missed last orders at the pub in Llanelli when we got back late, I have to say that both my daughter and I had a fabulous day and really enjoyed meeting Leicester fans.

Well apart from the guy who ripped a Tigers flag out of my 10 year old daughters hand and told her she was not fit to have it because she was a Welsh Gypsy. I dont know if she was more upset by his comments or the fact that she had swopped her Scarlets flag with a young Tigers fan about ten minutes earlier !

Like I said there's always an element we all wished we didn't have who turn up for big games never to be seen again !!

If anyone does have a Tigers flag they would like to swap for a Scarlets one please let me know. By the way I do live in a house and not a caravan so she isn't a Gypsy, honest guv. But Welsh, most definitely, and she wouldn't have it any other way.

Good luck to you in the final...the Wasps deserve a good swatting if you ask me !!! Hope you get the treble.
Clipper, PM me your address and I will send your daughter one of my Tigers flags.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
fozzie

Post by fozzie »

I had fun right up until we lost the game and our coach broke down on the way home, meaning that I had to spend hours sitting in a car park waiting for a replacement coach to pick us up, instead of meeting hot women back in Llanelli. Anyways, here's my photos of the day; http://www.flickr.com/photos/diablo74/
I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.
ospreyflier

Post by ospreyflier »

The Turk Thing. I think there is a crescent moon in the town's coat of arms. I wouldn't swear to it but I am almost sure there is. Good luck in the final Tigers.
You know it makes sense
fozzie

Post by fozzie »

ospreyflier wrote:The Turk Thing. I think there is a crescent moon in the town's coat of arms. I wouldn't swear to it but I am almost sure there is. Good luck in the final Tigers.
not that I've noticed. The Turkish ships stopping in Llanelli docks seems to be the most popular explanation.
I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.